Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Clear two GPU from FRA to SFO on LH on Wed 23 at check in P Fare upgrade to First
Old May 26, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Maybe not entirely UA specific, but as it relates to the use of GPU's...how many of the people on FT are flying mostly for business? And to that end, I'm curious what kinds of travel policies your companies have in place. LAX-SYD seems like it would qualify for business class in most corporations. Same goes for routes like SFO-HKG?

Or do most people use their GPU's for personal travel?
In an attempt to stay on topic here I am self employed so I travel as I see fit. Having said that I now travel business (or F) on all TATLs and TPACs. I have in the past tried using my GPUs on those flights and have been burned where I waited for them to clear only to end up sitting in a E+ from SFO-SIN or SFO-FRA. Hence why I think they are pretty much worthless. Last year my wife and I ate over 10 instruments. I now use them towards any/all flights with few exceptions. I think I have had 2 clear this year with a little over 10 RT flights. My wife works for a large Silicon Valley tech company and works globally for them. She negotiated Biz or better for any flight greater than 3 hours at hiring. They wanted her so they agreed. I recommend this approach to anyone looking to work for in a company that entails a lot of travel, all they can do is say no. Her travel department will occasionally take one of her GPU's (or mine) and use them when they discover that elusive R space. We will attempt to use them on vacation travel but with our schedules we don't even have a lot of flexibility and seem to never see the R Unicorn.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:03 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Interesting.

At the last company I worked for, it was a combination of job rank and travel duration. For the lowest levels of employees, total travel had to be over 13 hours in order to be eligible for business class. The most senior employees had to be traveling for more than four hours to qualify for int'l business or domestic first.

At my current employer, I get $0.70 per round trip mile towards the purchase of business class tickets...which almost really does make GPU's useless.
So, one SFO-LHR, you're expected to be able to get a business class round trip for $3,756.9? Seems unlikely, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by cfischer
yeah, LH clears almost all the time. Much better use of GPUs than playing a game w/ UA.
Doesn't it require an absurdly high fare class in Y to be applicable?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 27, 2018 at 3:38 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 27, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by helvetic
So, one SFO-LHR, you're expected to be able to get a business class round trip for $3,756.9? Seems unlikely, doesn't it?
It's not the rack rate by any means, but if you're willing to be creative you can make that work sometimes. I assume that otherwise you can fly Economy on full expense, or receive $3,756.90 off whatever you pay for a J ticket.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:08 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by pviri
Clear two GPU from FRA to SFO on LH on Wed 23 at check in P Fare upgrade to First
How is that possible? Always thought P and Z fares weren't eligible for GPU on LH. Indeed, the United website confirms this and doesn't list P and Z as eligible fare classes.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
How is that possible? Always thought P and Z fares weren't eligible for GPU on LH. Indeed, the United website confirms this and doesn't list P and Z as eligible fare classes.
LH recently changed their own upgrade vouchers to be eligible for P and Z fares. It seems like this has caused their system to accept UA GPUs as well.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I keep forgetting the specifics of the "can't do if within 24 hours" rule and someone even corrected me on one of these threads...I probably was lucky and jumped the queue without knowing all the rules...

Got rerouted to transcon service due to weather problem Saturday morning. Booked / rebooked in V class. App showed 1 seat not sold in ps but there is a waitlist. At EWR, I asked 2 agents who said they could not pull my RPU for upgrade within 24 hours. Then the 3rd agent did it without problem.

First time in ps and enjoyed it.

Last edited by username; May 27, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old May 27, 2018, 4:37 pm

My company has a business class policy for execs on In't so with UA getting rid of Int'l F then any upgrade instrument becomes a moot point on their metal.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Doesn't it require an absurdly high fare class in Y to be applicable?
no it does not. Q or nigher is needed.

P and Z are perfectly working for upgrades to O using GPUs as long as the flights are LH coded.
Old May 28, 2018, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
At EWR, I asked 2 agents who said they could not pull my RPU for upgrade within 24 hours. Then the 3rd agent did it without problem.
Was R open?

In addition to the no waitlisting within 24 hours rule (which is published) there's an unpublished rule they're not supposed to clear a new upgrade request within 2 or 3 hours of departure.

But the agents have the ability to do both if you find one who's willing.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Failed another domestic use today... SFO-IAD segment supported with GPU. I know it's a Monday and perhaps the holiday has travel up a hair, but sheesh, I hate routes that require connecting in SFO to use a GPU overwater. I buy paid F to SFO plenty, but there's not typically any fare rule that lets you combine P on the domestic and W or higher on the international.

I suppose I could book separate tickets, but that means less irrops protection and higher exposure to change fees.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
When I do a search SFO-AKL nonstop on UA , there is GPU availability. However, when I change the routing to SAN-AKL for the same date, both SAN-SFO and SFO-AKL came up to be "waitlisted" Why is that?
Old May 28, 2018, 9:03 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
When I do a search SFO-AKL nonstop on UA , there is GPU availability. However, when I change the routing to SAN-AKL for the same date, both SAN-SFO and SFO-AKL came up to be "waitlisted" Why is that?
SAN-SFO is R0, and that "masks" the SFO-AKL inventory. Very annoying how that works. If you book and apply a GPU, the SFO-AKL segment will clear immediately, but the SAN-SFO will waitlist.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Have you looked for "R" space in Expert Mode, segment by segment? That tells the tale most definitively. My guess is that there is R space SFO-AKL but not SAN-SFO. If so book asap and upgrade the SFO-AKL segment. SAN-SFO will waitlist and may or may not clear.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
I got as far as the seat map page, but still would not give me the Polaris cabin to pick seats from. Do I need to pay for the reservation before the UGs are cleared?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.