Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
I got as far as the seat map page, but still would not give me the Polaris cabin to pick seats from. Do I need to pay for the reservation before the UGs are cleared?
In this case, yes. the booking engine sees the trip as R0 and thus doesn't offer you seats with the GPU for the Polaris segment yet. Once you book, the SFO-AKL segment should clear immediately (assuming R>0, and yes, I'd double-check that before booking via a search just for SFO-AKL in expert mode), and then you can pick seats.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Thanks a lot. Just one question though, does booking such as this fall under the 24-hr refund rule? Never done this on-line before.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, TG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Purchase ticket thru Orbitz then apply GPU thru UA website

Last edited by pviri; May 28, 2018 at 10:02 am
Old May 28, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Finally purchased the ticket. It was confirmed and ticketed. However, upgrade is still under waitlist. despite R inventory is available. Called 1K desk and was told that don't know when it will clear. Hmm...
Old May 28, 2018, 10:26 am

Verify that the agent can see R inventory for that specific segment (if she looks at the whole itinerary, she'll see R0 due to the SAN segment). May be a case of HUACA although in my experience, applying a GPU to an itin like this works without human intervention... I'm on such a trip right now, where the TPAC segment was R2 and the domestic was R0; applying the GPU cleared the longhaul segment immediately.
chipper likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:40 am

Called them again and voila, the agent saw R inventory and contacted the help desk to get both segments manually upgraded. Thanks exerda and transportprof for your advices. It surely helped out this newly-minted 1K.
Old May 28, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Was R open?

In addition to the no waitlisting within 24 hours rule (which is published) there's an unpublished rule they're not supposed to clear a new upgrade request within 2 or 3 hours of departure.

But the agents have the ability to do both if you find one who's willing.
I did not check. When I tried to do it online, it did not let me (forgot what it said exactly - the screen with the segments and boxes came up but the boxes were disabled). I guess I must have gotten lucky on my 3rd try.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:26 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
Thanks a lot. Just one question though, does booking such as this fall under the 24-hr refund rule? Never done this on-line before.
Yes it does, and please for the love of all that is holy, don't do what the other person suggested and use Orbitz. That's a great way to bite yourself in the behind should anything go wrong.
DFWFairy likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by exerda
Failed another domestic use today... SFO-IAD segment supported with GPU. I know it's a Monday and perhaps the holiday has travel up a hair, but sheesh, I hate routes that require connecting in SFO to use a GPU overwater. I buy paid F to SFO plenty, but there's not typically any fare rule that lets you combine P on the domestic and W or higher on the international.

I suppose I could book separate tickets, but that means less irrops protection and higher exposure to change fees.
While still incredibly annoying, TODs are actually good for this - available at booking and evidently now most times online, you should be able to change the rbd of just the domestic segment for what is roughly the route fare differential for the domestic component.

A colleague's SFO-IAD today went out 20/20 paid.. I've never seen it busier than this year.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Maybe not entirely UA specific, but as it relates to the use of GPU's...how many of the people on FT are flying mostly for business? And to that end, I'm curious what kinds of travel policies your companies have in place. LAX-SYD seems like it would qualify for business class in most corporations. Same goes for routes like SFO-HKG?

Or do most people use their GPU's for personal travel?
You would think LAX-SYD would qualify for business class. However, where I work, anyone without a C in front of their title travels economy class, everywhere. Luckily, we have a little latitude with booking our flights, so I can get creative and as long as I'm within 10% of what Concur tells me the flight should cost, I can book it. I'm leaving 2 days earlier than I have to, and they're losing those days of productivity, plus the extra hotel costs, but I'm within policy, and being within policy is all that matters.
phaka2 likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by findark
While still incredibly annoying, TODs are actually good for this - available at booking and evidently now most times online, you should be able to change the rbd of just the domestic segment for what is roughly the route fare differential for the domestic component.

A colleague's SFO-IAD today went out 20/20 paid.. I've never seen it busier than this year.
I would have taken a buy-up or full fare difference (which would have been at the time from V to P) had the site let me. The problem is when a segment has an instrument waitlisted, it won't offer or let you buy up. I suppose I could have called and had the GPU removed from the domestic segments and then tried to get the buy-up, assuming it would be to P (I've had them where A and P were for sale, but the buy-up offer was to full F, LOL, $10k o/w on EWR-CDG when they were selling A at the time for $2k, for example).
Old May 29, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
So, one SFO-LHR, you're expected to be able to get a business class round trip for $3,756.9? Seems unlikely, doesn't it?
Sorry, maybe I didn't word it well...

SFO-LHR-SFO is ~10,734 miles * .7 = $7,513

So I could spend up to $7,513 on business class airfare and be compliant.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:08 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Sorry, maybe I didn't word it well...

SFO-LHR-SFO is ~10,734 miles * .7 = $7,513

So I could spend up to $7,513 on business class airfare and be compliant.
Got it, that makes sense and is more generous . I thought when you said "round-trip miles" it meant that SFO-LHR would count as 5,367.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I feel obligated to post this on this thread as I complain about the worthlessness of these upgrade instruments in general. My Saturday SFO-KOA flight was upgraded 10 days in advance (RPU in place) which in all the years I have taken this flight has NEVER happened. That is the good news. The bad news is I suspect it is because of massive cancellation over to Hawaii because of the volcano. When I initially booked the flight most of E+ was sold out with only a few remaining seats. I haven't checked it recently but I suspect that is no longer true. I was last there 1 month ago and the Vog was bad, from what I am told it is only worse now.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
I feel obligated to post this on this thread as I complain about the worthlessness of these upgrade instruments in general. My Saturday SFO-KOA flight was upgraded 10 days in advance (RPU in place) which in all the years I have taken this flight has NEVER happened. That is the good news. The bad news is I suspect it is because of massive cancellation over to Hawaii because of the volcano. When I initially booked the flight most of E+ was sold out with only a few remaining seats. I haven't checked it recently but I suspect that is no longer true. I was last there 1 month ago and the Vog was bad, from what I am told it is only worse now.
It is def because of the volcano. I have open R space on both my flights to/from HNL since booking out of LAX. So many R spaces available that I am hoping for a CPU. Normally I'd throw an RPU at this route, but not this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.