Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I actually cleared 4 GPUs from W to R for CDG-IAD in July. My first upgrade at time of purchase, even for a party of 4. UA.com worked well when I checked box for upgrade and the search showed all flights that either confirm or waitlist upgrade. I ended up P one way and W return.

The difference in airfare between P and W was $417 one way (although CDG has $48 extra fee per person, so the real value of GPU in this case is $369).
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
$199 is the fare differential on SFO-ORD, and an instrument (or CPU) will pretty much never clear.
Cash is the new "instrument".
Phil Level and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Maybe. But more likely it's because holiday travel days are usually very easy to upgrade. Many people will be home with their families on Easter Sunday so that's an easy one. So is TxGiving and XMas day. Congrats on the upgrade.

-RM
I wouldn't really say "easy to upgrade" as there were only 4 business seats left yesterday, not like it was wide open. I was a bit surprised to see the GPU clear. But hey, I'll gladly take it!

none of my other 7 Gpu from last year cleared on a holiday. Just random travel days...
Old Apr 1, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nomad420
The thing that now I find almost alarming was I wasn't even close, especially on the outbound flights out of SFO. I think the highest I was on the upgrade list at T1 was #4 on last weekends Saturday return DEN - SFO.
That is pretty standard. With both DEN and SFO being hubs with high traffic, 1Ks almost never stand a chance on this route. While it's not totally impossible to get an upgrade on this route, I have been in the high 20s on the upgrade list before between these cities.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by GBadger
That is pretty standard. With both DEN and SFO being hubs with high traffic, 1Ks almost never stand a chance on this route. While it's not totally impossible to get an upgrade on this route, I have been in the high 20s on the upgrade list before between these cities.
Are you referring to a CPU? I fly this route pretty regularly and 1K with a RPU applied usually gets me in the "top 10". I know this is a pretty horrible hub to hub route route but wow standing at 20 on the list with an instrument as a 1K would be pretty bad.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM.
I've had good luck with using RPUs on the SFO to BOS transcon. About 50% success rate and using pretty inexpensive fares. In fact, I have two seats upgraded on the route this coming Saturday - they cleared at booking.

GPUs and RPUs can't always be used, but I do make use of all of mine (and my partners!)

Originally Posted by bballdad175
Just cleared a GPU for Easter Sunday SFO > FRA at T-36 or so.
RPU might worthless out of SFO But I have managed to use all of the GPUs I have earned so far.Maybe it's those couple of itineraries that I booked on Delta!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Impressed as my November 2018 flights SAN-SFO-LHR and LHR-SFO-SAN are all still waitlisted. However, patience is the name of the game these days with GPUs. Not one of my GPUs take at booking and I have eight (8) to use this year, but I did end up with all my GPUs taking in 2017. I have applied all my RPUs for 2018 and all are waitlisted. None of my RPUs expired in 2017 so I am assuming the same thing in 2018. I did have a number that did not take and I then used them on subsequent flights.

I suspect UA is trying to limit access to the Polaris lounges and GPUs are more likely to take on the day of travel, in addition to UA trying to get TOD UG revenue. I have no inside knowledge for this viewpoint but the fact that so few GPUs take at time of booking but I ended up using them all has shaped this view.
We've been Europe-based over the last 5 years, so maybe that's a reason I've been able to use GPUs and have the upgrades clear at purchase.
We start at FRA-IAH-SCL and EZE-IAH-FRA trip next week, which used GPUs, and after some hunting-and-pecking, I found the route I needed with the GPUs clearing.

Good luck!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I use 20+ GPUs every year. I find that SFO-LHR and SFO-SIN outbound flights are the most difficult to upgrade. Domestically, I get upgraded on a SFO-EWR/BOS flight maybe once a month or so. It's challenging to upgrade out of SFO where so many passengers are flying business class on company's dime.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Are you referring to a CPU? I fly this route pretty regularly and 1K with a RPU applied usually gets me in the "top 10". I know this is a pretty horrible hub to hub route route but wow standing at 20 on the list with an instrument as a 1K would be pretty bad.
It really depends on the time and day, but yes, I have pushed the 20s while traveling on a GPU on this route as a 1K. Fortunately, I rarely care as the important part of the GPU (SFO-Europe or SFO-Asia) has often cleared ahead of time!

Heck, I've flown DEN-SFO and had up to 5-10 GS in Y. Easy to count that one because they are easy to spot during (pre)-boarding. From that perspective, having an additional 10 1Ks on higher fares and on instruments is not that big of a stretch.

Having said all of this, every so often I am still able to clear as CPU as well (though not frequently...)
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by GBadger
It really depends on the time and day, but yes, I have pushed the 20s while traveling on a GPU on this route as a 1K. Fortunately, I rarely care as the important part of the GPU (SFO-Europe or SFO-Asia) has often cleared ahead of time!

Heck, I've flown DEN-SFO and had up to 5-10 GS in Y. Easy to count that one because they are easy to spot during (pre)-boarding. From that perspective, having an additional 10 1Ks on higher fares and on instruments is not that big of a stretch.

Having said all of this, every so often I am still able to clear as CPU as well (though not frequently...)
I was #20 on the UG list for a CPU on an H fare on DEN-SFO a few weeks ago (HD B772 on a Monday evening)... since losing GS back in February, I have had only 1 CPU clear, and am 2 for 4 clearing RPU's (2 misses on the RPU's have been on DEN-SFO, and ORD-SFO).

I second this post that SFO upgrades are very very tough, if not impossible for 1K's to clear.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Applied one to SFO-SAN and of course I'm waitlisted with available F seats dwindling. On a 739 no less.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Ended up NOT applying RPU to SFO-SLC and got last F seat (CPU) AFTER boarding as initially suspected. Return flight last night (SLC-SFO) got last F seat (CPU) at T24. Did apply RPU to SFO-KOA next week and don't expect it to clear at all but will be surprisingly pleased if it does.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Ended up NOT applying RPU to SFO-SLC and got last F seat (CPU) AFTER boarding as initially suspected. Return flight last night (SLC-SFO) got last F seat (CPU) at T24. Did apply RPU to SFO-KOA next week and don't expect it to clear at all but will be surprisingly pleased if it does.
Don't push your luck Nomad420

Surprise surprise, my first RPU of the year cleared today :O and that too a peak business hour flight from the west coast to ORD. I am on a Q fare ( I have been on an M fare with an RPU applied- Did not get a CPU and/or instant upgrade or an upgrade using the RPU last time )

Last edited by ordflyer18; Apr 11, 2018 at 5:50 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Sounds like your CPU success is > than your RPU success this year so far? haha.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Sounds like your CPU success is > than your RPU success this year so far? haha.
All joking aside it has been. I have not had a single RPU/GPU clear this year. I can't remember but maybe my wife has had one clear to date. But I have had several CPUs ALL of them on short flights or on United Express but I'll take them when I can though! I can often get a CPU to clear on evening SFO-SLC / SFO-MFR / SFO-EUG and haven't been applying upgrade instruments on these flights.....yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.