Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm certainly not seeing it.

I've been waitlisted over two weeks now on an SFO-HKG flight that's currently booked 5/50 10 weeks out. I'm the only pax on the waitlist. Not sure what they're waiting for
Same for my TPE-SFO return this weekend. Booked 1 week out, cabin booked 14/60. I was #19 on the upgrade list. Upgrades didn't process until 36h before the flight. Why? Beats me. PremPlus was overbooked yet I cleared into the last "RN" seat at booking and United sold four more seats after that (evidenced by the booked 14 + 4 blocked).

You'll get the upgrade obviously. Maybe this is how they are trying to "fix" the upgrade list issues they have. Block all upgrades until things "stabilize". It's a head scratcher for sure.

-RM
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Same for my TPE-SFO return this weekend. Booked 1 week out, cabin booked 14/60. I was #19 on the upgrade list. Upgrades didn't process until 36h before the flight. Why? Beats me. PremPlus was overbooked yet I cleared into the last "RN" seat at booking and United sold four more seats after that (evidenced by the booked 14 + 4 blocked).

You'll get the upgrade obviously. Maybe this is how they are trying to "fix" the upgrade list issues they have. Block all upgrades until things "stabilize". It's a head scratcher for sure.

-RM
Now my experience over the last year is more with instrument upgrade request on domestic flights but for me this has been standard operation procedure for UA for quite some time now. I can't even count the times I have been upgraded at the gate with multiple apparent open F seats showing days if not weeks before my flight.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by nomad420
Perfect! This comment is exactly what many of the above can't do. Even for my personal travel leaving on a Tuesday or Wednesday to, for example SIN, is often not possible and virtually never for work. So yeah, PPs have, I think all would agree, very limited value. In the past I have played the GPU upgrade game of buying W or better and waiting only to find I didn't clear. Stopped doing that over 3 years ago. I do realize PP have a bit more flexibility now but for me the jury is still out. I only hope UA can make me a PP believer as I hold hundreds of them.
You are 100% correct, the value for me is I stay in Australia for 2-3 weeks then cross back so not trying to get a 4 day business trip in, the old RPU / GPU was tough as I do not fly domestically now they all convert to plus points which essentially gives me all GPU of old and no RPU

the issue is now qualifying for 1K with using 8 upgraded flights, the $$$$ is not there to hit $24000
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is
The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 27, 2024 at 5:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.