Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
This is definitely doable. The Airtrain between the rail station and C takes no more than 10 minutes. Headway is 2-4 minutes. You should be in C by 16:30, which still gives you a 30 minute cushion to check in (assuming wait times, etc).

Safe travels!
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Risky.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I would consider 2 hours prior to international departure with kids, no PreCheck and bags to be the minimum acceptable allowing for 10-15 min late train arrival at EWR.
This. Plus Amtrak is not consistently reliable. And you still have to take the Airtrain to the terminal, which is an additional 10+ minutes.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
This is definitely doable. The Airtrain between the rail station and C takes no more than 10 minutes. Headway is 2-4 minutes. You should be in C by 16:30, which still gives you a 30 minute cushion to check in (assuming wait times, etc).
For non status pax with no Pre-Check? And assuming no Amtrak delay into the NYC area? That's wishful thinking in my opinion
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The timing is doable, but I wouldn't put my flight departure in the hands of Amtrak running perfectly on-time. I'd aim for a train that gets in at least 2.5 hours ahead of time, if not even a little more.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I agree that it is cutting it too close. If everything goes smoothly, you'll make it. But any glitches could be fatal. Given that you are multiple people, have you considered taking a car service or shuttle from Philly right to the terminal? It could be cost effective.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:27 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
An UberX looks to be ~$90-100 from Philadelphia to EWR. Perhaps OP could assess the situation at the rail station (or before leaving for the rail station), and if things are not looking favorable, get in a car.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by Kacee
For non status pax with no Pre-Check? And assuming no Amtrak delay into the NYC area? That's wishful thinking in my opinion
I agree, it's risky, but I'm also assuming that OP already understands the risks with arriving 1:55 before departure. Besides, if Amtrak/SEPTA/NJ Transit are still having schedule problems with North Phila., we'd be hearing about it. I didn't hear anything in N.Y. last week.

Having done the ZFV-EWR connection many times, including around that time of the day, I'd be okay with OP's plan, but I can also understand why others would prefer a bigger cushion.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I agree, it's risky, but I'm also assuming that OP already understands the risks with arriving 1:55 before departure. Besides, if Amtrak/SEPTA/NJ Transit are still having schedule problems with North Phila., we'd be hearing about it. I didn't hear anything in N.Y. last week.

Having done the ZFV-EWR connection many times, including around that time of the day, I'd be okay with OP's plan, but I can also understand why others would prefer a bigger cushion.
Fair enough.

My last Amtrak ride into NYC from Boston (mid-April) involved creeping through Connecticut at about 10 mph. We arrived around an hour late.

I'm not a frequent EWR traveler, but seem to recall reading here that the UA terminals can be quite chaotic in the early evening, with lengthy waits at counters and security.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I didn't consider Uber as an option, and looking at the shaded service area on the map on Uber's Philadelphia page, it doesn't look like Philadelphia-EWR is a viable option on Uber: https://www.uber.com/cities/philadelphia

Unfortunately taking an earlier train has its own drawbacks, because the next earlier train leaves Philadelphia 3hrs earlier (at noon); there is no departure between noon and 3pm. So my predicament is either "cut it close" or "spend a lot of time in the airport".

I'm UA plat and I get pre-check almost always these days. I couldn't find the information on UA's site regarding bag check-in deadline; if it's 45 minutes then we should be ok. If the cut off is 60 minutes or more, then there's a problem. We're all sitting in Economy Plus and since we're checking in bags I don't need to board early to get overhead bin space.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:40 am
Suspended

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR

Take the early train and spend some quality time at the United Club
Old Jun 14, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: CO Gold
curbside checkin at EWR?

Is curb side check in available at C terminal EWR

Flying TATL if that makes a difference.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2015, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
Is curb side check in available at C terminal EWR
You can't check-in curbside for an international flight.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:59 am

Advice for EWR international connection

Flying United for the first time in many years in approx 10 days. We booked a low level award, had a schedule change, and switched to our current reservation details below.

Itinerary is MSY - EWR - VCE. There is only one flight per day from EWR - VCE, departing at 6:45 PM. It is the only direct United flight to VCE from North America systemwide. Our MSY - EWR segment is scheduled to get us in 2.5 hours before the international segment. Normally I would not be at all concerned, but our 12 PM departure from MSY to EWR has been delayed or canceled an inordinate amount of times in the last few days. Yesterday's flight was altogether canceled. There are typically only 3 direct flights from MSY to EWR per day, with only 2 arriving in time to make a 645 connection.

I called United to inquire about switching to the earlier flight and two reps stated I would need to pay a $75 change fee per ticket. The fee seems reasonable enough, but I wanted to get some opinions on if I should make the change now, or wait to see if a problem develops. If operations are normal on day of departure then we have nothing to worry about, but I'm just concerned about waiting too late, and missing a day due to irregular ops.

I appreciate any feedback in advance. Thank you.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I would not change, 2.5 hours is fine.

That said, if it's really only $75 and it gives you peace of mind, it may be worth it to you.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mjh00008
I called United to inquire about switching to the earlier flight and two reps stated I would need to pay a $75 change fee per ticket.
Two and a half hours is generously above the Minimum Connect Time for a UA domestic to UA international transfer at Newark. That's why UA asks for a change fee.

Don't drive yourself crazy looking at performance of unrelated flights. (Yes, if today's EWR-VCE is delayed much, tomorrow's VCE-EWR is likely to be delayed, but yesterday's MSY-EWR may be a different aircraft from today's MSY-EWR.) Check now for alternatives on other carriers for MSY-VCE and EWR-VCE, then check flight status early on your day of travel. If you're shown to be heading for a misconnect, quickly call UA and asked for your preferred routing. Trying to keep this to two segments, think about AA (US-operated) MSY-PHL-VCE departing from MSY at 12:50PM or Delta's MSY-ATL-VCE departing as late as 2:15PM.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:11 am

Thank you both! Good advice on preparing an alternate itinerary. For irregular ops can United push me onto a partner carrier? There are Air Canada and KLM routes with connections that wouldn't cost us much time if we make the change early if a problem develops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.