Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by greg99
I would agree with you from OGG and HNL, but (and my experience is not as extensive as yours, I'm sure), I've never been within spitting distance of an upgrade out of KOA. That could be influenced by the fact that I'm always traveling during or near school holidays (which we're getting to now, since colleges are getting out).
All parts of Hawaii used to be an easy upgrade as a 1K.
greg99 likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by LASUA1K

All parts of Hawaii used to be an easy upgrade as a 1K.
As my grandmother would say: "Old Man Usedto is dead..."
Old May 18, 2018, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Funny, this is exactly how I feel about the SFO terminal and concourses. The delays/cancellations rate at SFO is abysmal. The rental car set-up is the worst in the US, except for LAX (and I no longer fly in/out of there either).
Somewhat OT, but I would dissent from the opinion on rental cars. While admittedly it can take 10-15m to ride the train between the SFO terminals and rental car building, the setup is no worse than the shuttle bus systems that service remote rental car facilities at other airports like DEN, PHX, DFW, etc. Wish they all could be like SNA, but high traffic airports simply lack the space.

I don't know if RPUs have higher clearance rate O/D at SJC, but for me it's simply not worth the hassle unless the clearance rate was 80%.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I mean this seriously, not snarkily - why does this surprise you? It's a flight on a relatively small aircraft from the airport serving some of the highest end resorts in Hawaii, destination the home of probably the highest concentration of GS in the entire UA system.
If you are an infrequent flier to Hawaii, then yes - it probably surprises you. Up until a couple of years ago - my upgrade success as a 1K was literally 100% flying nearly weekly. Even Gold had a chance.

Regardless, tourism has taken a major hit on the Big Island from the eruptions, I've read some reports of 50% cancellations, so I'm a bit surprised the KOA route is still so strong.

Now, I'm often 10+ down the list out of HNL.

The economy has changed - record tourism - and they've priced First Class lower than years past in order to entice buying it outright.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
AGAIN didn't clear on KOA-SFO, was actually surprised at how far down the upgrade list I was at T24, From the list it looked like I had a GS and his/her family above me, they cleared out what little was left.
Likely a higher level than normal of exiting travellers-- due to Kilauea

Multiple reports of low prices and open R space for inbound flights to multiple islands. Hawaii island travel is taking a big hit.
Old May 18, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Not that this will make nomad420 and other elites happy, but I've been upgraded on two flights from the islands. My primary flight, LIH-LAX, I was upgraded at or before T-96. My original flight, a HNL-LAX connection that I won't be taking with my wife because I have to leave a day earlier, I was upgraded at or before T-96 as well.

Neither are 752 or 772s (738 from LIH and 739 from HNL) but at least I can say I've been upgraded from Hawaii...

David

...and will be cancelling the LIH-HNL-LAX segments when I can call 1K today...
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:08 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I mean this seriously, not snarkily - why does this surprise you? It's a flight on a relatively small aircraft from the airport serving some of the highest end resorts in Hawaii, destination the home of probably the highest concentration of GS in the entire UA system.
Huh? It's a leisure destination, and KOA is one of the cheapest Hawaiian islands. (Also in the middle of a volcanic eruption, incidentally.)

I doubt it's the highest concentration of GSs (which would much more obviously be in NYC/CHI/SFO
Old May 18, 2018, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
Huh? It's a leisure destination, and KOA is one of the cheapest Hawaiian islands. (Also in the middle of a volcanic eruption, incidentally.)

I doubt it's the highest concentration of GSs (which would much more obviously be in NYC/CHI/SFO
I think Greg99 was referring to bay area based GS (and wealthy individuals) traveling to the Kohala coast. You also see lots of high end traffic (purchased F) on SFO-LIH.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think Greg99 was referring to bay area based GS (and wealthy individuals) traveling to the Kohala coast. You also see lots of high end traffic (purchased F) on SFO-LIH.
Exactly.

And friends who have places in Kohala (who have been talking to their caretakers) are saying there's no material issue there from the volcano. In fact, one friend wishes that he could have taken advantage of the great AS sale, but his house is being remodeled.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
Not that this will make nomad420 and other elites happy, but I've been upgraded on two flights from the islands. My primary flight, LIH-LAX, I was upgraded at or before T-96. My original flight, a HNL-LAX connection that I won't be taking with my wife because I have to leave a day earlier, I was upgraded at or before T-96 as well.

Neither are 752 or 772s (738 from LIH and 739 from HNL) but at least I can say I've been upgraded from Hawaii...

David

...and will be cancelling the LIH-HNL-LAX segments when I can call 1K today...
cancelled my LIH-HNL-LAX segments.

probably should have originally posted to a different thread - both upgrades were/are CPUs....no instruments applied...

David
Old May 21, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Likely a higher level than normal of exiting travellers-- due to Kilauea

Multiple reports of low prices and open R space for inbound flights to multiple islands. Hawaii island travel is taking a big hit.
Just booked SFO-KOA 6/16 and perhaps people are hoping for a change in the Kilauea situation but no R space (of course), no F available, and even the available E+ seats were the least desirable. I found the situation even worse on the return (6/23). Of course RPU'ed it at booking but not optimistic.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Looking into July for SFO<->OGG I see no R space but almost every seat is available for assignment in the F cabin. Do these seats open for RPU/GPU prior to the CPU window, or maybe UA just slashes the price of F as the dates draw closer?
Old May 21, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Looking into July for SFO<->OGG I see no R space but almost every seat is available for assignment in the F cabin. Do these seats open for RPU/GPU prior to the CPU window, or maybe UA just slashes the price of F as the dates draw closer?
Upgrade chances are very slim at best even with a RPU - July is smack in the middle of high season.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Upgrade chances are very slim at best even with a RPU - July is smack in the middle of high season.
+1
They will NEVER show R space on that route in July.
Totally agree SFO into OGG even with an RPU upgrades are very rare, maybe midweek will clear but still tough. They will try to sell F until the door closes!
Old May 23, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Somewhat OT, but I would dissent from the opinion on rental cars. While admittedly it can take 10-15m to ride the train between the SFO terminals and rental car building, the setup is no worse than the shuttle bus systems that service remote rental car facilities at other airports like DEN, PHX, DFW, etc. Wish they all could be like SNA, but high traffic airports simply lack the space.

I don't know if RPUs have higher clearance rate O/D at SJC, but for me it's simply not worth the hassle unless the clearance rate was 80%.
The problem isn't the tram/train, it's the horrible design of the parking garage/ramps and the surface street layout around it. The last several times that I have used the facility, it has taken me more than 30 minutes to return a car, and one time an hour, because of the traffic jams into and inside the garage. Admittedly, I mainly flew out in the early afternoon, but I still find this an unacceptable delay. Denver, while very remote, has never delayed me by 30 minutes for a return-not even once. I don't do PHX (prefer TUS) or DFW, so I can't comment there.

I think with your status that you would clear around 80% at SJC. I just completed another trip yesterday, and my RPU cleared somewhere around 72 hours out, making me 5 for 5 on transcons to/from SJC in just the last 4 months.

Last edited by zombietooth; May 24, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.