Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:05 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Had a mess with Irrops last night and a BE fare. Had one agent pretty much tell me I was SOL and stuck with whatever UA wanted to do with me because I was on a BE fare. Told me not to buy a BE fare again. Should have expected nothing less from UA...
You don't say what the difference between BE and non BE fare was, and while I feel for you, sounds to me like agent played it by UA's BE rules and offered (good) advice.

Though sounds like this belongs in BE experiences thread.

Last edited by EmailKid; Aug 3, 2017 at 8:37 am Reason: experiences, not discussion, though link was correct
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by zeer0
Can't believe I did it, but just booked a BE ticket on a 1 hour flight as a non-UA *G. I just couldn't bring myself to pay a $40 upcharge on a $110 ticket, especially since I'm flying with a companion.
So I guess it's fair to say that the current normal range of the OW upfare differential from BE to regular economy is from $5 to $40 perhaps $45 (where not limited by high economy fare class - I forget what the limiting fare class is). However apparently outliers (mistakes?) are not uncommon.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Told me not to buy a BE fare again.
UA's experiment with these awful fares would fail if customers did not buy them.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA's experiment with these awful fares would fail if customers did not buy them.
The real failure would be if customers booked away from UA.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
The real failure would be if customers booked away from UA.
Kirby has already acknowledged that's happening, which led to UA tinkering with the fare structure.

Nor do I have much sympathy for those who buy these to save $20 then complain about the very predictable consequences.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
So I guess it's fair to say that the current normal range of the OW upfare differential from BE to regular economy is from $5 to $40 perhaps $45 (where not limited by high economy fare class - I forget what the limiting fare class is). However apparently outliers (mistakes?) are not uncommon.
This was RT, so a $20 upcharge each way. Which I still think is ridiculous considering that BE is $55 each way.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Got to witness what happened to a family who purchased BE fares this week. They boarded the flight and stood in the forward galley to ask the flight attendants for help as they didn't want the three year old to have to sit by himself. Lucky for them that at least two of their assigned seats were in E+ and one of those was a non-middle.

The flight attendants diligently went back into the economy cabin and shuffled things around so one adult could sit with the three year old and came back and informed the family. At that point, the approximately seven year old said "wait, I have to sit by myself?"

This whole thing is really a mess. For this family, I could see the economics of having to pay an extra $80 each way for the privilege of sitting together wasn't worth it, and they managed to get a partial solution for free (perhaps got a bit lucky). For United, it just creates the opportunity for more dissatisfied customers, both the family split apart as well as other customers asked/forced to re-arrange to accommodate.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by bmr12
This whole thing is really a mess. For this family, I could see the economics of having to pay an extra $80 each way for the privilege of sitting together wasn't worth it, and they managed to get a partial solution for free (perhaps got a bit lucky). For United, it just creates the opportunity for more dissatisfied customers, both the family split apart as well as other customers asked/forced to re-arrange to accommodate.
Yup; seen this a handful of times too.
UA should set-up a notifier when you are purchasing more than 1 ticket at a time where the person must acknowledge that the group will not be accommodated together is selecting BE.

Further, if the person selects that one of the traveling members is identified in the booking process, it doesn't sell them BE.

The liability of asking a child to sit alone is too great in my opinion.

And isn't the intent here to get people to upfare to a non-BE ticket? This seems like a win-win.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by belynch
Further, if the person selects that one of the traveling members is identified in the booking process, it doesn't sell them BE.
The social media backlash against this would be swift and intense. "United discriminates against families!" "United wanted to charge my family of four $160 extra to sit together!"

Perhaps this will be the issue that finally gets UA to throw in the towel on BE, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by zeer0
This was RT, so a $20 upcharge each way. Which I still think is ridiculous considering that BE is $55 each way.
OK. further back in this thread one chap mentioned that SAN-EWR was showing $40-$45 so maybe that's an outlier/mistake?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ermintrude
OK. further back in this thread one chap mentioned that SAN-EWR was showing $40-$45 so maybe that's an outlier/mistake?
If you do a search for SAN-EWR, you'll find that the upcharge on the nonstop is $25 each way. If you choose SAN-DEN-EWR, with a connection at DEN that's less than four hours, it's still $25. However, if you connect via SFO instead, the upcharge is $45.

The reason is that SAN-SFO-EWR is not a valid routing on a SAN-EWR fare, so the route prices with a fare break -- SAN-SFO + SFO-EWR. Therefore, the regular economy fare includes two upcharges; SAN-SFO and SFO-EWR. And, since you can't combine BE and regular economy on the same ticket, you don't have the option to select regular economy only on the transcon. If you want a seat assignment on SFO-EWR, you have to pay the regular economy upcharge for SAN-SFO as well.

I'm not certain whether or not this is an intended consequence, but it would absolutely have been possible for UA to write the rules in a way where this wouldn't happen. They've chosen not to do so.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Kirby has already acknowledged that's happening, which led to UA tinkering with the fare structure.

Nor do I have much sympathy for those who buy these to save $20 then complain about the very predictable consequences.
Has he attributed the customer loss to BE though? It's not like there aren't other options available at $5-25 more per ticket at UA. I can certainly see some booking WN perhaps, but really enough that they can measure it?

I completely agree with the complaining part.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The social media backlash against this would be swift and intense. "United discriminates against families!" "United wanted to charge my family of four $160 extra to sit together!"
You could start that social media backlash now if you wanted, because that's exactly what they're doing, among other ridiculous things with this fare. It's all a matter of your perspective. However, I'd probably counter that point with, "Really? How much did you pay to check your carry-on? Perhaps the price is actually the same to sit together."

The whole concept + execution is still just so odd to me. It doesn't even work as a marketing gimmick if a buyer spends even 5 minutes thinking about it...other than some of those reported fare differences of $50-75 I guess.

When I think way back to my senior level business classes in college, this whole marketing ploy would make an interesting business case. Or perhaps a psychology case study.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

Perhaps this will be the issue that finally gets UA to throw in the towel on BE, but I'm not holding my breath.
Southwest already has the same policy (buy EBCI or you will board later and take whatever open seats remain) but doesn't seem to have encountered a backlash.

Of course it would be best to have full disclosure in both cases including an affirmative acknowledgement i.e. a popup box that requires passenger to confirm "I understand that I am purchasing a fare that will not provide advance seating assignments and I confirm that all passengers are over the age of 18." But of course that would defeat the purpose as some would cancel out and book another airline.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
You could start that social media backlash now if you wanted, because that's exactly what they're doing, among other ridiculous things with this fare. It's all a matter of your perspective. However, I'd probably counter that point with, "Really? How much did you pay to check your carry-on? Perhaps the price is actually the same to sit together."
The current system obfuscates that fact enough that people are getting to the gate -- and, in the case of this anecdote, on the plane -- before they realize what they've signed up for. Offering a seemingly low price and then refusing to sell it to a family would be much more obvious, and therefore more likely to generate backlash.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The family sitting issue will not be a long term issue. Last June 2016 Congress
"directs the transportation secretary to establish a policy to allow children under age 13 “to be seated in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13” at no additional cost. There is an exception for when such a seat assignment would require an upgrade to another cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch, for which additional fees generally are required.
Thought it was to be done by July 2017 but have not heard an update.
DOT Rule on Family Seating (no recent posts)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.