Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by spin88
There is no way that I am every going to buy a BE fare either. [snip]

And for those who have status on United? Well now they have to pay a noncompetitive (higher) fare to use their benifits.

Since OALs are matching UA's pricing, they are not winning any new traffic with BE, and as people figure out UA is giving less, expect UA to loose sales. But the damage is ever greater with Elites. either because their company will not pay extra to fly UA, or because they don't like getting ripped off (my feelings) some elites will bail on UA over time.
Exactly. It's much worse for elites than taking away benefits. If you make me buy E+ okay I get that - it's a better seat. If I check a bag I can pay for that service. But here I have no choice - I am forced to buy an uncompetitive fare just to get assigned seats for my family - something I get free elsewhere. Same with EQM.

It's a massive devaluation of elite benefits.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
BE has not been a universal price increase. It's not hard to find fares that are lower than what competitors are offering or simply cheaper than seen before. Pricing is so dynamic that this many months later a person can't be comparing prices last winter versus now for a specific route. That comparison has long passed.
That's what I hear but not what I've seen. On some domestic routes I see +$80 per person each way and that's just not going to fly for elites. I can buy perks for less on the competition (or get them free). Again WN seems to get it right: $15 for EBCI (equivalent of seat rez) and $25 for BS (free drink, preferred seat & boarding, etc.)

Personally I'm hoping that the experiment is terminated after a year, a la Song, CO-lite, TED, etc. I can live with that. Otherwise it will be sayonara and hasta la vista for leisure trips. Maybe that's the goal: drive out lifetime elites so the benefits can be monetized.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 11, 2017 at 9:33 pm
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I remember seeing United claim that regular economy prices weren't going to increase. This was before the rollout. I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but it may have been in a social media response from United (which could have been false information). Now it's driving me crazy trying to remember where I saw it.
Certainly not to the investors - UA was very upfront that it would raise revenue: something like $1B I think?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I remember seeing United claim that regular economy prices weren't going to increase. This was before the rollout. I can't remember exactly where I saw it, but it may have been in a social media response from United (which could have been false information). Now it's driving me crazy trying to remember where I saw it.
I've never seen that. They were always clear that it was meant to raise revenue. There's no business point in offering to fly someone for say, $50 on a flight that they have been paying, say $80 for. Why woul UA, in this example, want to voluntarily get )30 less for something that costs the same amount to operate?

UA wants to either have you buy regular economy, at the price above BE, or buy BE but sell you extras like the checked bag that you could have brought in as a carry on with a regular fare.

Originally Posted by minnyfly
Then why do you even care about what airlines do with BE? You're not in the market for them. Should be out of sight and out of mind. If you're prone to get disgusted with and rant about every airline that institutes a price increase, you'd very quickly run out of airlines to fly. So that rationally can't be why you hate BE. If you hate the concept of BE, an understandable position, we can assume you had to abandon DL long ago and now are looking to eliminate AA. Right?
Rational thoughts here, but as illustrated by post history, spin loves to pounce on UA for every single decision they make, even when other carriers do the same thing. Others get a pass, but never UA.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
$100 fare, +80% to get out of BE

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA did not cut prices when they introduced BE. They laid it on top of the existing fare structure, so now you pay a premium (typically $20) for a non-BE fare.
That's $20 each way, but it can be much more.

So far, this is the worst "markup" I've seen to get out of BE:

Maybe this BE fare is actually reduced, but 80% more for non-BE?!?
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wh6cto
80% more for non-BE?!?
It could be deliberate, or it could be a pricing error. Those are rampant.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It could be deliberate, or it could be a pricing error. Those are rampant.
This one appears to be deliberate. The non-BE markup is currently $40 across the board on AUS-IAD G fares and $20 on K, L, S, and T fares.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
This one appears to be deliberate. The non-BE markup is currently $40 across the board on AUS-IAD G fares and $20 on K, L, S, and T fares.
perhaps just trying to beat F9 pricing on that route for the pax most focusing on lower pricing...F9 nonstop fares are $108 each way on their nonstops that day (if you join their 'club').
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Some valid points of course.

United Warns Elite Frequent Flyers: Unless You Spend More Money, Your Flight’s Gonna Be Bad

by Gary Leff on August 12, 2017

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....hts-gonna-bad/

Mods - feel free to merge or delete if posted elsewhere
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Part that caught my eye was "If anyone books United tickets on your behalf, you may want to share these details with them . . . if there is a Basic Economy fare available, we will also offer the standard United Economy fare option."
My reading of this is: "Tell your travel office you don't want these seats."
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
I bought a BE fare on SFO-LAX and thought it was perfect. The miles don't really matter, I don't need to get upgraded, and group 1 boarding + carry-on was great. I thought the ticket being orange in my app was a little embarrassing, like a scarlet letter on you, but other than that no issues. Would definitely use these for short-haul routes.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
I bought a BE fare on SFO-LAX and thought it was perfect. The miles don't really matter, I don't need to get upgraded, and group 1 boarding + carry-on was great. I thought the ticket being orange in my app was a little embarrassing, like a scarlet letter on you, but other than that no issues. Would definitely use these for short-haul routes.
Or you could buy VX or WN, get full EQM and RDM credit, and easily avoid a middle seat. Personally I would take these over UA even if the price was higher.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lot of frothing at the mouth who don't want to and therefore won't purchase BE.

DWBEDBBE.
(Don't Want BE, Don't Buy BE).

It's that simple.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
They seem to be pushing the double markdown (or markup) on the G/N spread only. On the other hand, that was an AUS-IAD r/t for $100. I'm not intimately familiar with the market, but it seems awfully cheap.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Rational thoughts here, but as illustrated by post history, spin loves to pounce on UA for every single decision they make, even when other carriers do the same thing. Others get a pass, but never UA.
I will simply note again that United is doing something very very different in using BE on fares outside of the very lowest fare categories (who says that United can not "lead" ). United is (was?) hoping that others would follow it down this road of an "elite tax" and Kirby has been sending signals to the industry to follow them, or UA will have to back down. While United has backed down some (it no longer is doing BE above mid-level fares) it is doing something very different in both the much larger range of fares impacted by BE (so that business travelers like myself run into the BE upcharge demand) and in not giving any elite credit for BE fares unlike OALs (DL gives full credit, AA on the few BE fares they have gives 1/2 credit).

And this is not my view, UA (via Kirby on the 2Q call) has frankly admitted UA is doing something very different:

"I think basic economy will be more of a tailwind. It’s less of a tailwind right now, because on some of our competitors, the standard, you can get the standard product on our competitors for the same [price] that we get the basic product on United Airlines. That won’t be the case in the long run, but in the near term, we get benefits from selling up more customers, but I’m sure we lose some share as a result of that as well....in the near term, you know, the upside that we get from upsell is offset, it’s impossible for us to make sure, but I’m sure it’s offset to a larger, maybe a complete degree by share shift”

this of course is just on pricing, taking away elite credit for BE is also unique to United.

Feel free to discuss what impact BE is having on you, or how you think United will be impacted by BE, or feel free to speculate how long United can stick with its current plan if DL/AA don't match UA's version of BE, etc, but IMHO it is not correct to just pretend that United is doing what other airlines are doing, they are not. @:-)
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wh6cto
That's $20 each way, but it can be much more.

So far, this is the worst "markup" I've seen to get out of BE:

Maybe this BE fare is actually reduced, but 80% more for non-BE?!?
BE here is sub-4cpm, even non-BE is sub-7cpm. This low-yield stuff is what BE is for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.