Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
SFO-DEN-EGE flght with RPU still not cleared at T24hrs and #4 on the list, man it it tough out of SFO to clear these things. TOD (at T24) offer was $459 needless to say I passed.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
DFW-IAH-YYZ cleared instantly, somehow both legs had R>5. Both are on ERJ-175 aircraft, which is actually one of my favorite seats up front.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mtftw
DFW-IAH-YYZ cleared instantly, somehow both legs had R>5. Both are on ERJ-175 aircraft, which is actually one of my favorite seats up front.
Yee congrats. and Wow with R>5 YYZ is one the easiest to get a RPU/CPU in my opinion. I have never not been CPU'd on this flight from ORD.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Yee congrats. and Wow with R>5 YYZ is one the easiest to get a RPU/CPU in my opinion. I have never not been CPU'd on this flight from ORD.
I probably could have waited and possibly cleared a CPU, but as a plat connecting through IAH it seemed like a good use of an RPU.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a GPU sitting on SFO-ORD for several months. Looked at reservation in the app yesterday for some reason that I forgot and saw $199 was offered to buy up, while status was showing 19/20 booked. Now it's full. Expecting to die at #5. .
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Had a GPU sitting on SFO-ORD for several months. Looked at reservation in the app yesterday for some reason that I forgot and saw $199 was offered to buy up, while status was showing 19/20 booked. Now it's full. Expecting to die at #5 . .
$199 is the fare differential on SFO-ORD, and an instrument (or CPU) will pretty much never clear.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
$199 is the fare differential on SFO-ORD, and an instrument (or CPU) will pretty much never clear.
Expected the latter, but not the former for the last seat. What I am more used to seeing is a crazy upfare offer, like $1700.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
Expected the latter, but not the former for the last seat. What I am more used to seeing is a crazy upfare offer, like $1700.
It's good to know the value of UA loyalty. Less than $199.

Shockingly, I've learned that DL doesn't do this to its elites. The buy-up offers basically end at check-in.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Shockingly, I've learned that DL doesn't do this to its elites. The buy-up offers basically end at check-in.
Yup, and nine seats went out empty in first (Delta One 767) on my most recent challenge flight. No offers.

No airline is perfect, but Delta is quite the relief after United. (I left 1K for Delta Platinum, midway to my second million miles on United.) Pick your favorite dozen little things that add up. I like the good food in clubs that don't feel like Greyhound stations.

If United had simply been honest, like giving me a $39 credit for my GPU toward an upgrade offer that actually applied to annual qualifying dollars, rather than letting them all rot on the tree, I would have at least thought about staying.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Syzygies
I like the good food in clubs that don't feel like Greyhound stations.
lol, been through SLC or MSP yet? But I agree, food quality, especially afternoon/evening, is SO much better at the good DL clubs. You can actually put together an attractive meal.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Just completed two SFO-DEN-EGE RTs for work(and some skiing) over the past 3 weeks. RPUs applied to all. Went out on Fridays returned on Saturdays/Sundays (admittedly probably not the best days). The only upgrade offered was ONE DEN to EGE on one of the outbound Friday flights and I turned it down for the 30 min flight, it seemed insulting. The thing that now I find almost alarming was I wasn't even close, especially on the outbound flights out of SFO. I think the highest I was on the upgrade list at T1 was #4 on last weekends Saturday return DEN - SFO. I have a SFO-SLC trip next week and I have yet to apply the RPU as it is also a relatively short flight but I figure what the heck, I may as well throw one at it and see what happens. At this rate I will end up eating a dozen of these worthless things!

It's good to know the value of UA loyalty. Less than $199.

On all of my above flights (even including the DEN - EGE) I was offered buy-up offers (at check in). I don't want to say what they were as I don't remember the exact amount but they were less than $200. But sending you one (buy up offer) when you are standing on RPU is pretty low. Basically it is like telling you, look you are not going to clear so why don't you just pay for the up grade. I know many will disagree but as far as I am concerned they should probably do away these so called "up grade instruments".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 26, 2018 at 3:34 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 27, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: 1MM UA Gold
Success with RPUs

A couple of weeks ago I booked (for my wife and myself) IND-DEN-ONT for this past Thursday, and ONT-SFO-IND on this past Sunday. ONT-SFO was single class, and both DEN-ONT and SFO-IND showed RPU upgradable space available at booking. When I tried to apply the RPUs on .bomb, it wouldn’t let me—but the agent I reached when I called in was able to apply the RPUs and confirm the upgrades (with IND-DEN waitlisted). From T-24 the IND-DEN flight showed 4 booked and 2 available. A couple of hours before going to the gate it showed 4 booked + 1 blocked, but shortly before boarding the GA called me up and gave me two first class seats.

So, pretty good success, overall—though probably at least some of these would have cleared as CPUs.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:46 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Managed to use/clear 2 (extended 2017) GPU's at booking EWR-LHR and FRA-EWR. After searching for P/Z and only finding flights in the $5-6k range was surprised to find R at booking.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Just cleared a GPU for Easter Sunday SFO > FRA at T-36 or so.
RPU might worthless out of SFO But I have managed to use all of the GPUs I have earned so far.Maybe it's those couple of itineraries that I booked on Delta!
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by bballdad175
Just cleared a GPU for Easter Sunday SFO > FRA at T-36 or so.
RPU might worthless out of SFO But I have managed to use all of the GPUs I have earned so far.Maybe it's those couple of itineraries that I booked on Delta!
Maybe. But more likely it's because holiday travel days are usually very easy to upgrade. Many people will be home with their families on Easter Sunday so that's an easy one. So is TxGiving and XMas day. Congrats on the upgrade.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.