Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
I highly doubt they offer a Japanese meal option. I'm just hoping for some food besides what they serve in economy.
I wouldn't be surprised if it has been cut. This thread has some pictures of TATL meals from last month:
2020 Let's Eat - Polaris Business

Originally Posted by spier072
Quick question if I am in econ on a flight to Hawaii, will there be alcohol served?
No (unless I missed something). All buy-on-board has been suspended, which cuts alcohol from the economy service.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
they should have the kids boxes, too, right? For the kids obviously, but we’re going ORD-SFO (in F), and obviously the kids (5 and 2) are going to be much happier with one of those.
Yes, they typically have the 'Adventure Bear' box too. And from my observations it doesn't seem to be only kids happier with it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by fumje

Yes, they typically have the 'Adventure Bear' box too. And from my observations it doesn't seem to be only kids happier with it.
This is my preferred snack box. It has Crayons and everything.

Once had a FA double and triple check that it was the kids snackbox that I wanted with my white wine, over the salad option. I think it has the best combo of snacks. apple sauce, beef stick, fruit chewys, goldfish & teddy grahams (if i remember correctly)

Are they still offering 2 snackboxes? Read at one point you could get a second one if you asked
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by random.parts
This is my preferred snack box. It has Crayons and everything.

Once had a FA double and triple check that it was the kids snackbox that I wanted with my white wine, over the salad option. I think it has the best combo of snacks. apple sauce, beef stick, fruit chewys, goldfish & teddy grahams (if i remember correctly)

Are they still offering 2 snackboxes? Read at one point you could get a second one if you asked
I don't think they pro-actively offer two boxes now, but if you ask they'll usually get you another.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
In my pre-CV19 UA flying days, I would request a kid's snack box as my second (if I wanted one) so that at least the whole cabin (with or without kids) would have their shot at getting few that were on board.

I didn't want to be the one the FAs pointed to when they got to a row and a parent requested a kid's box - and had none...

David
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:22 am

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
I'm flying UA881 (ORD-HND) (Chicago to Tokyo-Haneda) next week in J.

Not expecting much, just hope to have a quiet cabin and decent sleep. I don't plan to drink anyway, maybe just one or two glasses of wine to help me fall asleep 😴

Looks like only ~8 pax - group of six in the rear-right of the second cabin (closest to United Plus), 1A occupied, and 1-2 more from what I can see on the United site now...

Anyone think 1K is reserved all the time? Also any ideas about the group of 6 in the back?
I’m interested how your getting into Japan? I’m told only people with passports from New Zealand, Australia, Vietnam and Thailand are allowed into Japan. Is there a way for Americans to enter the country?
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I’m interested how your getting into Japan? I’m told only people with passports from New Zealand, Australia, Vietnam and Thailand are allowed into Japan. Is there a way for Americans to enter the country?
Largely, no. Check out our corona thread in the JP forum and my posts in particular for more information. In short, as a tourist or business person, not going to happen any time soon. Perhaps even next year as an American.

Anyways, this thread should stay on topic..
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Has anyone taken a "pajama" flight? That being said, are they still offering them on these flights?
Old Jul 12, 2020, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Sounds like a good set of reasons to fly LH.

David
agreed. I like the UA seat better (unless I can get F on LH of course ) but the service on UA sounds truly pathetic right now. LH has no service changes.
Not sure when I will fly TATL again, but I might re-book October from UA to LH if these reports continue.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Has anyone taken a "pajama" flight? That being said, are they still offering them on these flights?
I’ve flown UA GF and Biz for a decade as a GS and before that a 1K, to every continent they fly. Never seen pajamas on a United flight. Ever.

At least provided by UA....
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ainternational
I’ve flown UA GF and Biz for a decade as a GS and before that a 1K, to every continent they fly. Never seen pajamas on a United flight. Ever.

Since the Polaris concept launched 4-5 years ago, UA has been providing pajamas on flights blocked at more than approximately 12 hours. Assuming you've flown on a UA flight to Australia sometime then, you should have seen UA pajamas on that flight at the very least.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...logistics.html
Old Jul 12, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I' took UA 90 6/29
Pajamas and slippers were provided when requested.
The entire bedding kit and the amenity kit were waiting on the seat

DLP
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Flying a CRJ from DTW-ORD there weren’t even beverages, even though “snack” was listed in Flight Details. But it’s only an hour flight and I departed B3 to find my next gate was B6, right by the only open UA Club in ORD. The machines+ soda, coffee, etc were not available but you could get a drink at the bar. I grabbed a Sprite and examined all the packaged food sitting out. I liked the packaged muffins but everything else was not to my taste. Still, I had to be grateful I could take my meds with food.

An hour later I boarded a739 to LAS. They said it was the first day they had ice. I enjoyed a can and glass of ice in First Class. This was the best flight of the four. We were given a choice of 2 snack boxes and I chose Tapas, even though I hate hummus. I was glad to get a snack, but I do believe the airline is dragging its feet on meals in 1st.

Returning from LAS the UA Club was not open. I bought a sandwich at the sub place and wow, I’m so glad I did! We were given soft drinks but they ran out of ice very quickly. The only snack boxes offered in first were Tapas, and I hadn’t eaten since the day before. That sub sandwich helped a lot.

Ord was disappointing bc my flight landed in C, and new flight took off in C. I only had an hour to get to B and swallow some popped chips. I should’ve just bought something in C.

ORD-DTW had nothing, not even water. But it’s a short flight.

I guess i can say it was enough, but if another airline is serving 1st in Domestic, I’m not sure why UA couldn’t manage cold sandwiches or something. It could’ve been worse, I guess!

They had coffee on my flight July 5th from ORD to LAS. But it was in a paper cup with a top on it. I don’t drink it but I love the smell. I’m not sure about Economy but 1st definitely had it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 13, 2020 at 12:01 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
Since the Polaris concept launched 4-5 years ago, UA has been providing pajamas on flights blocked at more than approximately 12 hours. Assuming you've flown on a UA flight to Australia sometime then, you should have seen UA pajamas on that flight at the very least.
Wow. Never saw them. Been on several 12+ hour flights. Are they by request like the duvet covers / comforters ?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Wow. Never saw them. Been on several 12+ hour flights. Are they by request like the duvet covers / comforters ?
Yep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.