Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by EWR764
The problem is that so few actually are flying, and the business traffic on which United's entire model is built is simply nonexistent right now... as will be evidenced by the staggering, mind-blowing (though unsurprising, to anyone paying attention) loss Delta posted today, and United undoubtedly will next week.
Then UA needs to change its model and serve those who are paying and flying. UA needs the high value flyers and needs somehow, someway to serve them.

CV19 is not going away. The sooner companies and folks get over it, the sooner different business models and operating procedures that scale with traffic volume, the sooner the markets and the economy will move along.

To feed its "few" Polaris Business passengers, UA and the other airlines could a) pool kitchen resources and manage costs accordingly, b) outsource to companies that can deliver at volume and at rate needed for the few flights, c) put folks to work who UA accepted funds from the USG.

Or do nothing. And hope it all goes away. As will various business models.

David
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
Then UA needs to change its model and serve those who are paying and flying. UA needs the high value flyers and needs somehow, someway to serve them.

CV19 is not going away. The sooner companies and folks get over it, the sooner different business models and operating procedures that scale with traffic volume, the sooner the markets and the economy will move along.

To feed its "few" Polaris Business passengers, UA and the other airlines could a) pool kitchen resources and manage costs accordingly, b) outsource to companies that can deliver at volume and at rate needed for the few flights, c) put folks to work who UA accepted funds from the USG.

David
Agreed. Innovation and adaptation to this new environment will be the only way companies survive. Penny pinching and death by a thousand cuts won't do it. I fly (flew) a lot. Entice me to pay for a J fare with a an adequate product and I will. What is going on now with the soft product is sub-par.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott

David
I am in complete agreement with you, with respect to the notion that we, as a society, need to find a way to cope with COVID-19 and move on in a manner that does not completely torpedo any chance of economic recovery in the next few years. So far, it's not looking good.

At this point, on even our best day, overall traffic is around a quarter of what was carried in 2019, and 2020 was supposed to be better than that. What's worse is that the traffic being flown is at considerably lower yield than 2019, suggesting it is mostly price-sensitive, leisure-oriented demand. To this point, I am not aware of any major companies permitting work-related travel. Certainly not in the financial services, tech, insurance or legal sectors. I am expecting an absolute freefall of demand post-Labor Day, if business travelers don't take back to the road en masse (they won't).

So we are very much still in a contingency mode. The ideas you mention could possibly work in the long-term, but this is still such a dynamic, fluid situation that I can't envision things changing very much in the short term. If things persist for a few more months, or even years, then airlines will need to adapt or die. But right now, July 14, 2020, I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect an already-slow moving industry to turn on a dime in furtherance of objectives that do not directly make billions of dollars of liquidity available in short order, or meaningfully reduce operating costs. That's where airlines are focused right now, and rightfully so... not in delivering soft product items that do not necessarily have a strong, favorable revenue correlation in even the best of times.

I also think it is a FT myth there is some meaningful contingent of high-revenue, international travelers out there who are making their travel decisions *now* based on quality of inflight product. These are not normal times. A few months from now (we can hope) when cross-border travel resumes with less-onerous restriction, and business travelers get back on the road, I would be all-in for pushing United (and others) to restore service levels. But for now, I just don't see the point... they have to work in the environment that currently exists.
SPN Lifer, st3 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

David
I think we have some insight into Kirby's way of thinking - so by changing the business model, here is my forecast:

1. reduction in flight frequency, abandoning certain routes, downsizing aircraft to continually reduce capacity
2. pulling out half of the Polaris seats, doubling the Y+ cabin, and filling the gap with more coach seats, packed even more tightly together to skew the metrics
3. modifying the presentation of today's inflight meals, but keeping the quantity/quality the same - meaning the crap you see today is the crap you will see tomorrow, just served in a nicer way
4. adding more fees, cutting more inflight amenities and features - changing Polaris linens, no more pajamas, etc
5. closing some or all of the Polaris Lounges permanently
6. eliminating the second meal on long haul Y+ and Y-
7. scaling back F+B options at United Clubs, and closing some locations permanently
Old Jul 14, 2020, 5:08 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
If people continue to pay the asking price for Polaris, this will only reinforce the Kirby Kutbacks have no recourse for United and they will stay as-is, under the phony guise of safety, for the foreseeable future. When people just stop buying tickets and book elsewhere where full service is available, I am pretty certain things will loosen up.
Where would that be exactly? The much-lauded SQ and EK both have some level of service cuts in their J cabin. AA or DL? Service cuts there as well.

I also think it is a FT myth there is some meaningful contingent of high-revenue, international travelers out there who are making their travel decisions *now* based on quality of inflight product. These are not normal times. A few months from now (we can hope) when cross-border travel resumes with less-onerous restriction, and business travelers get back on the road, I would be all-in for pushing United (and others) to restore service levels. But for now, I just don't see the point... they have to work in the environment that currently exists.
Absolutely agreed. The current situation is unprecedented for the industry and we can see both in the US and worldwide the industry is bracing for the worst case scenario that we are in.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 14, 2020 at 7:03 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When 877 SFO-HKG got canceled we switched to CX out of JFK. I've forgotten how bad the food on UA is these days. The CX meal in Y was as good or better then UA C arguably. lol. Sundae aside. Though they did serve haggen-daz bars. Yum.

I'm hoping HKG can muster up something decent on the flight back if UA keeps HKG on the schedule.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing to keep in mind is that most flight kitchens in the USA (and elsewhere, I'm sure) have already laid off or terminated much of their respective workforces, so they are operating at drastically reduced capacity. Plus, as was pointed out upthread, government restrictions are impacting food service operations and supply chains. So, not only is this an effort to reduce costs by UA, but it's also a function of what kitchens are able to deliver at this time, which is why (setting aside "hygiene theater") we are seeing a lot of prepackaged and shelf-stable items, if anything is served onboard at all.
I happen to know people who are working in/with airline caterers. All catering firms have cut staff, many have workers on part-time schedules. There is no issue whatsoever to prepare food as pre-Covid. In one station, they currently prep for 3 carriers. Two of them do full F & J-service (as reportedly LH/LX do as well), one is in cold food/sandwich mode. Typically they get the overall monthly schedule 2-4 weeks out. Final adjustments (add, cancel a flight) are usually within a 48 hrs window.
They have workers on call to serve those last minute changes. Crew meals are like pre-Covid, some now are ordered for cargo-only flights as well, e.g. crew-only, no pax catering.
Many of non-working staff are prepared/very willing to come back to work, so there would be no issue on the production side, if/when airlines are adding flights or go back to regular/pre-covid catering.

There seem to be no government restrictions on the production side, e.g. situation is similar/identical to restaurants preparing food for take-out, if not served on premises.

Bottom-line: this ball is in the airline's court, not the caterers.

(Not to discount your thoughts, EWR764 )
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jul 15, 2020 at 12:12 am
Old Jul 15, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I happen to know people who are working in/with airline caterers. All catering firms have cut staff, many have workers on part-time schedules. There is no issue whatsoever to prepare food as pre-Covid. In one station, they currently prep for 3 carriers. Two of them do full F & J-service (as reportedly LH/LX do as well), one is in cold food/sandwich mode. Typically they get the overall monthly schedule 2-4 weeks out. Final adjustments (add, cancel a flight) are usually within a 48 hrs window.
They have workers on call to serve those last minute changes. Crew meals are like pre-Covid, some now are ordered for cargo-only flights as well, e.g. crew-only, no pax catering.
Many of non-working staff are prepared/very willing to come back to work, so there would be no issue on the production side, if/when airlines are adding flights or go back to regular/pre-covid catering.

There seem to be no government restrictions on the production side, e.g. situation is similar/identical to restaurants preparing food for take-out, if not served on premises.

Thanks, cesco.g.

Since this is the United forum, again I will point the finger at UA management and again tell them either lead this airline or turn the reins over to some folks who are willing to.

Hiding behind CV19 isn't doing anyone any good. And the inflight service and catering still sucks.

Do something about it.

David
cesco.g and leoo like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by st3
Where would that be exactly? The much-lauded SQ and EK both have some level of service cuts in their J cabin. AA or DL? Service cuts there as well.
AA is offering full service sans sundae cart on their transcon routes, unlike the prepackaged crap that UA is throwing at pax (Dole fruit cups, seriously?). Same goes for long haul--AA is serving a standard menu sans sundae, whereas UA is basically serving a domestic F meal.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
While I know nobody likes it, I'm all for the cuts - if that's what it takes to prevent bankrupcy. As much as it hurts me to say this now, I would rather have a Classic Box and a Diet Coke in domestic first now to be able to enjoy a better experience once this is over with. My only concerns are that A, Savings in F&B costs ($10.00 to $20.00 per person on a domestic OW in F) are too minimul to offset the loss of posibly $100,000 in revenue per flight, and that 2. They trully are driven by profit motives rather than survival motives.

I do feel that any airline has to offer a better service on a long haul oceanic flight. With minimul opportunities to buy food at the airports and the TSA rules limiting what can be brough into the terminal, an airline can not expect someone to show up at the airport 2 hours before departing on a 10+ hour flight and serve what is being served. I place the responsibility on the airlines becasue they DO have the ability to bring food and beverages beyond security that the passengers can not.

Disclamer: The numbers are generic guesses only with the purpose of showing the magnitude of the savings per the losses.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
My gut says these in flight service changes are going to last longer, meaning that some form of reduced service from pre coronavirus will stay for the long term - under the precipitous of the pandemic but really to just reduce costs.

Makes me wonder if AA status matches GS right now. Or JL.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
AA is offering full service sans sundae cart on their transcon routes, unlike the prepackaged crap that UA is throwing at pax (Dole fruit cups, seriously?). Same goes for long haul--AA is serving a standard menu sans sundae, whereas UA is basically serving a domestic F meal.
LH is also offering most of their full product in J and F.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cesco.g

It's OK... one personal motto is, "often in error, never in doubt."

Still, the bigger issue is the fact that airlines are presently losing money unlike any other time in history... a swing from billion-dollar profits to multibillion-dollar quarterly losses in just a few months, burning through tens of millions of dollars every single day since March with no end in sight. The catering issue is just one tiny component of an entire system, indeed an entire economy, that is in total disarray like never before.

In light of that, I feel complaining about catering standards (when, in actuality, United is currently about the middle of the pack, as it usually is) is just tilting at the proverbial windmill, right now. Like I said, if we turn a corner on this thing, stop the bleeding and demand profiles get healthier, meaning business travelers return to the skies, then I am all for pushing back on giving us a lower quality experience. I think I have a track record here of calling out United for its legion of stupid, penny-wise/pound-foolish decisions that do nothing but cheapen the product, especially when it comes to catering. But at the moment, I just don't see the point. The usual refrain of "well, high-yield travelers are simply going to take their business elsewhere" rings hollow right now, because the numbers plainly demonstrate the overwhelming majority of those passengers are not flying, and even if they were, there are a fraction of the options previously available.

I just can't reconcile viewing the current situation through the lens of the pre-pandemic industry, unless, of course, it is a function of grieving the loss of something we were previously so intimately familiar with.
FlyerBeek and st3 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold

I just can't reconcile viewing the current situation through the lens of the pre-pandemic industry, unless, of course, it is a function of grieving the loss of something we were previously so intimately familiar with.
Well said. The world, and the world of travel, is so different now that so many of the complaints here about food seem out of touch. I came to this thread to find out what catering to expect on a June transcon flight, one that I never took because of the Covid surge in California. Reading the harsh complaints about what is being offered is a bit tone deaf given the level of illness and death this country is currently experiencing.

And how are all these flytertalkers traveling internationally when I, as an American, am not welcome in most other countries? Heck, most Americans are not even welcome in New York right now and yet the flights keep coming.
EWR764, st3 and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
And how are all these flytertalkers traveling internationally when I, as an American, am not welcome in most other countries? Heck, most Americans are not even welcome in New York right now and yet the flights keep coming.
A lot of people are still traveling for business, plus there are a number of countries that are open for tourism as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.