Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Was shocked to see R inventory when purchasing SFO<->SJD for summer vacation, so I promptly used 2 RPUs and GPUs to upgrade Mrs. B and Child-B1. Child-B2 and I will roll the dice on CPUs as the F inventory appears wide open and I have a decent % on Mexico routes. I used to go all-or-nothing (there is some benefit to keeping everyone on my 1K record in the event of irregular ops) but I think this is a better strategy given the risks.

I felt a little twinge using GPUs on this route but I think it highly unlikely that we will have an opportunity to use them for TATL or TPAC and hard to justify holding them in reserve for a transcon or even SFO-IAH that is unlikely to clear. So maybe I need to walk back "totally useless nowadays"

Originally Posted by Kacee
LAX seems much easier to clear than SFO. More competition on the route (since it's an AA and DL hub), not a captive UA hub, and fewer GS.
Concur. In fact I even get CPU more often than not on SFO<->LAX. Given the fares, it's probably not a route that generates a lot of GS.

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I use 20+ GPUs every year. I find that SFO-LHR and SFO-SIN outbound flights are the most difficult to upgrade. Domestically, I get upgraded on a SFO-EWR/BOS flight maybe once a month or so. It's challenging to upgrade out of SFO where so many passengers are flying business class on company's dime.
Bingo. Aside from the sheer # of GS @sfo, there is both (1) Fortune 500 + banking + legal + consultant O/D business class travel between SFO to regional HQ in London and Singapore and (2) Paid international business class connecting to domestic F, which significantly reduces the F inventory for domestic ex-SFO travel to other large metros.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MostlyUA
I use 20+ GPUs every year. I find that SFO-LHR and SFO-SIN outbound flights are the most difficult to upgrade. Domestically, I get upgraded on a SFO-EWR/BOS flight maybe once a month or so. It's challenging to upgrade out of SFO where so many passengers are flying business class on company's dime.
This is an intriguing detail. I have had the impression on a few routes that the outbound is harder to upgrade than the return. Shouldn't there be 'conservation of mass' so to speak? Is this J out / Y back policies?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been trying to apply my expiring GPU's and RPU's to everything. No dice. Didn't even clear LGA-ORD today with 7 of 12 booked at check-in time. Just glad I was able to GPU the whole family to Australia and back this summer!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by cricketer
Just glad I was able to GPU the whole family to Australia and back this summer!
That's awesome - but how did you manage it? Months out at the time of purchase?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by fumje
This is an intriguing detail. I have had the impression on a few routes that the outbound is harder to upgrade than the return. Shouldn't there be 'conservation of mass' so to speak? Is this J out / Y back policies?
For the typical TATL, there is higher demand for flatbeds in the overnight direction.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
That's awesome - but how did you manage it? Months out at the time of purchase?
Booked in February for June/July. Had to scour the calendar for outbounds and returns that had enough R space, and had sufficient flexibility to take whatever dates and routings available (SFO/LAX to MEL/SYD being the contenders). The dates we grabbed were the only ones in a 60 day period with R > 2. No problem for GS though, there was plenty of PN available. The other half have it so good
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
For the typical TATL, there is higher demand for flatbeds in the overnight direction.
Makes sense, although I mostly observe TPAC flights. Westbound is typically the longer duration, so perhaps that's a factor, but as scheduled the eastbound is when I really want to get sound sleep.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cricketer
I've been trying to apply my expiring GPU's and RPU's to everything. No dice. Didn't even clear LGA-ORD today with 7 of 12 booked at check-in time. Just glad I was able to GPU the whole family to Australia and back this summer!
Both my expiring instruments will almost certainly expire unused. I have a SFO KOA trip next week that has not cleared and probably won't (Sat AM flight) and the other trips including a TATLs fall in early May. Really frustrating that not one cleared in almost 4 months. My wife was able to get one of her's to clear but will probably eat one.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Cleared SFO-SAN at T-25!!!

Buy-up was $249, so I'll consider this a decent use, even for a 70 minute flight.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This year I am 4/4 with GPUs clearing and 1/1 with RPUs.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TomMM
This year I am 4/4 with GPUs clearing and 1/1 with RPUs.
It's good to be TomMM!

David
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am surprised at how easily GPUs clear to/from LHR.
seanp7 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
I am surprised at how easily GPUs clear to/from LHR.
I am suprised at how poorly GPUs clear to/from SFO to MUC. Just booked May 7 (Monday) and no R space of course. The agent said it was the Cannes film festival. Pricing was outrageous (again supposedly related to festival) for Biz so used my miles on this one. Return no better through CDG (same reason given) and pricing crazy high so again used miles. I was basically told my GPU would NOT clear due to many GS/Paid F heading over to France from the west coast for the festival. Call it the luck of the draw time wise I guess.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only been to MUC once and my MUC-IAH GPU cleared at the gate. I've found FRA - EastCoast a very easy route for GPUs to clear. I've also haven't had an issue with GPUs clearing on LH from PE to J. Guess I am lucky that I have 3 airports(ORD,EWR,IAD) that I can connect through.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
I am suprised at how poorly GPUs clear to/from SFO to MUC. Just booked May 7 (Monday) and no R space of course. The agent said it was the Cannes film festival. Pricing was outrageous (again supposedly related to festival) for Biz so used my miles on this one. Return no better through CDG (same reason given) and pricing crazy high so again used miles. I was basically told my GPU would NOT clear due to many GS/Paid F heading over to France from the west coast for the festival. Call it the luck of the draw time wise I guess.
It's not only from SFO. I booked ORD to MUC two months ago for May 15 (Tuesday), no R space. Decided to not book a W fare as it increased the price by $800 for the roundtrip and it was too much for me with no guarantee of the upgrade. At booking, I just put in the request for the upgrade with miles and copay. Roundtrip Polaris Business has increased from $7800 to now $8700, which means there's little chance I'll get an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.