Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA1K
i did a quick search and could not find anything...with BE and you're plat on UA...do you still need to pay to check a bag?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by haddon90
i did a quick search and could not find anything...with BE and you're plat on UA...do you still need to pay to check a bag?
No. BE has no effect on checked bag waivers. In fact, as a Plat, you can still board in group 1 and bring a carry-on. However, you won't be able to select seats and aren't eligible for an upgrade.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Oh please. When we're talking about "required" benefits for *G, we are by definition talking about *A rules.
And we're still not talking about required *G benefits. We're talking about something a poster thinks UA should change.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by jsloan
No. BE has no effect on checked bag waivers. In fact, as a Plat, you can still board in group 1 and bring a carry-on. However, you won't be able to select seats and aren't eligible for an upgrade.
that is great to know...not too worried about seat selection. only going to use BE on short flights.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by physioprof
What is "United Continental" referred to multiple times here? The name of the airline we're discussing is "United Airlines", isn't it?
Originally Posted by mduell
Presumably United Continental Holdings Inc. which operates multiple businesses including some doing business as "United Airlines".
Exactly. What the current corporation is passing itself off as United at this time is not - the overall corporate entity is a combination that frankly has not figured out what it wants to be. It is more of a half and half. Its implementation of BE is a classic example. Either sell something unique that people really want to buy or build on your strengths. BE is neither.

David

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2017 at 1:37 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
No I was responding to the statement that UA "needs" to change its policy so that *G get free E+.

There's nothing in the *A rules that require UA to do that.
I never insinuated this was a required benefit for *G. But I think we can both agree *G deserve E+ at check-in over non status BE customers.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zeer0
But I think we can both agree *G deserve E+ at check-in over non status BE customers.
I don't agree with that. Preferred seating is not a *G benefit.

While I would never buy a BE fare, I don't think BE pax should be treated as second class citizens.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Based overseas but end up doing a blitz of travel, especially US domestic, from July-October every year. Until now,this BE business had simply been in the abstract for me but now that I'm in the middle of my travel season, it's increasing becoming an annoyance for me. I had only seen $20 across the board for all the routes I've been flying or plan to fly until today.....$40 for ORD-MHT on a base rate of $87.

ORD-BOS is still $20 on the same fare amount though I'm assuming this is related to the fare buckets. I will eat $20 without much of a thought. $40, though not any financial burden, annoys me enough though to book elsewhere.

Booked Jetblue at $107 from ORD-BOS. Same total amount as United with surcharge. Booked out of spite.

Originally Posted by wh6cto
That's $20 each way, but it can be much more.

So far, this is the worst "markup" I've seen to get out of BE:

Maybe this BE fare is actually reduced, but 80% more for non-BE?!?

Last edited by mackenzie77; Aug 14, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Maybe this BE fare is actually reduced, but 80% more for non-BE?!?
I was criticized for saying it at the time, but months later I'll say it again: This is exactly what happened with Tango fares on Air Canada - I'm sure United watched with interest.

At first the delta was very small - Over time it grew and grew.

Today, on a YYZ-YVR return fare, the Tango difference is $300 USD ($500 USD vs $800 USD).

The same will happen here - Not overnight, but it will happen. Mark my words.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by DELee
Exactly. What the current corporation is passing itself off as United at this time is not - the overall corporate entity is a combination that frankly has not figured out what it wants to be. It is more of a half and half - or, in the vernacular, half a**ed. Its implementation of BE is a classic example. Either sell something unique that people really want to buy or build on your strengths. BE is neither.

David
Kind of confused, but regardless of any of these complaints, the airline is called "United Airlines".
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by Liquid_G
Anyone else get this awesome email?

Dear Mileage plus member, we want you to be aware of a fare option that is useless to you if you'd like to earn miles.....

What a joke.
I laughed out loud!

​​​​​​It's been absolutely surreal watching how they've described the deterioration in service over the past 5 years.

I was booking a flight from a small city in the Midwest to EWR yesterday, and was blown away at how far out of their way they went to try to get a 12-16 hour layover on the schedule at ORD.

They're so focused on creating a terrible experience, but even provide lousy options if you actually pay for first.

This airline's days are numbered.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by physioprof
Kind of confused, but regardless of any of these complaints, the airline is called "United Airlines".
It seems like you're more than confused.

The OP was extremely clear in his point: UA doesn't know if it's Spirit or Singapore, and wants to be both.

Reminding him that the company is called United Airlines is snark.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rostovru
The OP was extremely clear in his point: UA doesn't know if it's Spirit or Singapore, and wants to be both.
Regardless of what you think of the airline, it's name is United Airlines. Calling it by the name of its holding company doesn't make any rational sense and will just confuse people.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Regardless of what you think of the airline, it's name is United Airlines. Calling it by the name of its holding company doesn't make any rational sense and will just confuse people.
Irrespective of what I call it, they call themselves United Continental, renamed themselves United Airlines, Inc. from Continental and still fly under the Continental operating certificate. So they are confused as to what they are so it confuses everyone else.

Back on topic for this thread, in doing 1-way searches for LAX-TPA for November, all results are 1- and 2-stop flights (no non-stops out of LAX). BE is usually priced $25 to $40 less than the lowest available Economy fare with some flights pricing in at the same cost where BE is the same as the regular Economy fare.

That being said, the search results also show at least 3 flights where BE is priced higher than Economy by $84.

David
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

The topic of this thread is "Basic Economy", let's return that discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.