Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Kacee
Cleared SFO-SAN at T-25!!!

Buy-up was $249, so I'll consider this a decent use, even for a 70 minute flight.
And now they've redeposited my RPU. Can't burn these even when they clear
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
It's not only from SFO. I booked ORD to MUC two months ago for May 15 (Tuesday), no R space. Decided to not book a W fare as it increased the price by $800 for the roundtrip and it was too much for me with no guarantee of the upgrade. At booking, I just put in the request for the upgrade with miles and copay. Roundtrip Polaris Business has increased from $7800 to now $8700, which means there's little chance I'll get an upgrade.
I'll check it again but I believe I was looking at about $8K ONE WAY for F from CDG to SFO!!! I was simply told "high demand".
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
I am suprised at how poorly GPUs clear to/from SFO to MUC. Just booked May 7 (Monday) and no R space of course. The agent said it was the Cannes film festival. Pricing was outrageous (again supposedly related to festival) for Biz so used my miles on this one. Return no better through CDG (same reason given) and pricing crazy high so again used miles. I was basically told my GPU would NOT clear due to many GS/Paid F heading over to France from the west coast for the festival. Call it the luck of the draw time wise I guess.

guess i I am lucky. Last week I successfully applied two GPU’s on LH into F MUC-SFO. Watched F space like a hawk. One seat opened at 48 another at 24
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: United 1MM
Just FYI.... I just flew MEL-LAX and LAX-MEL in the last month. Both ways, there were empty seats in C and everyone on the upgrade list was upgraded before the flight. I think there was about 3 or so seats C left empty on each flight. I didn't sit in C though, but was following the upgrade list and the seating chart (which I know isn't always 100% accurate). It's not peak season right now, so perhaps that helps.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by JONEZY00

guess i I am lucky. Last week I successfully applied two GPU’s on LH into F MUC-SFO. Watched F space like a hawk. One seat opened at 48 another at 24
I was pretty much told SFO -MUC wasn't going to clear. I would have done what you did and wait it out if this was a vacation but I am working and have to hit the ground running. Pretty hard after an 11 hour flight so no way could I attempt to wait it out and obviously zero R space on any the flights I looked at.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:39 pm

Have two RPUs still waiting to clear since booking months ago on SFO-KOA flight this Saturday AM. I have ZERO clear this year and suspect these won't either. I don't even look at the upgrade list anymore I just figure it isn't going to happen and if it does well then it is a happy surprise.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no luck ORD-BOS on a Y fare. Was #1 and nobody cleared
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
no luck ORD-BOS on a Y fare. Was #1 and nobody cleared
Damn that's harsh. Usually a Y fare guarantees me an upgrade. I've never lost one the few times I'm on it. All IAD-SFO/IAD-LAX.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have two RPUs still waiting to clear since booking months ago on SFO-KOA flight this Saturday AM. I have ZERO clear this year and suspect these won't either. I don't even look at the upgrade list anymore I just figure it isn't going to happen and if it does well then it is a happy surprise.
I'm still rooting for you!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by briank1973
Just FYI.... I just flew MEL-LAX and LAX-MEL in the last month. Both ways, there were empty seats in C and everyone on the upgrade list was upgraded before the flight. I think there was about 3 or so seats C left empty on each flight. I didn't sit in C though, but was following the upgrade list and the seating chart (which I know isn't always 100% accurate). It's not peak season right now, so perhaps that helps.

this is a good route for upgrades I have used 12 GPU in the last 18 months on this route , flying on a Tuesday seems to be the ticket too
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm still rooting for you!
fumje you are my lucky star!!! Got upgrade at check in (T24) as did my wife!!! Sound the horns, launch the rockets, my first RPU (for that matter any instrument) to clear this year!! Needed to change my seat so we could sit together and the agent I spoke with wished "many more future upgrades" so I guess I also got that going for me as well. LOL
nnn and laxmillenial like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...I don't even look at the upgrade list anymore...
That's why it cleared

I don't look at it anymore and my rate has gone up. YMMV
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

For me, the issue isn't applying the RPU and hoping it will clear, I am not interested unless the upgrade is available at booking time.

For SFO-EWR, with some flexibility, this never used to be a problem. For the past two years, it always is a problem -- no upgrades are available at booking time even months ahead. For me, it's a joke. As a result, I've found myself flying Jet Blue and Delta more on this route with the additional advantage that I can go to JFK instead of EWR.

Nothing has changed since I decided it was no longer worthwhile to strive for 1K on United. Oh wait -- one thing has changed, I now fly business class internationally. But that is rarely on United, my business is now going to ANA, BA, and Virgin Atlantic more than to UA. I'm sure UA doesn't care.
nomad420 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fumje you are my lucky star!!! Got upgrade at check in (T24) as did my wife!!! Sound the horns, launch the rockets, my first RPU (for that matter any instrument) to clear this year!! Needed to change my seat so we could sit together and the agent I spoke with wished "many more future upgrades" so I guess I also got that going for me as well. LOL
Happy to help. I did what I could.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
fumje you are my lucky star!!! Got upgrade at check in (T24) as did my wife!!! Sound the horns, launch the rockets, my first RPU (for that matter any instrument) to clear this year!!
^ ^ If UA is going to clear RPUs now on Hawaii flights from SFO I might even switch back from AS. Though I think OGG is still pretty difficult, given the # of GS & 1Ks @sfo
nomad420 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.