Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 20, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/dining/inflight-dining-changes.html



Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If youre on a flight under 1 hour, youll receive beverages on request. Well also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, well provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, youre welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy. In the premium cabin, youll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If youre flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, youll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.


crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed





Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Aug 15, 21, 6:28 pm
  #2011  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: united
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Keeping the foil cover on will reduce the likelihood of a meal garnished by sneeze droplets or virus exhalations that have drifted into the path of the food cart.

For those sitting in the aisle seats, that is the most common direction to cough, sneeze, or breathe.
I am a big fan of this as well.

I think there's a fundamental divide between substance and symbolism. When I fly business class, I want a decent meal served fast and safely, followed by sleep in a comfortable lie-flat seat. I don't want to, or expect to, be served like it's a fine restaurant in the sky. That doesn't matter to me at all, because it neither affects the taste of the food nor makes it easier for me to get to sleep.
SPN Lifer likes this.
dilanesp is offline  
Old Aug 15, 21, 6:36 pm
  #2012  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 6,722
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am a big fan of this as well.

I think there's a fundamental divide between substance and symbolism. When I fly business class, I want a decent meal served fast and safely, followed by sleep in a comfortable lie-flat seat. I don't want to, or expect to, be served like it's a fine restaurant in the sky. That doesn't matter to me at all, because it neither affects the taste of the food nor makes it easier for me to get to sleep.
im in the fine dining in the sky camp. Miss the ole UA days with PDB in a glass, Dinner served in courses, dessert cart and cheese service. Bring back memories huh?
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Aug 15, 21, 8:11 pm
  #2013  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 11,289
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post
im in the fine dining in the sky camp. Miss the ole UA days with PDB in a glass, Dinner served in courses, dessert cart and cheese service. Bring back memories huh?
You should try LH F or LX's F or J... they have all of those amenities you are missing.
fly747first is offline  
Old Aug 18, 21, 4:37 am
  #2014  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 6,445
Had to switch to UA for my return from the UK next week.

I haven't actually flown UA J before, but I gather that the experience isn't what it used to be. But still, it can't be any worse than Delta's J catering circa 2019, right?

I'll report back on how things go.
KDCAflyer is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 7:03 am
  #2015  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Anywhere but home
Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 4,461
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
Had to switch to UA for my return from the UK next week.

I haven't actually flown UA J before, but I gather that the experience isn't what it used to be. But still, it can't be any worse than Delta's J catering circa 2019, right?

I'll report back on how things go.
If you set your expectations low, then you won't be too disappointed.
Xyzzy likes this.
FlytheTail is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 7:55 am
  #2016  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ORF, RIC
Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Posts: 5,981
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
Had to switch to UA for my return from the UK next week.

I haven't actually flown UA J before, but I gather that the experience isn't what it used to be. But still, it can't be any worse than Delta's J catering circa 2019, right?

I'll report back on how things go.
Please read a few pages of posts on this thread. Your expectation will then be properly set. If you are lucky to have a nice crew, your expectation will be exceeded.
Have a good trip.
Kmxu is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 8:08 am
  #2017  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: IAH & CMH
Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Posts: 636
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
Had to switch to UA for my return from the UK next week.

I haven't actually flown UA J before, but I gather that the experience isn't what it used to be. But still, it can't be any worse than Delta's J catering circa 2019, right?
<Holding United's beer>
MBS MillionMiler likes this.
Dyce is offline  
Old Aug 18, 21, 8:15 am
  #2018  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,842
Originally Posted by Dyce View Post
<Holding United's beer>
I will take every single aspect of Delta 2019 over todays abysmal mail it in service.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 8:25 am
  #2019  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 4,657
I was thinking about UA still offering drinks in plastic cups, a la kindergarten. If you're departing a station that has a United Club why not bring a glass from there with you, use it on the flight and leave it onboard when you leave. You haven't stolen it and it might get UA to begin to return their product to where it should be.
worldtrav is offline  
Old Aug 18, 21, 10:59 am
  #2020  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 301
Originally Posted by worldtrav View Post
I was thinking about UA still offering drinks in plastic cups, a la kindergarten. If you're departing a station that has a United Club why not bring a glass from there with you, use it on the flight and leave it onboard when you leave. You haven't stolen it and it might get UA to begin to return their product to where it should be.
The crew would probably throw it in the trash after the flight.
Will Dearborn is offline  
Old Aug 18, 21, 11:28 am
  #2021  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 6,445
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I will take every single aspect of Delta 2019 over today’s abysmal “mail it in” service.
Delta's international J meals were absolute {removed} in 2019. To the point that I wish they had loaded some of the more common domestic FC meals instead.

From what I've read, UA is running far behind AA and DL in terms of restoring onboard service, but unfortunately I really need that late afternoon nonstop into IAD.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 18, 21 at 12:19 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
KDCAflyer is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 1:12 pm
  #2022  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,842
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
From what I've read, UA is running far behind AA and DL in terms of restoring onboard service, but unfortunately I really need that late afternoon nonstop into IAD.
I would argue that UA is far ahead of DL in restoring inflight service, and in some cases UA is doing a better job than AA. But, YMMV.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 1:57 pm
  #2023  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, DL PM, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 6,445
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
I would argue that UA is far ahead of DL in restoring inflight service, and in some cases UA is doing a better job than AA. But, YMMV.
IDK. When I flew over here on AA, they had a full printed menu that looked about normal. No pre-departure beverage, but everything else seemed right.

Again I have zero baseline for United, other than the marketing that Polaris is (supposed to be) a great product. But honestly this is mostly about the seat these days I guess. I managed to get a good last-minute J award price, so I can't complain.
KDCAflyer is online now  
Old Aug 18, 21, 2:28 pm
  #2024  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Posts: 8,842
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer View Post
IDK. When I flew over here on AA, they had a full printed menu that looked about normal. No pre-departure beverage, but everything else seemed right.

Again I have zero baseline for United, other than the marketing that Polaris is (supposed to be) a great product. But honestly this is mostly about the seat these days I guess. I managed to get a good last-minute J award price, so I can't complain.
Exactly. In some cases. AA is ahead of UA on premium transcons and longhaul. UA is doing better than AA on its longer non-transcon and hub-hub routes. Other routes AA is serving more than UA. Very much a mixed bag.
SPN Lifer and econ like this.
EWR764 is online now  
Old Aug 19, 21, 4:24 am
  #2025  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: At home in the PNW
Posts: 50,029
Originally Posted by Kmxu View Post
Please read a few pages of posts on this thread. Your expectation will then be properly set. If you are lucky to have a nice crew, your expectation will be exceeded.
Have a good trip.
This. Over the past 4 weeks I've flown UA 4 times across the Atlantic. One flight was miserable - bored, vacant FAs, one drink and they disappeared, lukewarm food. Two were exceptional - attentive crew, asked for our drink preferences and knew what kind of wines were on board, didn't disappear after meal service, kept snack baskets stocked, and poured drinks throughout the flight. One was somewhere in between.
halls120 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread