Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While there may be an occasional spot price approaching 40% (could not find any - but may be one of the fare filing errors) but they are anomalous and not representative for the majority of the offerings.

Spot checking a handful of dates a month out (and dates in Oct, Nove also) I see mostly $49 vs $57 (for non-stops - some meaningless 1-stops are higher)
Don't see BE offered for SFO-LAX closer than 14 days
Hmmm, maybe UA really is softening the increase. It is around a $15 difference RT for most day now, very different from the $40 RT I saw a few weeks ago when buying a ticket on this very route. I'll have to keep watching this to see how it fluctuates.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Search: SFO-SEA for 12/22/17 departure

Date of Search: 08/19/17

Delta Between BE and Lowest Economy (T): -$113

Additional Comment: Purchase F (P) for $16 more than BE

David
... This really shouldn't be that hard. Honestly, all they should have to do is to update their fare-by-rule logic to publish the new -BN/-BR fares for each -EN/-ER fare they write. It boggles my mind that they could be struggling this badly with such a simple task.

I picked an arbitrary return date of 12/27 and got the same behavior you did. I was able to get a regular economy roundtrip using TAA2AQEN in each direction for $240.40 total; choosing BE bumps it up to a Q-BR fare for $466.40.

I had to add the return date because the fare table for SFO-SEA is completely messed up. They've pulled all of the one-way BE fares, but the round-trip BE fares are written using a one-way template ("fares governed by this rule can be used to create one-way/round-trip journeys"). And, they've put contradictory combination requirements that make it impossible to use any of the less expensive BE fares to create an SFO-SEA roundtrip; that's why it's choosing the Q fare.

However, if you really, really want to fly BE, you can book SFO-SEA / PSC-SFO. You won't save any money, because the BE T fare is exactly the same as the regular T fare, but you will get to enjoy all of the limitations of BE, and you'll get to brave Snoqualmie or White Pass in December! Don't forget to carry tire chains...
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
The fare difference was over $ 400.00 each way on the RT, but more important the GPU was waitlisted only on both legs. Booking ex LAX cleared upon booking. Same on the return, NRT-LAX upon booking, waitlisted NRT-LAX-PHX.
Just as a side note, GPU clearing for NRT-LAX but not NRT-LAX-PHX is a symptom of married segment logic. (i.e. availability you're seeing is NRT-PHX not NRT-LAX and LAX-NRT). In the future, if you did want to book the through fare [I realize in this case there's also the fare difference that disincentives the booking] you could book, waitlist the GPU, then call united Reservations and mention that you see R inventory available for NRT-LAX and ask if they can clear the GPU. They have to split/divorce the segments and then can clear NRT-LAX while leaving LAX-PHX waitlisted.

I did this for MEL-LAX-CLE... MEL-LAX was at like R7 or something crazy but LAX-CLE and MEL-LAX-CLE were R0. Called, the agent apologized for "only" being able to clear MEL-LAX and got me set. In the end LAX-CLE didn't clear (I died at #1 and #2 on the UG list) but I'd much rather be up front on the 15 hour flight than the 4.5 hour one.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
but you will get to enjoy all of the limitations of BE, and you'll get to brave Snoqualmie or White Pass in December
And get to ride the fabulous CRJ! A plane where advance seat assignments don't matter, because they're all awful.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
And get to ride the fabulous CRJ! A plane where advance seat assignments don't matter, because they're all awful.
I used to SEA to PSC pretty frequently about 10 years ago. It was on Horizon Air and I believe the Bombadier Q200. The best part is the last row had a seat that was in the aisle, sort of like at the back of the bus. Great leg room, and they had just enough time to get you some Portland Brews.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I think the lav has the most legroom
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Just as a side note, GPU clearing for NRT-LAX but not NRT-LAX-PHX is a symptom of married segment logic. (i.e. availability you're seeing is NRT-PHX not NRT-LAX and LAX-NRT). In the future, if you did want to book the through fare [I realize in this case there's also the fare difference that disincentives the booking] you could book, waitlist the GPU, then call united Reservations and mention that you see R inventory available for NRT-LAX and ask if they can clear the GPU. They have to split/divorce the segments and then can clear NRT-LAX while leaving LAX-PHX waitlisted.
It's just a display issue, not a married segment. R defaults to the lowest number on a multi-segment itinerary. Well known glitch.

If you apply the GPU online, LAX-NRT will clear, PHX-LAX will waitlist. There is no need to have segments separated.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's just a display issue, not a married segment. R defaults to the lowest number on a multi-segment itinerary. Well known glitch.

If you apply the GPU online, LAX-NRT will clear, PHX-LAX will waitlist. There is no need to have segments separated.
That was most certainly not what happened in the case I described
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

To prevent us from going OT, there is more on this issue in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...h-flights.html
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:26 am

You could try using an OTA, such as Expedia or Orbitz. That often allows you to get around point of sale restrictions.
Well, we found an alternative. Use the the UA website and just book as a guest. When the transaction has been completed, call and have them insert the MP#. They did this because they wanted the get the 5 times credit on the AMEX Platinum card ( Expedia wouldn't count ). It worked.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA/1k
Question Basic Economy "priority inversion"

Recently, I've noticed that on full flights, people on BE tickets have been sitting in economy plus seats, while people on regular economy tickets are stuck in the back.

My guess is that this is a kind of priority inversion; essentially, they hold the E+ seats for paying customers and/or elites; on some routes, there's insufficient demand to fill these seats. People buying regular economy tickets fill up the rear seats because they're prompted to select seats during checkout. Then at the airport, the gate agents assign the free seats to the BE people w/o seats, and those turn out to be E+ seats.

Have others seen this also? If I weren't elite, I would be increasingly tempted to buy BE tickets on full flights and see if I could get lucky…
Old Aug 20, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
There's a whole thread on this but your observations seem to be common practice. No need to purchase BE in order to join the E+ lottery, all you have to do is not select a seat on a regular economy res and you might end up with a nice seat in E+ or a middle in the last row of E-.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vijayp
Recently, I've noticed that on full flights, people on BE tickets have been sitting in economy plus seats, while people on regular economy tickets are stuck in the back.

My guess is that this is a kind of priority inversion; essentially, they hold the E+ seats for paying customers and/or elites; on some routes, there's insufficient demand to fill these seats. People buying regular economy tickets fill up the rear seats because they're prompted to select seats during checkout. Then at the airport, the gate agents assign the free seats to the BE people w/o seats, and those turn out to be E+ seats.

Have others seen this also? If I weren't elite, I would be increasingly tempted to buy BE tickets on full flights and see if I could get lucky…
This is not new, last minute economy buyers or those without assigned seats have been angling for E+ bumps since the beginning of E+
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ll-happen.html

The difference now, with BE, there are more "unassigned seat" travelers. There are reports UA is blocking seats in E- to accommodate the BE folks and some reports of UA proactively bumping non-BE travelers at check-in to E+

As mentioned in the first thread -- waiting for the E+ bump could lead to a nice E- middle seat.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vijayp

Exactly what I have argued is the wrong thing to do since those who get E+ after buying BE are now under the impression that, hey, i can get a cheapest fare, and hey, probably a better seat, too. And there are solutions available using either using primarily technology, but also using agents. Using agents takes more time though than just bumping those without seats - mostly BE pax now, into E+. Wasn't there also a single report of someone on BE getting upgraded to F?

On the other hand, there have been reports of people (non-BE) getting proactive offers to change their seats to E+ at check in...likely to free up E- seats for those in BE. This is the kind of thing that should be happening, IMO. Perhaps its in the testing phase on limited flights, and will be rolled out more broadly (the sooner, the better). So it looks like they are looking to fix this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On the other hand, there have been reports of people (non-BE) getting proactive offers to change their seats to E+ at check in...likely to free up E- seats for those in BE. This is the kind of thing that should be happening, IMO. Perhaps its in the testing phase on limited flights, and will be rolled out more broadly (the sooner, the better). So it looks like they are looking to fix this.
Free or paid offers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.