Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not talking about fare levels changing. As I said before, that would not have sparked a 177 page thread. Fares go up and down, that's their nature.

I'm talking about seeing the spread between BE and regular economy when you run a search. That seems to cause a widespread negative reaction. My personal reaction is:

1. I'm annoyed, because the "lowest fare" that led me to click is an inferior product that I absolutely will not purchase.

2. I'm annoyed, because I don't even want to see these fares.

3. I'm annoyed, because it reminds me that UA has raised the fare and then lied that this is about giving passengers "more choices" as opposed to simply being a revenue grab. I don't so much mind the fare increase, but I resent being lied to.

4. I'm saddened, because this is just further stratification of the flying public, which I find dehumanizing and which actually has an impact on how people treat one another.
+1 The constant pitch that this is just a fare increase so get over it, misses the forest. Pricing changes all the time, based upon demand, available buckets, etc. What United did was tie its matching price to BE and then demand an up-charge if I want to have the benefits of my elite status (or credit to retain it). And they did (and in some markets still do) this at relatively high fare levels, which impacts business travelers.

This was just a rather blatant effort to force those with status on United (those who care about E+ access, status credit, an upgrade change if 1K/GS, etc) to pay more to use that status. It made United uncompetitive, and I would argue it makes MP a far les competitive program to try to have elite status in, given it makes access to elite benefits pay as you go.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by jsloan
Honestly, this is the part I don't get. First of all, that's on your employer, who apparently values $40 more than the time it takes you to fill out the paperwork, your manager / approver to approve it, the travel and compliance team to review it, etc.
We have a "lowest cost logical routing" price tolerance to give travelers discretion to choose their preferred carrier. It's nearly identical to what I've had at other employers.

The extra paperwork is because I'm not selecting the lowest fare available for the flights I want. Our travel admin says they can book me for $800 on United and I'm saying I want the exact same flights for $840. That's an exception form. The rule was created long before BE existed. Does it need to be changed? Sure. But, to my point, why do I keep having to fight the system to give United business when I'm finding less and less value in giving United my business.

Second, I keep seeing this weird fantasy where all airfare automatically costs exactly the same amount. Perhaps that's true on the routes that some people fly, but for me, that's rarely the case.
\

I live in a tier 2 city and every flight involves a connection (unless I'm flying to a carrier's east coast hub or ORD) and generally fly to a non-hub city. So if I'm flying ROC - PDX I can fly AA, DL, or UA all with one stop and they're all priced almost identically almost every time for out on Monday home on Friday at normal hours. Don't believe me; check it. It's like this in almost every secondary market to secondary market out there.

So, if you have to fill out paperwork every time you spend $40 more than the minimum, did you never have to fill out the same paperwork before? Here, let's use the specific SFO-SEA example that I see on this thread all the time. 7 days out, Tuesday to Friday -- and, hey, UA even killed BE. Assuming your travel policy won't force you to take F9 through DEN -- at $328, it's the lowest price I see on ITA -- then you get a choice of a lot of flights at $343. But the earliest flight is AS at $385. In fact, all of AS's flights before 11:40 AM are $385. So, if you wanted to fly AS, and you didn't want to waste the day in the airport, you'd have to get special approval?
Your strawman is fundamentally wrong on just about every point. In that scenario I could choose whatever flight I want because it's within the price tolerance of the lowest least cost logical fare. If I wanted to buy out of the lowest fare I gotta go through the paperwork.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
3. I'm annoyed, because it reminds me that UA has raised the fare and then lied that this is about giving passengers "more choices" as opposed to simply being a revenue grab. I don't so much mind the fare increase, but I resent being lied to.

4. I'm saddened, because this is just further stratification of the flying public, which I find dehumanizing and which actually has an impact on how people treat one another.
Right there at #3 is one aspect of what we're talking about by looking at prices in a vacuum. BE is NOT a universal price increase. We're long, long past the time when you can simply imagine the BE fare was the previous Y fare and go from there. You weren't lied to when it was advertised as "more choices". That's a fact. You were not informed of the primary purpose of BE, but then again when does a business openly say a change is to make you pay more? And are we really that crazy to expect it? If you resent being "lied" to in this manner, there isn't a business left that's sinless. Ironically I find UA to be one of the more transparent airlines out there.

And if you're annoyed by an airline offering another purchasing option that you're simply not interested in, good luck finding an airline you aren't annoyed with. And this being dehumanizing? Seriously?

$10-15 fare spreads were common in the initial rollout. Not sure why its news now. In general, I'm seeing spreads increase. But with that, I'm seeing more ULCC-like fares. Can't complain with that.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by minnyfly
$10-15 fare spreads were common in the initial rollout. Not sure why its news now. In general, I'm seeing spreads increase. But with that, I'm seeing more ULCC-like fares. Can't complain with that.
I think that the rub. For me the over/under is $25 - that is, I am willing to pay $25 to avoid a Spirit experience and further to enjoy my elite benefits and accumulate EQM on UA.

But if you read the entire thread you will see time and time again the difference is well in excess of $25. And the BE folks are being rewarded for rolling the dice with E+ seats assigned at T-24. It absolutely doesn't work for families with young children. And therein lies the resentment from elites and why UA is finding that BE is merely snagging low value customers and actually shedding high value customers.

As for ULCC-like fares, I haven't seen any @sfo that really stood out compared to what I see often on VX, B6 and WN fare sales. For years UA has simply matched others, as opposed to the old days when you'd find newspaper adverts trotting out the latest sale fares. Nope, the message we get is "we are punishing you for buying BE" not "we are cutting fares" because they aren't.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I bought my first BE fare yesterday, I am really not sure what United's goal is here.

MSP-LAX for $39.20 on an E75 so no middle seats. Upcharge to G was $40, at a lower difference I would have bit if only for the mileage eligibility but at more than double the BE fare I'll be content with my personal item and unknown seat.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by belynch
I live in a tier 2 city and every flight involves a connection (unless I'm flying to a carrier's east coast hub or ORD) and generally fly to a non-hub city. So if I'm flying ROC - PDX I can fly AA, DL, or UA all with one stop and they're all priced almost identically almost every time for out on Monday home on Friday at normal hours. Don't believe me; check it. It's like this in almost every secondary market to secondary market out there.
+1 I think this fundamental fact is something that UA has utterly failed to understand since 2012. They keep thinking they have monopoly hub power and people have to fly then. The truth is that with Delta expanding on the West Coast and ex-BOS and JFK, AA+US, WN building out there network, and to a lesser extent (on the west coast) with AS+VX, most second tier cities no longer have a "best option" airline, they have several that work equally well.

And major metropolitan areas (SEA, SFO, BOS) are seeing much more competition and more options. E.g. when I bailed on UA just after the SFH, it was hard to make it work, I flew several different airlines. But today, I can put 80% of my travel direct on VX+AS and perhaps 70% direct on DL, vs maybe 85% direct on UA. Things that might fly in a monopoly hub (like charging your elite fliers $30+ extra to use their elite benefits and not get treated like they are flying NK) just don't fly in a competitive market.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by belynch
I don't believe you based on my experiences with secondary cities. In general, they are not highly competitive and vary widely in price. So I checked your route. And I still don't believe it. For example, when does ROC-PDX see this rampant price matching? If you limit it to one-stop there some matching or near matching on some days among some airlines for some times, but it's limited. It's nothing like all-day, everyday price matching one can often find on highly competitive nonstop routes. For example, let's take ROC-PDX on 9/11-9/15, a good day for matching. On the outbound all three airlines have RT prices of $592-596. You might think there's good matches. Well, maybe not. AA has no departures before mid-afternoon. DL is all early morning except for one evening and one mid-day that takes you out of the way through ATL (who wants that?). UA is the only one with a variety of departure times and sensible routes. On the return the situation is reversed, with DL being the only one to offer a wide variety at the low price. Was it really an equal fight? Not really. You can't just pick your airline at the same price.

And then you have to ask the question. Who's matching who? If other airlines are matching UA's BE fares, go fly someone else and take the free discount while you can. No harm in it, and no reason to have a major vendetta against an airline (it's like hating an airline for not being cheapest on every route--ridiculous). For example, I've been subject to DL's E fares for years now. I don't like it, but it's not one of the reasons I generally shy away from flying DL. I take what all airlines give me and make my own purchasing decision based on that.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I saw some very unhappy people at the gate at RDU today on BE fares. The first had one bad, an wheelie bag that would have to go in the overhead bin, and nothing else. He was forced to pay $50 to check it after the gate agent said he remembered him from the check in counters and it was made clear to him the bag had to be checked even if it was his only one.

Two women had paid $25 for checked bags but thought it was a carry on bag fee and were forced to pay another $25 at the gate to check their bags. They claimed the website was confusing about this which frankly it may well be, being as it's United.com.

Sure made for a great free show for me though.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 2:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Moderator Note

As the discussion of the purchase of a Basic Economy fare on ctrip began a discussion focused on dealing with ctrip, have broken it out as a separate thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...my-ticket.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:11 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Booking flights to Chicago from Denver during Thanksgiving. F9/NK have fares between 150-200 RT. UA on the other hand is selling BE for $300.

Seriously United? a 50-100% premium to get a BE seat?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by caverunner17
Booking flights to Chicago from Denver during Thanksgiving. F9/NK have fares between 150-200 RT. UA on the other hand is selling BE for $300.

Seriously United? a 50-100% premium to get a BE seat?
What is the fare for non-BE?

David
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Looks like they fixed the BE seat selection algorithm. Got 39a/b (very last row) there and 14a/b back. Although not any worse than I would get with normal E, which has often also been the last row as a *G. One can hope for SAS Go/SAS Go Light type rules.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by DELee
What is the fare for non-BE?

David
DEN-ORD adds $20 to the cheapest flight, ORD-DEN adds $66

All in, the cheapest non-BE fare I see is almost $390. Of course, I'm going with Spirit for $158 RT + $60 for bags ($218) as it's almost half the cost.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caverunner17
DEN-ORD adds $20 to the cheapest flight, ORD-DEN adds $66
Those numbers should be $20 and $46. Selecting BE on the return flight would re-fare the outbound to be BE as well, so the "$66" is a combination of the two.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:09 pm

Those numbers should be $20 and $46. Selecting BE on the return flight would re-fare the outbound to be BE as well, so the "$66" is a combination of the two.
I usually buy domestic tickets as 2x OW instead of RT as I often find another carrier has a better price on one of the tickets vs the RT price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.