Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gglave
I was criticized for saying it at the time, but months later I'll say it again: This is exactly what happened with Tango fares on Air Canada - I'm sure United watched with interest.

At first the delta was very small - Over time it grew and grew.

Today, on a YYZ-YVR return fare, the Tango difference is $300 USD ($500 USD vs $800 USD).

The same will happen here - Not overnight, but it will happen. Mark my words.
Haven't noticed BE fare differentials much until recently. Looking at a high-frequency route like DEN-SFO is showing price consistency among all the carriers - but only if comparing against BE fares. Regular economy adds a 45% premium!!

This is where UA is going to fail. Why on earth would someone choose UA over WN in this situation??

Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrswirl
Haven't noticed BE fare differentials much until recently. Looking at a high-frequency route like DEN-SFO is showing price consistency among all the carriers - but only if comparing against BE fares. Regular economy adds a 45% premium!!

This is where UA is going to fail. Why on earth would someone choose UA over WN in this situation??

Good question. I have noticed the differentials widening as well, and it has enticed me to book away from UA. I hope they realise.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrswirl
This is another example of UA trying out a wider spread at the lowest fare classes; it's $40 each way on G fares and $20 each way on K fares. You're seeing that odd amount because it's pricing two G--BN fares for basic economy but a mix of K and G for regular economy.

Here's hoping they fail and have to roll back. I really don't know who this fare is supposed to target -- business travelers aren't known for booking G fares, and price-sensitive leisure travelers may very well prefer to get a full size carry-on and two free checked bags on WN. So, I guess... they're hoping to target price-insensitive Premiers on leisure travel? That's a fairly narrow target.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
So, I guess... they're hoping to target price-insensitive Premiers on leisure travel? That's a fairly narrow target.
That was [almost] me...looking to book leisure travel for me and the wife but there's no way I can justify a 45% premium for E+ and 1900 EQMs.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This is another example of UA trying out a wider spread at the lowest fare classes; it's $40 each way on G fares and $20 each way on K fares. You're seeing that odd amount because it's pricing two G--BN fares for basic economy but a mix of K and G for regular economy.

Here's hoping they fail and have to roll back. I really don't know who this fare is supposed to target -- business travelers aren't known for booking G fares, and price-sensitive leisure travelers may very well prefer to get a full size carry-on and two free checked bags on WN. So, I guess... they're hoping to target price-insensitive Premiers on leisure travel? That's a fairly narrow target.
As far as I can tell $40 (or double-differential?) G fares are nationwide now. I would argue they're doing it on the assumption that G fares are fire sales lost to NK and F9. That this is just factually incorrect for some routes (as they match WN, SY, AS, with G fares) is just indicative of what seems like a lazy lack of finesse in applying these fares. They could benefit from actually paying someone to analyze individual markets and apply the fare structure accordingly..
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Looking just now at one-way ORD-MSP pricing on Sep 10th across various flights.

I still see a $40 BE differential on the one flight where G is available, and a $20 BE differential on flights where K or L is the lowest available fare class.

However I saw two things I hadn't seen before. First, on a flight where W is the lowest available fare class, they aren't selling BE. Second, there's a flight where T is the lowest available fare class, and the BE differential is $0 - they'll sell a BE N fare at $110, or a non-BE T fare at $110.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rowenb
However I saw two things I hadn't seen before. First, on a flight where W is the lowest available fare class, they aren't selling BE. Second, there's a flight where T is the lowest available fare class, and the BE differential is $0 - they'll sell a BE N fare at $110, or a non-BE T fare at $110.
Not matching W is new policy - they've backed off and are only selling "cheap" BE fares.

The $0 differential at T is an error. They published TAA0AWEN but forgot TAA0AWBN, and coincidentally TAA7AWBN happens to be the same price as the original fare. It's really mind-boggling that these sort of mistakes not only happen, but seem to be common.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
SFO-MCO... Heaven for BE issues

On UA292 for a business trip. I'm guessing 2/3 of this flight is in Basic Economy fares, given the length of the Group 5 line and the number of groups that have been split up. Woman just asked me to give up 7F for a middle so she could sit with her 12-ish year old daughter.

The gentleman in 7C is a much better person than I am, clearly.

What a show

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2017 at 3:26 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
While I totally agree that it seems stupid to pay UA BE fare when you could fly WN somebody is buying them for sure. The BE crowd seems to be growing on every flight I am on now.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:24 pm

If you purchase a basic ticket can you still check a free bag if you have the united CC? Also, if you are not assigned a seat and the flight full what would happen if only economy plus seats are left open?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Francactc
If you purchase a basic ticket can you still check a free bag if you have the united CC? Also, if you are not assigned a seat and the flight full what would happen if only economy plus seats are left open?
Yes, you still have a free checked bag. If there are no E- seats left, you will be assigned a seat in E+, although note that a lot of Silvers move up in the 24 hours before departure so a full E- cabin now does not guarantee such at check-in.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
The BE crowd seems to be growing on every flight I am on now.
That reflects the timing of the BE roll-out. As time passes, fewer of the pax who purchase tickets based solely on lowest price will have bought their tix prior to the BE roll-out.

Nor is the large number of BE pax a sign of success. UA doesn't want to sell lots of BE tix (especially now that they've limited the fares to the discount classes). They want customers to be paying up to get out of these fares.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
... Nor is the large number of BE pax a sign of success. ....
Although it does lend credence to "people buy only on price" theory.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:48 pm

There are 2 of us travlling LAS to SFO on UA (booked as 2 PNRs) pure domestic fares this month. We were both Star Gold back in June when the reservations were made and it reflected on the email confirmed (1st bag free). Now neither of us are Star Gold and it shows USD25 per check bag.

Because we entered New Zealand billing address, we were directed to United New Zealand website and paid by NZD (not USD). Booking class "United Economy (S)". We are able to select seats and online view reservation says we are allowed 1 carry-on bag + personal item, and various of upgrade options to E+ and F.

My question is one the day of travel, can UA agents tell we are eligible for a carry-on each? Were we booked into Basic Economy?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Nor is the large number of BE pax a sign of success. UA doesn't want to sell lots of BE tix (especially now that they've limited the fares to the discount classes). They want customers to be paying up to get out of these fares.
I agree -- but it's also not a sign of failure. UA wins either way -- if people give them more money to avoid BE, that's good for them, and if people buy BE, those people weren't going to pay more anyway, and now they get less for their money.

The most visible sign of failure would be empty seats. A less visible sign of failure would be decreased PRASM -- if people are moving away from UA because they offer BE on higher fares, UA's fare mix would skew lower.

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Booking class "United Economy (S)". We are able to select seats and online view reservation says we are allowed 1 carry-on bag + personal item, and various of upgrade options to E+ and F.

My question is one the day of travel, can UA agents tell we are eligible for a carry-on each? Were we booked into Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is class N and cannot be upgraded. You won't have any problems bringing a carry-on; you're not in Basic Economy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2017 at 5:59 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.