Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Morning up is going to be a crush, but for next week the 4:20, 5:05, and 7:15pm flights are R5, R8, and R9 respectively.
Thanks, that 7:15 would definitely work and if there is R space I'll throw an RPU at it but not heading back up until April. As others noted, if you are less than GS my experience is you will almost never get a CPU on this route. Huge number of GS take this all the time. I would not be surprised if this was the highest GS pax route in the UA system (maybe LAX-EWR and SFO-EWR a close second).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Applied RPU a couple of months ago on this Friday's AM SFO-DEN-EGE flight an of course nothing has cleared. I suspect per usual maybe at the gate or even after boarding I will find out if it clears at all. On a lighter note, my wife'w RPU cleared several weeks in advance on a Wed PM SFO-KOA flight. Per I-O-T comments these mid week off hours flights will clear but unfortunately I can rarely take them.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Applied RPU a couple of months ago on this Friday's AM SFO-DEN-EGE flight an of course nothing has cleared. I suspect per usual maybe at the gate or even after boarding I will find out if it clears at all. On a lighter note, my wife'w RPU cleared several weeks in advance on a Wed PM SFO-KOA flight. Per I-O-T comments these mid week off hours flights will clear but unfortunately I can rarely take them.
Interesting. I cleared LAX-DEN last week but not DEN-EGE, it was booked solid on the Fri/Sat that the week I wanted to go, so I ended up just picking Fri.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Interesting. I cleared LAX-DEN last week but not DEN-EGE, it was booked solid on the Fri/Sat that the week I wanted to go, so I ended up just picking Fri.
Fly the route pretty regularly for work and will occasionally clear the SFO-DEN flight and really don't care about the DEN-EGE flight as it is USUALLY short. Although I have circled EGE for an hour (or two) waiting for the weather to clear more than occasionally. This time I am leaving on Friday (not typical time for me) to ski prior to work hence I am probably in line with everyone else heading up to do the same thing. I am ZERO for like 10 on these things myself this year, I'll post back if I clear at the gate.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
I think United has eliminated this problem entirely by preventing me from trying to apply GPU to my flights.

Can't complain about GPU and RPUs if you can't apply it in the first place. Its equivalent to cutting off the head entirely if you have a headache

Last edited by ordflyer18; Mar 13, 2018 at 2:20 pm Reason: Grammar
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ordflyer18
I think United has eliminated this problem entirely by preventing me from trying to apply GPU to my flights.

Can't complain about GPU and RPUs if you can't apply it in the first place. Its equivalent to cutting off the head entirely if you have a headache
Make sure you are prperly logged in. The web site has a mode where it appears you are logged in but you are not actually logged in.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1k , Hertz President's Circle, Avis President's Club, Marriott Platinum, SPG platinum
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Make sure you are prperly logged in. The web site has a mode where it appears you are logged in but you are not actually logged in.
I was. I booked a flight thru the website too . Although its a known problem about the website sometimes not allowing to apply GPU/RPU online.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K

I was. I booked a flight thru the website too . Although its a known problem about the website sometimes not allowing to apply GPU/RPU online.
I just had this problem for the first time, after dozens of seamless on-line instrument applications. You have to call in.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by SS255
I just had this problem for the first time, after dozens of seamless on-line instrument applications. You have to call in.
Likewise to both above, often I am often taking instruments from either my account or my wife's account so that complicates things a bit as well. I usually end up calling as well. Additionally, don't think that they will "automatically" apply the first to expire first. While they are suppose to I have been through this multiple times now and you have to DOUBLE CHECK this, I have had to have them rebank and reload RPU/GPUs because of this multiple times and it is a hassle. This year I am trying to be very proactive in attempting to use these things. I have a SFO-SLC flight coming up that I normally would not use one on but I still have 4 extended RPUs for last year so why not burn them IF I can. I believe they are still good until the END of April right??
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:50 pm

Well, good thing I did not apply the GPU(rather wasn't permitted to apply the GPU) for my flight tomorrow, I got my first CPU of the year
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:42 pm

Well, good thing I did not apply the GPU(rather wasn't permitted to apply the GPU) for my flight tomorrow, I got my first CPU of the year
Hey you proved my point, they are worthless....LOL
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Had an RPU clear CALGARY denver milwaukee , and another Chicago to calgary

im ok getting rid of them otherwise they stress me out
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jimmie Jet
Had an RPU clear CALGARY denver milwaukee , and another Chicago to calgary

im ok getting rid of them otherwise they stress me out
I’m based in YYC and mine almost always clear. Unless I’m connecting to international flights I generally don’t use them, because I have a pretty good CPU record to/from Calgary in any case. The only route where it’s hit or miss for both CPU and instrument supported upgrades is to/from IAH
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
I got my first CPU of the year as a 1K (since losing GS on Feb 1) on GRR-DEN on 3/16. Missed on GRR-ORD, ORD-DEN, DEN-SFO, SFO-DEN, STL-DEN, and a few others since Feb. 1. I applied RPUs to all of the hub-hub itineraries, and still missed, with most of the open seats on DoD going to OLCI buy-ups for $129. Not cool. I have sat up front a few times, but only when I bought up.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Hey you proved my point, they are worthless....LOL
Always knew this Well at least I won't be disappointed with my GPUs next year cause I wont hit 1k(at least looks like it)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.