Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1K
As a 1K flying in economy, will liqour/drinks with ice, comped snack box be available again?
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The notice has always been insulting nonsense - at least Delta was transparent about their cuts but made it clear that normal service would be restored when it was both safe and economically feasible to do so.
On Delta.com - under the section, ways we are keeping you safe

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...board-services

Food and Beverage Offerings

We’re paring down our onboard food and beverage options in an effort to reduce physical touch points between customers and employees.

Onboard Services and Amenities

Because cleanliness is a top priority, we’re making changes to our onboard service and amenities to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while maintaining comforts you enjoy.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 1:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The notice has always been insulting nonsense - at least Delta was transparent about their cuts ....
You said DL is transparent and not claiming safety as the core motivation but this is what DL says

To ensure we provide you the safest travel experience, we are making temporary changes to the onboard experience. We are now only serving essential food and beverage options on all flights to reduce physical touchpoints between our customers and crew.
That does not appear to be any different of UA's messaging.
and
We’re paring down our onboard food and beverage options in an effort to reduce physical touch points between customers and employees.
Repeatedly DL on their website is stating this a safety issue, the same as UA. Is not the DL message equally insulting??

Regardless of the expense reductions which clearly is an issue with all airlines at the moment, DL's and UA's and others, are highlighting the safety ascept (because it sells better). UA is not unique.
SPN Lifer, st3 and COSPILOT like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
More evidence that Scott Kirby is a disease: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...er-2200-miles/
Old Jul 18, 2020, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
More evidence that Scott Kirby is a disease: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...er-2200-miles/
What does that article have to do with United Airlines?
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
By definition, everything that happens at UA and AA is Kirby's fault. Especially as it relates to CV-19 inflight service

David
dkc192 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Repeatedly DL on their website is stating this a safety issue, the same as UA. Is not the DL message equally insulting??
on the FT UA Board? You’ve been here way long enough. I thought when service reductions are the same at both, there is always a reason why It’s ok for DL to do, but unacceptable for UA.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
What does that article have to do with United Airlines?
was wondering the same thing. DL meals are cut also, but maybe it goes back to my other point above.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
On Delta.com - under the section, ways we are keeping you safe

https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-u...board-services

Food and Beverage Offerings

Onboard Services and Amenities

Because cleanliness is a top priority, we’re making changes to our onboard service and amenities to ensure the safety of our customers and employees while maintaining comforts you enjoy.
I am referring to the emails sent by Ed Bastian, the CEO of Delta, who has sent me about 5 emails vs Kirby's 0. In his emails, he apologized for the service changes, acknowledged that economics were involved along with safety, and promised to restore standard service as soon as possible.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:52 am

I am referring to the emails sent by Ed Bastian, the CEO of Delta, who has sent me about 5 emails vs Kirby's 0. In his emails, he apologized for the service changes, acknowledged that economics were involved along with safety, and promised to restore standard service as soon as possible.
So, no outrage over email content versus what it says on the website? Seems like inconsistent messaging and deception to me (at least that is what people would say if UA did that)
SPN Lifer and st3 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying CVG-ORD this week (first time since Jan) in F. Flight is listed as 1 hour, 23 mins, but from being on this segment like a hundred times, I know its typically actually ~50 minutes in the air.

should I expect the all-in-one snack bag in F? if it makes a difference, this is a CR5, but I assume they aren’t using the self-serve snack/beverage area. Personally, I don’t really care either way, however, traveling with kids, so that’ll make a big difference on how to prepare.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Flying CVG-ORD this week (first time since Jan) in F. Flight is listed as 1 hour, 23 mins, but from being on this segment like a hundred times, I know its typically actually ~50 minutes in the air.

should I expect the all-in-one snack bag in F? if it makes a difference, this is a CR5, but I assume they aren’t using the self-serve snack/beverage area. Personally, I don’t really care either way, however, traveling with kids, so that’ll make a big difference on how to prepare.
Beleive the time threshold is not the listed scheduled (gate to gate) time duration but rather the scheduled in-flight time, so you may be under the 1 hour for
For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Beleive the time threshold is not the listed scheduled (gate to gate) time duration but rather the scheduled in-flight time, so you may be under the 1 hour for
that’s exactly what I was wondering about. It does say no meal on this flight (or similar), but given the amount of meal inaccuracies I’ve seen UA list in normal times, This is one area where I definitely trust FT’ers more than what UAs site says.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
that’s exactly what I was wondering about. It does say no meal on this flight (or similar), but given the amount of meal inaccuracies I’ve seen UA list in normal times, This is one area where I definitely trust FT’ers more than what UAs site says.
What do you see listed in flight status for amenities? Appears to be beverage only.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I flew DTW to ORD in first and wasn’t even offered water. I was happy I’d packed a bottle after Security. A few days later I flew LAS-ORD-DTW and. the short flight had nothing in 1st. Not that I expected anything, but would water be such a big deal? It’s a very short flight, 50 minutes I think? But I had medication to take so my overpriced airport bottle of water was a blessing. I’d say to go in prepared with water at least.

The longer flight to LAS was the first with ice in quite a while the FA said. I was served ice in a blue plastic glass. They had 2 of the boxes they sell in economy and I was glad to be in 1A being a picky snacker. I got the Tapas, as did my seat-mate. They had plenty of ice which I like with a Coke, and left the cans with us to avoid too much contact.

Flying LAS-ORD, they gave me the same except for only a few ice cubes. Warm soda is a pet peeve of mine but THIS FA said they’d run out in economy and were “still working on the ice.” I had a Tapas snack box and as I hadn’t eaten, a half sub from LAS.

It’ll be interesting to see when they make a change back to real food.

Last edited by thaliajen; Jul 19, 2020 at 9:53 pm Reason: Left part out
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by thaliajen
I flew DTW to ORD in first and wasn’t even offered water. I was happy I’d packed a bottle after Security. A few days later I flew LAS-ORD-DTW and. the short flight had nothing in 1st. Not that I expected anything, but would water be such a big deal? .....
For sub-hour flights, beverages / water is available on request in First. Did you make such a request?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.