Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Changed flights 2.5h earlier, onto an oversold SFO-SAN flight Monday, went from R to 21B (cuz its only like 1h6m). Seated next to a BE flyer, who was IRROPS from PDX and got 21A. Told him how providentially lucky he was, with IRROPS and all...

He agreed, but he said he was playing the BE crapshoot, knew that if all the E- seats are booked, good chance he gets E+ free and cheaper ticket. No reason to book and pay.

Others posited that this could be one way to angle shoot the BE experience...
Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by fivevsone
Changed flights 2.5h earlier, onto an oversold SFO-SAN flight Monday, went from R to 21B (cuz its only like 1h6m). Seated next to a BE flyer, who was IRROPS from PDX and got 21A. Told him how providentially lucky he was, with IRROPS and all...

He agreed, but he said he was playing the BE crapshoot, knew that if all the E- seats are booked, good chance he gets E+ free and cheaper ticket. No reason to book and pay.

Others posited that this could be one way to angle shoot the BE experience...
So much for (airline management) theory that BE flyers are all kettles seeking the lowest price. Maybe the reverse, BE flyers are sophisticated customers who roll the dice in hopes of gaming the system.] - LOL. No wonder the program hasn't met UA's revenue expectations,

In the meantime, the rest of us pay a BE tax for seating certainty, elite perks and better IRROPS service.

Hard to see this working as a long time business model for UA, AA, DL as opposed to Spirit, Ryanair, etc. where all customers expect to be treated like dirt and know they have to pay for seats, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fivevsone

I mean, I'm guilty of doing that. Not with BE, but on a DL flight last month, an American flight before that. If all that's left is crappy middle seats, or no seats at all, you're better off just going seat unassigned. On that DL flight I got a sweet exit row aisle seat, which would of otherwise required an upcharge.

It's a brave new world Hell I'm considering a UA flight where I'd book BE simply because the "elite premium" is just too high and I can suffice with a backpack.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
Has the cost of BE gone up? I just looked at DEN-SFO for next July and a one-way flight is $108 in BE or $149 in regular economy, or $41 extra. A 38% surcharge if my math is correct.
Seeing 40% buy ups to regular economy on many ~$100 BE fares.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by zeer0
Seeing 40% buy ups to regular economy on many ~$100 BE fares.
88% markups on some of these -- ORD-LAX RT 9/16-9/18 has some $90.40 BE tickets with an $80 markup to Y round trip.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So much for (airline management) theory that BE flyers are all kettles seeking the lowest price. Maybe the reverse, BE flyers are sophisticated customers who roll the dice in hopes of gaming the system.] - LOL. No wonder the program hasn't met UA's revenue expectations,

In the meantime, the rest of us pay a BE tax for seating certainty, elite perks and better IRROPS service.

Hard to see this working as a long time business model for UA, AA, DL as opposed to Spirit, Ryanair, etc. where all customers expect to be treated like dirt and know they have to pay for seats, etc.
I would go one further, the way BE is being rolled out by United makes United just like Spirit. Spirit's price is for a crappy product, no seat selection, and a carry on bag costs you $37. If you want a better experience, well you can buy up to a "big front seat" which is an old domestic first class seat, e.g. pricing $32 o/w LAX-SEA. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...t-seat-review/

United's BE product is crappy, you get no seat selection, no elite credit, and (unless you have a credit card or status) a carry on bag costs you $25, but if you do it at the gate it is $50. If you want a better experience (and your elite benefits) well you can buy up for $15-40+ o/w into E+ or the E+ lottery (if silver) or into the F lottery if 1K or GS.

Given that United is not matching Spirits pricing in most markets, but instead matching its BE to OALs (AS/VX, B6, DL, AA, WN's) regular Y, perhaps the better deal is to just skip UAdbaULLC and just buy up to a big front seat on Spirit.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Given that United is not matching Spirits pricing in most markets, but instead matching its BE to OALs (AS/VX, B6, DL, AA, WN's) regular Y, perhaps the better deal is to just skip UAdbaULLC and just buy up to a big front seat on Spirit.
United is matching Spirit's pricing (within a few dollars) on like-timed flights in most markets. No network carrier regularly matches ULCC pricing unless flights are similarly timed.

Part of the network carriers' value proposition is better flight schedules. Even with BE fares, you don't have to pay to check-in, or to get a snack and beverages on a flight.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For UA, it is simply burning off inventory which most pax don't want, e.g. E- middles. If UA can make the marginal cost of the fuel and a cup of soda, it can sell BE for pretty much anything.

Even for business travelers who are stuck in BE, UA at least has IRROPS handling and a network, which NK doesn't.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
In this case. Basic is much more expensive than lowest available
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Even for business travelers who are stuck in BE, UA at least has IRROPS handling and a network, which NK doesn't.
The network is less relevant in BE IRROPS if you're locked into your routing and have to take whatever the autorebook computer spits out, as a post above claimed.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For UA, it is simply burning off inventory which most pax don't want, e.g. E- middles. If UA can make the marginal cost of the fuel and a cup of soda, it can sell BE for pretty much anything.
That would be a good argument if load factors were not consistently over 80%.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The network is less relevant in BE IRROPS if you're locked into your routing and have to take whatever the autorebook computer spits out, as a post above claimed.
Yeah, claims from posters now determine fare rules and policies.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Yeah, claims from posters now determine fare rules and policies.
That's why I included the disclaimers.
Can you show any published rules or policies explicitly to the contrary?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:05 pm

That's why I included the disclaimers.
Can you show any published rules or policies explicitly to the contrary?
I'm not going to post the fare rules here. Anyone is free to look them up.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
even still, in most markets, you'll probably do better on UAs network than NKs.

I can tell you from friends experience on NK. We met in PHX, they came in from LA on NK. This was before BE, but the legacy pricing was the same, but somehow they still bought Spirit. Their evening flight got canceled on the return, I don't think they could get rebooked the next night, and even if, they needed to be back in LA that morning. So they rented a car and drove at their own expense. My understanding is NK refused to offer a refund, only credit for a future flight, which I'm pretty sure they didn't use, as I'm pretty certain this is the last time they used Spirit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.