Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 20, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/inflight/dining/inflight-dining-changes.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed

Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Jun 30, 20, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Agree. I’ve even thought about disposable shoes. Local’s (Flip flops) are cheap, less than $5.
Actually my stash of saved Polaris slippers as of a sudden comes in handy.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 30, 20, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home View Post
that’s my pre-COVID process
Hate to ask: what's your "post-COVID" process given your FT handle?

David
Old Jul 1, 20, 7:31 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Hate to ask: what's your "post-COVID" process given your FT handle?

David
driving to YYC as nobody is flying there any longer and using Teams instead of all my TATL and TPAC flights
Old Jul 1, 20, 10:00 am
Suspended

The Kirby interview said coffee, tea, and ice were approved on Monday. Do we know when they are back? Will liquor come with it in F/J?
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TN07NC10 View Post
The Kirby interview said coffee, tea, and ice were approved on Monday. Do we know when they are back? Will liquor come with it in F/J?
Starting July 3 (tomorrow). Also, liquor in all premium cabins.

However, Kutback on Saks amenities starting July 15:
It isn’t all good news on the passenger experience front, though. Beginning July 15, United will be reducing its Saks Fifth Avenue bedding on certain flights — that comfy Saks duvet will no longer be available in domestic business class, or in first class on lie-flat flights between the mainland U.S. and Alaska and Hawaii, with the airline offering a light throw blanket, instead.
Source:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...aks-amenities/
Old Jul 2, 20, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
However, Kutback on Saks amenities starting July 15:
Source:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...aks-amenities/
UA: Uh, where else you going to provision Saks blankets in the near term? TATL, TAPC & SA? And you still want domestic F/business F US passengers to pay more vs. the competition? Impressive.

David
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Scott Kirby is a disease.
cmd320 and leoo like this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
UA: Uh, where else you going to provision Saks blankets in the near term? TATL, TAPC & SA? And you still want domestic F/business F US passengers to pay more vs. the competition? Impressive.

David
How much premium traffic is there right now and is it really going to move to another airline with better bedding? Who is offering better bedding on competitive routes?
Old Jul 2, 20, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
How much premium traffic is there right now and is it really going to move to another airline with better bedding? Who is offering better bedding on competitive routes?
AA, DL, and B6 all offer duvets on transcons.
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725 View Post
How much premium traffic is there right now and is it really going to move to another airline with better bedding?
has anyone seen Mr. Pillows lately?

Who is offering better bedding on competitive routes?
Uh...

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
AA, DL, and B6 all offer duvets on transcons.
And now UA won't. Kut, Kut, Kut.

Scott Kirby: Least sharpest tool in the shed.

David
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by kevflyer View Post
Starting July 3 (tomorrow). Also, liquor in all premium cabins.
But I am not seeing anything to suggest that champagne will again be offered on Polaris flights in business class.
Old Jul 2, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'm not at all surprised regarding the Saks bedding - I lost count how many times I saw people blatantly put the blanket in their carry-on on the HNL-SFO route. Given F on the Hawaii routes often wasn't a bad deal (or the buyup reasonable) - they must've had a significant cost replacing them
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
I'm not at all surprised regarding the Saks bedding - I lost count how many times I saw people blatantly put the blanket in their carry-on on the HNL-SFO route. Given F on the Hawaii routes often wasn't a bad deal (or the buyup reasonable) - they must've had a significant cost replacing them
Rather than take the amenity away from everyone, they could just collect the blankets prior to landing, or just give them out (and collect them) to those who request a blanket?
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jul 2, 20, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Silver
Flew Domestic F today with a great crew. 1 seat open in F (737-900), snack bag, and I had two wines and ample offerings of more. Mini water bottles at seat upon boarding ala DL F.

Mask usage: 100%, passengers & crew.
Old Jul 2, 20, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Rather than take the amenity away from everyone, they could just collect the blankets prior to landing, or just give them out (and collect them) to those who request a blanket?
I don't know - I see the optics and logistics to be a challenge - do you wake me up 30 minutes before landing to take my blanket? What if I don't give it back and just say no? What do the FA's do with the blankets - do they have to fold all them? Crumple them all up and throw in a closet (which I doubt there is an empty one). I'm only speaking for the HNL-SFO, in the old days when F was a large premium over coach, it is a cost you can absorb - now that they've lowered the price point, I personally prefer the lower price point and will deal with a different blanket.
SPN Lifer and st3 like this.

Search this Thread