Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I'm trying to do a multi-city this fall DEN-GLA, then return LIS-DEN. No R class availability is showing at the moment. I often don't take the risk of applying and waiting for an upgrade, but is this the path that makes the most sense? Maybe I'm just too far out?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
SAN-IAH-MSY on April 13: RPU did not clear.
MSY-IAH-SAN on April 16: RPU did not cLear

Both RPUs redeposited before miles posted.

Second try of using one of those RPUs but I have more upcoming travel so there is still hope.

GPUs have been applied and still waiting for all to clear except two that have taken. Been noticing a tend that GPUs are clearing much closer to departure date.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Apr 22, 2018 at 11:32 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by jtmann05
I'm trying to do a multi-city this fall DEN-GLA, then return LIS-DEN. No R class availability is showing at the moment. I often don't take the risk of applying and waiting for an upgrade, but is this the path that makes the most sense? Maybe I'm just too far out?
My experience over the last couple of years is that UGs clear much closer to departure date.

Last edited by Aussienarelle; Apr 22, 2018 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 22, 2018, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
For SFO-EWR, with some flexibility, this never used to be a problem. For the past two years, it always is a problem -- no upgrades are available at booking time even months ahead. For me, it's a joke. As a result, I've found myself flying Jet Blue and Delta more on this route with the additional advantage that I can go to JFK instead of EWR
I’ve been seeing the standard $299 TOD upgrade available showing up months in advance of TCON flights now. Seems to be linked to P inventory. Just did a W—>P $299 upgrade for an SFO-EWR flight in late May. It’s not clear whether lower fare classes are also upgradable, but given inventory is almost always P>PN>R good luck using RPUs on future PS flights.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by prometa

I’ve been seeing the standard $299 TOD upgrade available showing up months in advance of TCON flights now. Seems to be linked to P inventory. Just did a W—>P $299 upgrade for an SFO-EWR flight in late May. It’s not clear whether lower fare classes are also upgradable, but given inventory is almost always P>PN>R good luck using RPUs on future PS flights.
I thought that B6 sells flat bed business seat for $599 one way. I do not think that UA W costs $300 one way. If W is less than $300, UA sells its business seat far less than B6 does.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kmxu

I thought that B6 sells flat bed business seat for $599 one way. I do not think that UA W costs $300 one way. If W is less than $300, UA sells its business seat far less than B6 does.
W fares are $309 to $354, plus Q schedules, on SFO/EWR. But the sellup is fixed-fee so yes, with a carefully plotted G fare you could pay more like $430. However, it comes at the cost of being a technically non-refundable fee which is not part of the coupon value (forfeit in the case of any voluntary change), earns zero PQD and no additional RDM, and sometimes also earns no additional PQM. For the same amount of planning, I would argue the $659 P fare is the better deal at least 75% of the time.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

The issue is not the cost, it’s that many corporate travelers will get booked in the Y cabin and then can buy up to J on their own. Technically this has been possible forever with GG BUYUP if you get the right agent, but most travelers probably were unaware of it. Now it’s sold front and center in the app so I expect more upgrades to sell, more to happen spontaneously, and even fewer seats to go to RPUs especially before the gate.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My experience over the last couple of years is that UGs clear much closer to departure date.
Closer to departure date? I have had all of the few that have cleared in the last year at T24hrs or less. A few have even cleared after I boarded! As far as getting them to clear on PS flights, that is getting as rare as hen's teeth now.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Closer to departure date? I have had all of the few that have cleared in the last year at T24hrs or less. A few have even cleared after I boarded! As far as getting them to clear on PS flights, that is getting as rare as hen's teeth now.
I do seem to have a higher success rate with GPUs.
RPUs take a number of attempts. I think the problem with the RPUs is that as they are domestic flights and generally through hubs then GS rank higher than me for priority but have been #1 or #2 on my most recent RPU flights.

So in fairness if you are talking about RPUs do agree more often at the gate, and due to discussions on FT I watch the app if I am #1 on the UG list. However, I have had a couple of RPUs take a week or so out.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I do seem to have a higher success rate with GPUs.
RPUs take a number of attempts. I think the problem with the RPUs is that as they are domestic flights and generally through hubs then GS rank higher than me for priority but have been #1 or #2 on my most recent RPU flights.

So in fairness if you are talking about RPUs do agree more often at the gate, and due to discussions on FT I watch the app if I am #1 on the UG list. However, I have had a couple of RPUs take a week or so out.
On domestic or regional routes, GPU's and RPU's are no different in the priority they give you. They basically are waitlisting you with the same priority. The ultimate priority within the same fare class and UA status is when the instrument is applied. If you apply your RPU in W class before another 1K applies a GPU for the same flight in W class, you will still clear first. It does not matter what type of instrument is used... only when it is applied for the tie-break (if status and fare class are equal).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
On domestic or regional routes, GPU's and RPU's are no different in the priority they give you.
I suspect Ausienarelle was referring to domestic instrument upgrades being much tougher than upgrades on GPU only routes. A sentiment I share. This thread was originally entitled "RPUs are Useless Nowadays" and I think that's more accurate.
jjmoore and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect Ausienarelle was referring to domestic instrument upgrades being much tougher than upgrades on GPU only routes. A sentiment I share. This thread was originally entitled "RPUs are Useless Nowadays" and I think that's more accurate.
I typically fly more domestics routes now so yeah probably my RPUs on average less than GPU's on the international flights. But having said that I have not cleared a GPU in almost 2 years now. If there is no R space at booking I can't/won't risk having them not clear and be stuck in E+. I have had it happen several times now and these old bones can't take a TATL or a TPAC and then have to work as soon as I hit the ground.
Boraxo and Artpen100 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
I typically fly more domestics routes now so yeah probably my RPUs on average less than GPU's on the international flights. But having said that I have not cleared a GPU in almost 2 years now. If there is no R space at booking I can't/won't risk having them not clear and be stuck in E+. I have had it happen several times now and these old bones can't take a TATL or a TPAC and then have to work as soon as I hit the ground.
I would say, "GPUs are most valuable if you are extremely flexible on travel dates and routing. Otherwise their value may be limited, particularly if you are not willing to waitlist. RPUs are just plain worthless."
tryathlete and nomad420 like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
GG Fareup to move up on waitlist?

will I improve my chances (move up on the waitlist rank) if I fareup inside the 24 hour window?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tryathlete
will I improve my chances (move up on the waitlist rank) if I fareup inside the 24 hour window?
There's no universal rule. The second tiebreaker for upgrade waitlist is fare, after status. If you have 1K status it might be worthwhile if the flight load is tight but not too tight (intentionally vague). If there aren't many seats left or there are many seats left, it could be a waste of money.

edit: actually to respond literally to your question, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.