Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
There are 2 of us travlling LAS to SFO on UA (booked as 2 PNRs) pure domestic fares this month. We were both Star Gold back in June when the reservations were made and it reflected on the email confirmed (1st bag free). Now neither of us are Star Gold and it shows USD25 per check bag. ....
Checked bag waivers are based on status at time of travel, not at time of booking (although it will initially assume you will have the same status at travel).

As your status has expired and you are doing a purely domestic itin, you will not have checked bag waiver and the first checked bag for each passenger will cost $25. You will have a free carry on and free personal item.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Were we booked into Basic Economy?
No. That would be an N fare. You have an S, which is regular economy.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The most visible sign of failure would be empty seats. A less visible sign of failure would be decreased PRASM -- if people are moving away from UA because they offer BE on higher fares, UA's fare mix would skew lower.
Reduced PRASM would be much more meaningful than empty seats.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yep -- but empty seats are more obviously visible. Of course, people may tend to extrapolate, but frequent travelers on a route may notice patterns before PRASM will be made available.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
frequent travelers on a route may notice patterns before PRASM will be made available.
I've noticed an uptick in CPUs on a route with which I'm very familiar, but that's a statistically insignificant observation.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've noticed an uptick in CPUs on a route with which I'm very familiar, but that's a statistically insignificant observation.
That's an interesting point. I would find it amusing if UA found that BE messed up their ability to sell TODs. The TOD strategy is based, in part, on the idea that it's easier to get people to part with $200 and then $100 then it is $300 up front. The BE strategy is diametrically opposed to that -- if you don't spend $220 (vs. $200) up front, UA will refuse to take your $100 later.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

. The extra $$$ from the be fare increase should - per Ua and the analysts prop up prasm short term. I would expect the initial impact to be to old factor, with the prasm hit only coming when the book away and loss of elItes swamped the extra $$$ from the be fare increase.

Alas we appear to be seeing both loss of load factor and underperformance in prasm.

I actually received an upgrade, which has not happened in over a year. And I was not the only one, nearly all of fc was upgraded. My sample size is small, but I would expect some elite book-away, and as others suggest it may impact tod upsells since fewer people get the offers. 😄
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
. The extra $$$ from the be fare increase should - per Ua and the analysts prop up prasm short term. I would expect the initial impact to be to old factor, with the prasm hit only coming when the book away and loss of elItes swamped the extra $$$ from the be fare increase.

Alas we appear to be seeing both loss of load factor and underperformance in prasm.
Anecdotally I've noticed that prior to BE on my frequent routes the planes were packed to capacity and cpus we're impossible. Now I've notice that flights are not as full and if they are the seat map is 50% empty at t-24. CPUs are still tough. So in this anecdote, it apppears they took t were jamme to capacity with higher non-BE fares and replace them with lower priced fares. Appears as well they've lost some elites (or e-ups) on the routes as E+ is now less fulll, whereas before it was packed. If that anecdote bears out, don't see how this can be a win for UA.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Anecdotally I've noticed that prior to BE on my frequent routes the planes were packed to capacity and cpus we're impossible. Now I've notice that flights are not as full and if they are the seat map is 50% empty at t-24. CPUs are still tough. So in this anecdote, it apppears they took t were jamme to capacity with higher non-BE fares and replace them with lower priced fares. Appears as well they've lost some elites (or e-ups) on the routes as E+ is now less fulll, whereas before it was packed. If that anecdote bears out, don't see how this can be a win for UA.
Well a lot of us predicted Ua would shed traffic from elites (or their employers) who did not want to pay an elite tax on every flight, particularly expensive flights.

Ua has now admitted that offering be head to head with regular y was not competitive, and further that it was seeing bookaway. Kirby claimed not to know the net impact of how much of the extra be fare increase was offset by traffic loss. I happen to think united knows very well as they have been backing off be by slowly limiting the fares where it is available from all fares to just up to midrange fares, and they seem to be doing more what aa is doing - just offering it on the bottom of the fare structure.

This - combined with the low prasm guidance for 3Q - says to me that Ua did itself some real damage. I would hope they would see the light and back off the "no status credit for be" part of thIngs, I.e. Do it like DL does, and give more status credit for BE. However, the story of UA since 2012 has been sticking with self-destructive approaches to their customers even in the face of evidence it is costing them $$$.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:54 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Because they haven't replaced them with lower priced fares. As has been much discussed here BE is often pricing the same as E was before, so if anything they've increased fares for many passengers (and added some extra baggage fee revenue). The question is about the balance of that versus any lost elite revenue.

And of course we'll only really see the final elite movement after September when the AA BE is implemented. If there has been meaningful UA to AA elite movement solely because of BE that may reverse at that point.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by TCD
Because they haven't replaced them with lower priced fares. As has been much discussed here BE is often pricing the same as E was before, so if anything they've increased fares for many passengers (and added some extra baggage fee revenue).
Pax paying the same for BE as they were previously paying for cheapest available regular economy would result in revenue neutral, not an increase in fare revenue.

And UA would be foregoing E+ revenue, TOD revenue, and change fees with these fares, which may well neutralize or even outweigh any uptick in checked bag fees.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Pax paying the same for BE as they were previously paying for cheapest available regular economy would result in revenue neutral, not an increase in fare revenue.
The idea is that those avoiding BE fares are paying extra and generating more revenue. They are looking for the lowest non-BE fare and therefore are paying more than before BE existed.

But your point on the loss of E+, TOD, etc. revenue is very valid and probably greatly offsets any additional revenue from non-BE fares.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by nycityny
The idea is that those avoiding BE fares are paying extra and generating more revenue. They are looking for the lowest non-BE fare and therefore are paying more than before BE existed.
That's what UA planned for. But the reports of very large BG5 and lots of unassigned seats at T-24 suggests that UA may be selling more of these tix than they intended.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:35 am

There are 2 of us travlling LAS to SFO on UA (booked as 2 PNRs) pure domestic fares this month. We were both Star Gold back in June when the reservations were made and it reflected on the email confirmed (1st bag free). Now neither of us are Star Gold and it shows USD25 per check bag.

Because we entered New Zealand billing address, we were directed to United New Zealand website and paid by NZD (not USD). Booking class "United Economy (S)". We are able to select seats and online view reservation says we are allowed 1 carry-on bag + personal item, and various of upgrade options to E+ and F.

My question is one the day of travel, can UA agents tell we are eligible for a carry-on each? Were we booked into Basic Economy?
I have heard something like this happen to us. We looked for a domestic flight to LAX on Google Flights and found a BE fare. Since it's a short trip less than 500 miles, we don't need the miles or LT miles and were ready to book it. But since we live in Japan, UA.com switched us to the Japan website and there BE is not available so they wanted the regular Economy fare which was $ 40.00
more. Didn't bite, probably try to call and have it booked that way. Unless they deny overseas members to book BE fares?!?!?!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
probably try to call and have it booked that way. Unless they deny overseas members to book BE fares?!?!?!
From the fare rules:
TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:27 am

From the fare rules:
TICKETS MAY ONLY BE SOLD IN THE UNITED STATES.

Did not know that. Thanks^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.