Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly18725
I'm not going to post the fare rules here. Anyone is free to look them up.
Fare rules don't cover IRROPS. That's in the Contract of Carriage, Rule 24(E)2:

Delay, Misconnection or Cancellation
a. When a Passenger’s ticket is affected because of Irregular Operations caused by UA, UA will take the following measures:
i. Transport the Passenger on its own flights, subject to availability, to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service, at no additional cost to the Passenger; or
ii. At its sole discretion, UA may arrange for the passenger to travel on another carrier. United may also, at its sole discretion, and if acceptable to the passenger, arrange for the passenger to travel via ground transportation.
b. In the event a Passenger misses an onward connecting flight on which space is reserved because the Delivering Carrier did not operate its flight due to Irregular Operations or a Schedule Change, the Delivering Carrier is responsible to arrange for carriage of the Passenger or to make a refund.
UA would be well within its contractual rights to be inflexible on IRROPS for BE tickets. They are under no obligation to endorse the ticket to another carrier, nor are they required to offer the next available flight or any particular routing.

I'm not arguing whether or not this is a good strategy, just: (a) as mduell states, some BE customers have claimed that UA is behaving this way in IRROPS, and (b) I'm not aware of any published policy that would prohibit them from doing so.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH, AY, HHonors Gold
BE definitely looks very easy to game with the right status. I have *G with a non-United airline. I'm just returning from my domestic LAX-SFO-PSC-SFO-BUR trip in BE to see the solar eclipse. I've checked a bag both ways, brought along a big backpack as carry-on, boarded in group 2, and visited United Clubs three times along the way, all for free. Seat selection is the only thing I miss, but on the CRJ-200s it placed me in rows 2-3 on each of the three flights (on the LAX-SFO flight in a 737, I was in the back in E-). Life could be worse.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Open_Road
BE definitely looks very easy to game with the right status. I have *G with a non-United airline.
Out of curiosity, does your non-UA airline accrue any miles (RDM or PQMs) on the BE N fare?
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by fly18725
Part of the network carriers' value proposition is better flight schedules. Even with BE fares, you don't have to pay to check-in, or to get a snack and beverages on a flight.
Or to get a seat with tolerable legroom (or much better), or free entertainment, or sometimes in-seat power, or available WiFi, etc.

Originally Posted by mduell
The network is less relevant in BE IRROPS if you're locked into your routing and have to take whatever the autorebook computer spits out, as a post above claimed.
Even if locked to a route, there's still no doubt which airline we'd rather be flying on.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:49 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Open_Road

Seat selection is the only thing I miss, but on the CRJ-200s it placed me in rows 2-3 on each of the three flights (on the LAX-SFO flight in a 737, I was in the back in E-). Life could be worse.
Seat selection on the CRJ is pretty much irreverent, as ALL seats SUCK @:-)

Club access is nice, but I'd rather get better seats

And yes, as regular YVR-SFO flyer I speak from experience (no clubs unless connecting in YVR).
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but it can be a PITA to buy "regular" seats when BE is being sold on your flight. I just ran into it on an AA fare. Booking for the xmas season, AA's Basic Economy fare was $103 and regular coach was $114. Especially as an AA elite, there's no way I want BE to save $11. The problem is that all the third-party websites I looked at weren't programed to offer regular economy if there's a BE fare offered on your flight. If you didn't want BE, it seemed like you had to buy your ticket on AA.com. This was particularly irritating to me because I wanted to use credit card loyalty points to pay for this, but the Chase, Citi and US Bank websites would only sell me the BE fare. Finally, I called the US Bank travel agency (I really wanted to use up my Altitude new card bonus given the 1.5 cent rate for airline tickets), and they were able to MANUALLY sell me the regular economy seats at the 1.5 redemption rate. The agent had no idea if they were working on a fix to this problem.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but it can be a PITA to buy "regular" seats when BE is being sold on your flight. I just ran into it on an AA fare. Booking for the xmas season, AA's Basic Economy fare was $103 and regular coach was $114. Especially as an AA elite, there's no way I want BE to save $11. The problem is that all the third-party websites I looked at weren't programed to offer regular economy if there's a BE fare offered on your flight. If you didn't want BE, it seemed like you had to buy your ticket on AA.com. This was particularly irritating to me because I wanted to use credit card loyalty points to pay for this, but the Chase, Citi and US Bank websites would only sell me the BE fare. Finally, I called the US Bank travel agency (I really wanted to use up my Altitude new card bonus given the 1.5 cent rate for airline tickets), and they were able to MANUALLY sell me the regular economy seats at the 1.5 redemption rate. The agent had no idea if they were working on a fix to this problem.
some offer the option to exclude them. I know the hopper app does, and I haven't tried, but know I had the new version of Kayak download and at least the notes say there is an option to exclude, as well
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by mduell
The network is less relevant in BE IRROPS if you're locked into your routing and have to take whatever the autorebook computer spits out, as a post above claimed.
fwiw, third party travel agents can rebook on any routing because of irrops or schedule changes. The only restriction is that Basic Economy customers must be rebooked into the Basic Economy booking code (N class), which as far as I know still tracks to Y even though the higher BE fare bases have been eliminated. I'd be surprised if United gave first party phone agents less authority than third party travel agents, but training and consistency has always been an issue.

(This message is caveated by the fact that I don't sell Basic Economy, so I don't have first-hand experience with this policy, but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to reroute one of my customers during irrops.)
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
I was doing a cursory search SFOSTL on 05SEP and was surprised to find several instances where Basic Economy was priced either at the same fare as Restricted Economy, or in some cases where BE was "more" than other Economy fares. Not sure if there is a price increase that is in works or if its certain markets where this sort of thing occurs, but fairly confusing.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I was doing a cursory search SFOSTL on 05SEP and was surprised to find several instances where Basic Economy was priced either at the same fare as Restricted Economy, or in some cases where BE was "more" than other Economy fares. Not sure if there is a price increase that is in works or if its certain markets where this sort of thing occurs, but fairly confusing.
It's a UA pricing error.

Very very common. The rollout of these fares has been extraordinarily poorly conceived and executed.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I've always wondered how they dealt with the BE inventory. I bet revenue management is tearing their hair out trying to balance this. Since BE books into N, and they try to keep it available at all times, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of script that keeps funneling inventory into N.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by diburning
I've always wondered how they dealt with the BE inventory. I bet revenue management is tearing their hair out trying to balance this. Since BE books into N, and they try to keep it available at all times, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some sort of script that keeps funneling inventory into N.
N = Y. Done.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
N = Y. Done.
Also, since BE is now only available on select economy fares, it requires availability of the underlying economy fare basis. Once that's sold out, no more BE.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ghetto_economy
Thanks for the replies

Might go to the counter and see what they say. Apparently you have to check in there on a basic economy fare if not checking a bag- some scarlet letter .....

I think it's easier to get away with the oversized personal item as its a backpack but we'll see. I'll report back.

On another note, is that basic economy crap coming to any more airlines? Haven't had issues with this carry on on super cheap Asian /European carriers.
In case anyone is curious, was not able to bring it on as a carry on per the check in desk. (40L backpack, maybe 2/3 full) Biggest annoyance to me was that I was not able to pay a fee to upgrade to a full size carry on at the counter- more concerned with convenience than money.

Boarding pass makes it super obvious you're a BE customer (mildly amusing going into a lounge with that) and United was hassling a BE flyer about their bag size as I walked through the gate. Seemed like both sides were thrilled.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 5:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ghetto_economy
... Biggest annoyance to me was that I was not able to pay a fee to upgrade to a full size carry on at the counter- more concerned with convenience than money. ....
Yeap, no passenger initiated ticket changes allowed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.