Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
MCT for EWR (2012)

https://www.newarkairport.com/at-airport/connecting-flights

United Airlines operates a shuttle bus between Terminals A and C from 5:00am to 10:00pm. In addition, United also operates a shuttle bus connecting Terminal B to Terminals A and C from 10:00am to 10:00pm. The shuttle bus is available at gate A28, B67, and C70 as illustrated in the image above. This service is free and you will not have to go through TSA security again. Please note this shuttle is operated at the sole responsibility of United Airlines and is subject to modification at their discretion.

Archive: Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Connection time/logistics-Domestic & International at EWR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Seriously, EWR takes a bad rap for reasons I don't understand. Term C is easy to navigate, and while A is akin to a bus terminal, at least UA makes it easy to get to/from C.
I can sum it up: surly staff and irrops issues.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by exerda
+1000, and if one is flying on UAX, they'll take the hit first.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Ahh. Being my home airport, I don't have IRROP issues here. As for the surly staff, you just have to know how to approach them. Have your ... stuff ... in order before approaching the desk, be precise, curt and direct. Think of the Seinfeld Soup episode, and you'll do fine here.

I get it - I live here... no time for formalities.

But yeah - I guess getting stuck in EWR during IRROPS would suck.... plenty of room on my basement pull-out couch if anyone needs it!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:58 pm
RNE

Not to mention surly passengers, like me.

To the OP: Although the shuttle trip is quick, there can be long lines and 15- to 20-minute waits just to get onto a shuttle. And that's in good weather and not a lot of tarmac traffic. To add insult to injury, the shuttle's departure and arrival points aren't dedicated areas, but narrow, roped-off walkways (with stairs, by the way) shoehorned in between crowded gates. They have no place to sit or otherwise find any comfort. Should you step away for, say, a bottle of water, you'll lose your place in line—and this assumes you don't mind crawling over the other people behind you. Once you get on the shuttle, don't expect to find a place to sit. Not that you'll need one for a quick trip, but still. The shuttle—while very useful—is like much of EWR: a haphazardly executed afterthought.

RNE, advising: don't dawdle.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
My experience is closer to others except for RNE. Do not be scared at all. There are good days and bad days. But the transfer between A and C is not stressful. Happy travels.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My experience is closer to others except for RNE. Do not be scared at all. There are good days and bad days. But the transfer between A and C is not stressful. Happy travels.
Agreed, except for the shuttle dragons at C71A who insist on inspecting your boarding pass to even "let you" on the shuttle from C to A. God forbid there's a restaurant at A you want to eat at and come back (not that there is, but you get the drift).

On the C side, there is a decent waiting area with chairs so providing the crowd isn't too bad, going C to A is reasonably easy.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
My experience with the EWR bus is much like RNEs... long wait, nowhere to sit, staff behavior best described as hostile.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Kmxu
You know very well I'm not telling the OP to be scared. I am merely describing the makeshift departure and arrival "areas," and the very real possibility one may have to stand in line for quite a while before boarding. Therefore, allow extra time.

RNE, disputing your sugarcoating.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
you just have to know how to approach them. Have your ... stuff ... in order before approaching the desk, be precise, curt and direct. Think of the Seinfeld Soup episode, and you'll do fine here.
^
Originally Posted by RNE
Should you step away for, say, a bottle of water, you'll lose your place in line—and this assumes you don't mind crawling over the other people behind you. Once you get on the shuttle, don't expect to find a place to sit.
Just like the New York City subway. No big deal. The objective is to get from A to C, and that's exactly what you get.

My only two gripes with EWR are (1) flights get punished for arriving early, i.e., no ground crew or jetway operator ready, etc. and (2) the speed and reliability of the monorail leave much to be desired.

EDIT: to answer the question about connecting, if I were connecting from a domestic flight to a once-a-day international flight, I would allow for 3 hours. It's what I do when I need to connect on the west coast for a TPAC.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:58 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by keoughma
If you're connecting into terminal A, there's an airside bus shuttle that will transfer you from A to C. It takes usually 5-10 minutes.
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
The objective is to get from A to C, and that's exactly what you get.
Yes, but that objective can take a lot longer than the "5-10 minutes" suggested in this thread. The OP should be aware of the possibility of having to wait a while for a shuttle and plan accordingly.

RNE, suggesting that obliging shuttle passengers to stand in a veritable cattle chute is merely a small part of the EWR experience.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jcamp028
Ok, so it's probably not that bad, but I've never been through before. I generally fly AC, but this time they were just too expensive.

I'll be heading to Aruba soon with United, from Ottawa connecting through Newark. As I understand, UA is the heavy hitter at this airport, operating essentially out of three terminals.

I understand that I will definitely be flying out of terminal C. Given that I arrive into newark as a "domestic" flight (having been pre-cleared), it looks like I will arrive into either terminal A or C.

I understand it's a bit of a hassle transferring from A to C. But what about within C? Any chance I won't have to clear security again?

What about the United Clubs? I note that there's two. Which one is recommended?

Thanks
As far as I can tell, YOW flights are usually E145s coming into A terminal. Which means airside bus transfer A-C - just assume Terminal A is a bus station, and budget 30 minutes for it, and you will be fine. Terminal C, on the other hand, is actually rather nice airside, IMHO. Alternative is to take the monorail - but that requires leaving the secure area, and reliability of the monorail in cold weather is not great (please do not ask! ), so the airside shuttle is the way to go. It is really a minor inconvenience.

As for the staff etc. they are 'NJ-friendly' (picture John McEnroe being friendly with the umpires), which can come across as somewhat off-putting. But it is safe to ignore and not something to really worry about.

One thing to keep in mind, though: in IRROPs, and EWR had plenty of those this winter, E145 flights are the first to be cancelled, so plan accordingly....
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Continental
EWR- TLV evening flight (How early do I need to be at the airport?)

I am on the evening flight (10:45pm) in BF next week.
I know there is extra security at the gate.
How early do I need to be at the airport?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 1, 2015 at 6:56 pm Reason: poor thread title - vague and non-specific
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Yes, there is extra security at the gate, there is a special area marked off for TLV passengers only at the gate. Typically I allow myself two hours for an international flight,if you have Premier status then two hours should work. If you don't have status, I would allow a bit extra just to be safe.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:20 pm

Two hours is fine.

Check-in is usually extremely fast, but regular TSA security is slow. In my experience, only one checkpoint is open at the later hours, and PreCheck is closed (they have "PreCheck 'Light.'" So be sure to allow about 20 to 30 minutes for security.

The gate security is sometimes looks daunting, but it goes very fast, and they're really nice. It takes less than ten seconds.

They typically open the gate at about 9:45 pm, but there's no reason to get there sooner. I usually wait until the aircraft door is open and passengers are actually getting on board. It's never taken longer than five or ten minutes to get through gate security and get on board.

Do not hesitate to ask if you other questions about your upcoming trip.

Tisa naima
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Gate security is fast, efficient as Mats says. There is a gate controlled area (black barriers) you have to enter for the right side which is special to TLV departures

2 hours is plenty, I have done it on as little as 60 minutes, getting tight.

See you in J, but don't wake me up

Shalom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.