Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I realize this will seem terribly obvious and boring -- and un-scandalous -- to a lot of FTers. After all, the airline is simply taking advantage of its market power to maximize profit.

But I find something striking about being able to so clearly and undeniably prove the lie of the airlines' claim that their race to the bottom is simply about giving passengers "choices" or "what they want." Yes, passengers like low fares. But none of them asked to get far less tomorrow than what they'd get for the same price today.
Let's see if we can draft the e-mail from the CEO

Subject: Actions Speak Louder than Words.

Dear [your name],
Each flight you take with us represents an important promise we make to you, our customer. It's not simply that we make sure you reach your destination safely and on time, but also that you will be treated with the highest level of service and the deepest sense of dignity and respect.

Earlier this month, we broke that trust when we removed the lowest-priced tickets from markets one by one and replaced them with "basic economy" fares which provide a worse experience for the same price. We can never say we are sorry enough for what occurred, but we also know meaningful actions will speak louder than words.

For the past several weeks, we have been urgently working to answer two questions: How did this happen, and how can we do our best to ensure this never happens again?

It happened because our corporate policies were placed ahead of our shared values. Our procedures got in the way of our employees doing what they know is right.

Fixing that problem starts now with changing how we fly, serve and respect our customers. This is a turning point for all of us here at United – and as CEO, it's my responsibility to make sure that we learn from this experience and redouble our efforts to put our customers at the center of everything we do.

That’s why we announced that when we publish basic economy fares, we will lower the price.

We also know that despite our best efforts, when things don’t go the way they should, we need to be there for you to make things right. There are several new ways we’re going to do just that.

We will provide refunds to customers who bought a basic-economy fare that was priced the same as the lowest published economy fare with a new "no-questions-asked" $15 refund. You can learn more about these commitments and many other changes at hub.united.com.

While these actions are important, I have found myself reflecting more broadly on the role we play and the responsibilities we have to you and the communities we serve.

I believe we must go further in redefining what United's corporate citizenship looks like in our society. If our chief good as a company is only getting you to and from your destination, that would show a lack of moral imagination on our part. You can and ought to expect more from us, and we intend to live up to those higher expectations in the way we embody social responsibility and civic leadership everywhere we operate. I hope you will see that pledge express itself in our actions going forward, of which these initial, though important, changes are merely a first step.

Our goal should be nothing less than to make you truly proud to say, "I fly United."

Ultimately, the measure of our success is your satisfaction and the past several weeks have moved us to go further than ever before in elevating your experience with us. I know our 87,000 employees have taken this message to heart, and they are as energized as ever to fulfill our promise to serve you better with each flight and earn the trust you’ve given us.

We are working harder than ever for the privilege to serve you and I know we will be stronger, better and the customer-focused airline you expect and deserve.

With Great Gratitude,

[name]
CEO
United Airlines
Old May 9, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ermintrude
Not true, it has been demonstrated multiple times on this thread alone.
Simply not conclusive enough.

Originally Posted by spin88
So I am gold on UA, basically any trip I want to take (e.g. I've looked in the last week at SFO-SEA-SFO x2, and SFO-ORD, and SFO-LAX) united wanted another approx $15 each way to use my Gold Status. Delta will just sell me a regular Y for the same price.
I understand. Still I am not convinced.

There is no baseline on the airfares (before/after BE). So I agree that while you can claim there is a $15 surcharge for elite benefit relatively, there is no absolute evidence showing that $15 has been imposed in addition because of BE.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
There is no baseline on the airfares (before/after BE). So I agree that while you can claim there is a $15 surcharge for elite benefit relatively, there is no absolute evidence showing that $15 has been imposed in addition because of BE.
There absolutely are several examples in the thread. It seems to vary by market, but is a fare increase in most cases. Historical fare information is available via services like ExpertFlyer if you'd like to see for yourself; just check before and after the day that the BE fares were filed.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Simply not conclusive enough.

I understand. Still I am not convinced.

Examples or not, I'm not sure I understand why you're arguing this point. UA has publicly stated that they're staking a large portion of revenue growth on the cost of BE fares. It's not like planes are empty today and they need to lure more passengers at lower rates. It's quite clear they intended this as a fare increase.

We all understand you can't prove a fare increase by looking at an airline's web site. You can only provide anecdotal evidence that supports UA's public statements. This is a fare increase, period.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There are many examples here of a market receiving BE fares equating to a one-for-one replacement of existing fares with (a) BE fares equal to old fares, and (b) new non-BE fares at a premium to the old fares.

In some markets BE has been a discount instead, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Also, for expensive fares, UA is consistently matching its direct competition N-for-Y (or equivalently pricing higher for the same product).

Now, a $15 price move is not much in the grand scheme of things. But a consistent $15 difference between UA and OAL on a head-to-head route, that could be significant. But I have to agree with jsloan - either AA/DL will match UA's BE offering or I think UA will eventually be forced to retreat. They already backed off on refundable fares.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
We all understand you can't prove a fare increase by looking at an airline's web site. You can only provide anecdotal evidence that supports UA's public statements. This is a fare increase, period.
It is difficult, perhaps even absurd, to try and equate a fare increase with the biggest takeaway of elite benefits.

We must remember that the market for airfares is transparent and dynamic. If customers are not willing to pay more to fly on United, then the fare increase will not stick. Since most of the higher fares being discussed are for SFO-originating itineraries, I think it is safe to say the fares may stick around. If you look at itineraries originating out of cities where United does not have a strong market position, you'll see the E fares are lower than the dominant airlines.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by fly18725
It is difficult, perhaps even absurd, to try and equate a fare increase with the biggest takeaway of elite benefits.

We must remember that the market for airfares is transparent and dynamic. If customers are not willing to pay more to fly on United, then the fare increase will not stick. Since most of the higher fares being discussed are for SFO-originating itineraries, I think it is safe to say the fares may stick around. If you look at itineraries originating out of cities where United does not have a strong market position, you'll see the E fares are lower than the dominant airlines.
Between SFO-DFW, a route that I've flow over 30 times in the past 1.5 years, the fares have gone up compared to AA. Before BE/this week, AA and UA are always the same price through Concur, unless a flight is selling out. Now, UA is significantly more expensive, as they are matching their BE fare to the regular AA fare, and Concur is setup to not show the BE fare.

My corporate policy is to book the lowest non-BE fare, regardless of airline. UA is no longer a realistic choice for me - which sucks.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Between SFO-DFW, a route that I've flow over 30 times in the past 1.5 years, the fares have gone up compared to AA. Before BE/this week, AA and UA are always the same price through Concur, unless a flight is selling out. Now, UA is significantly more expensive, as they are matching their BE fare to the regular AA fare, and Concur is setup to not show the BE fare.

My corporate policy is to book the lowest non-BE fare, regardless of airline. UA is no longer a realistic choice for me - which sucks.
I would expect United to be more expensive on most SFO-originating routes. If I look at a DFW-SFO round trip, DL is the low fare carrier with BE.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
In the hands of third party booking agencies, though, Basic Economy is increasingly presented as the New Normal. I was searching ORD-YVR last night on Kayak, and the price-driven returns were BE-centric, with regular (E-) coach seats positioned as an upgrade for X dollars more, and E+ as a next-tier upgrade for 2X dollars more.
Yes, BE shows up on my corporate travel website too -- and books it against my will, requiring a phone call, a voided ticket, and a $20 fee for booking via phone with a corporate travel agent to get a fare that provides me with 1K benefits.

Originally Posted by JBord
If that's all this is, I wonder why they bother? My anecdotal evidence of 40+ business trips per year suggests that fares have been inching up for years, commensurate with market conditions, without this Basic Economy nonsense.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
It will credit as N class. The "first letter of the fare basis" is more convention than anything else. It's the fare class that's provided to the program you're trying to credit.

I would imagine most, if not all, *A programs have been updated to disallow PQM on N fares; no idea about RDM, but I'd expect little.
Actually lots of programs still give PQMs for N fares (at 50%).

http://www.wheretocredit.com/united-airlines/n
Old May 9, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Actually lots of programs still give PQMs for N fares (at 50%).

http://www.wheretocredit.com/united-airlines/n
That chart is out of date, and also refers to RDMs, not PDMs. It does seem that some carriers still provide PQMs on N fares, but others are removing it. In a quick survey, both AC and TG disallow PQM earnings on N fares, whereas OZ, A3, and AV allow it (at 50%); AI doesn't seem to have a PQM concept but gives 50% RDMs. SQ, which gives 100% distance-based miles down to G, does not credit N.

Expect the list of crediting carriers to shrink as UA is able to renegotiate their agreements, but definitely feel free to take advantage in the interim.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I agree. They've been diluting elite benefits over several years, less so recently. There have been fare increases off and on for years and years. Where I think people get confused here is that it's disguised as a new product, and that causes people to look at it differently than a straight fare increase...which, setting the increase aside, is exactly what UA wanted for it's non-elite customers.

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
If that's all this is, I wonder why they bother? My anecdotal evidence of 40+ business trips per year suggests that fares have been inching up for years, commensurate with market conditions, without this Basic Economy nonsense.
Because it's a fare increase that's disguised as a new product, and it makes it more difficult for the average customer to discern. Over your 40+ years, I'm sure you've seen different versions of either charging more or taking something away. A simple example is when airlines started charging for bags, but didn't implement a direct fare decrease. If this were a base fare increase (instead of $0 with a new N fare), it would give DL, AA, and WN an advantage if they decided not to match it. This way they don't have to match, and UA still shows up in price searches.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I would expect United to be more expensive on most SFO-originating routes. If I look at a DFW-SFO round trip, DL is the low fare carrier with BE.
I should have stated non-stops only. DL doesn't apply - only UA and AA.
Old May 9, 2017, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I should have stated non-stops only. DL doesn't apply - only UA and AA.
A quick search shows AA is cheaper for SFO originating round trips and United is cheaper for DFW round trips.

The point: trying to draw broad conclusions about pricing strategy based on searches from one city is intellectual dishonest.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:20 pm

A quick search shows AA is cheaper for SFO originating round trips and United is cheaper for DFW round trips.

The point: trying to draw broad conclusions about pricing strategy based on searches from one city is intellectual dishonest.
Intellectually dishonest? You can do better. Here are the facts based on my very quick
search on Google Flights :

UA is more expensive out of DFW to SFO :

¥73,746–¥74,383
round trip

10 similar flights
American
from 3h 45m
DFW-SFO
Nonstop
6AM
9AM
12PM
3PM
6PM
9PM
12AM
¥81,970
round trip

3 similar flights
United · Skywest DBA United Express
from 3h 57m
DFW-SFO
Nonstop
6AM
9AM
12PM
3PM
6PM
9PM
12AM

And UA is more expensive SFO-DFW :

¥74,383
round trip

10 similar flights
American
from 3h 23m
SFO-DFW
Nonstop
12AM
3AM
6AM
9AM
12PM
3PM
6PM
9PM

¥81,970
round trip

2 similar flights
from 3h 23m
SFO-DFW
Nonstop
12AM
3AM
6AM
9AM
12PM
3PM
6PM
9PM
¥99,235–¥101,590
round trip

2 similar flights
from 3h 33m
SFO-DFW
Nonstop
12AM
3AM
6AM
9AM
12PM
3PM
6PM
9PM

'nuff said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.