Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
I think, from the beginning, it had a great chance of success. The key though, was whether UA could manage the PR. To your point, we aren't seeing stories of bad experiences, arguments with GA's, etc. So, to this point, UA has managed it. If buyers are aware, and understand the limitations, this is merely a minor price increase. And it's logical that the average buyer, especially those buying BE, wouldn't have enough experience or evidence to notice the price increase.

To me, the next few months will be more telling as the fares role out more broadly AND more people take the flights. But I don't expect much to change. And when there is bad press about someone being denied a carry on or whatever, I think it's easier for the media to decipher and take UA's side then some of the other recent incidents.
Agree it will take a few months to see how this pans out. Unfortunately, as much as I hate this, I suspect it may be successful from a quarterly-results point of view. With competition from LCC's, the market has been segmenting into two groups: highly cost-sensitive customers and captive ones. This fare scheme does seem like it helps them stay on top of that. From a customer experience perspective, it's terrible, but for revenue it may work better than an across-the-board fare increase.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Liquid_G
Seeing this ORD - SAN for a trip i was hoping to take in July.

So 94 dollars to carry on a bag, earn PQM/PQD, and pick a seat.

Similar route on Southwest out of MDW is about the same. Spirit is 119. AA regular fare comes in at 223.

Is this United putting the BE fare on sale or are they trying to match Southwest / Spirit pricing?
Replying to my own post here.... Today the regular Economy fair for this is showing 167. So perhaps this was a sale and the reg economy fair just wasn't updated.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:30 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
I've been trying to work out why BE doesn't annoy me as much as so many other FTers. I think it must be that I started flying in Europe on BA. So I got used to deeply discounted economy tickets getting very few miles or status points*, and having to pay more for refundable tickets to get any meaningful status.

*non refundable economy earns 50% tier points, deeply discounted 25% tier points.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
BE was just introduced on IAD-SFO (wasnt there yesterday). They basically moved the lowest fare (V until yesterday) to N and now V is $23 higher as the regular Economy fare (Jun 8th)
Old May 25, 2017, 8:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hopefully UA will implement a menu option to simply exclude them. Or better yet, they'll realize that in the big picture, these were a horrible mistake.
The app has a button/switch labeled "Show Basic Economy fares". If you search with BE fares turned off, then the fare results shown on the next screen are non-BE fares. After selecting one of these non-BE fares, the next screen will offer a BE fare as a lower cost option, with a description, "Our most restricted fare". The fare you selected is the default selection, with Flexible Economy and First are shown as well.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
BE was just introduced on IAD-SFO (wasnt there yesterday).
Basic Economy now an option on MFR-TUS! That's a really random route.

Damn, being based in MFR I thought I'd avoid this.

Is BE on all routes now?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sure, but (a) the people you're worried about -- elites accidentally booking a BE fare -- would be in BG 1/2 anyway. Some of them would be throwing a fit, wondering why they're not on the upgrade list, or why they can't select their usual exit row seat, and (b) plenty of people notice BG 5 at the next gate while waiting for their flight. :-)

When DL announced these stupid fares, I had hoped that they would be an immediate disaster and they'd be forced to roll back, not just for DL flyers, but for myself. The effect on me from UA matching DL's model or UA using this aggressive model is nearly identical; most of my travel is personal, and I rarely pay more than $0.10 PQD / PQM, so my fares would have gone up either way. (And, DL's BE fares are nearly as bad as UA's, because the thing I care most about is having enough legroom -- not carry-ons or PQMs).

I'm not naïve enough to think that UA will back out of BE entirely until / unless DL abandons it. However, the same is true in reverse -- DL and AA flyers should be hoping that UA's effort fails, because, if it doesn't, you'll be next. (Just like price-based earnings, TODs, bag charges, lack of seat pitch, and everything else).
I think there's a big difference between UA's and DL's approach: UA are selling BE everywhere. Including on competitive routes where prices are matched across all airlines. DL are only selling it on some routes. (I.e. DL aren't selling it on routes where their Y price is permanently matched to Y on other carriers.)
Old May 25, 2017, 9:24 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
vanillabean, let me combine your thread with our forum's consolidated one on UA's Basic Economy features. You'll find a helpful wiki and lots of discussion of the different limits. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Also, the on-board experience thread has yet to explode with stories of angry passengers who didn't know what they were buying, even as the number of BE travelers seems (anecdotally) to be rising.
This is a pretty good sign for UA. With all the non-story stories out there since the Dao incident (couple going to Puerto Rico parking themselves in E+, drunk guy arguing about checked bag fees, military guy being charged for an overweight bag...per policy, etc.), I suspect we would have seen reports, and even video, of even minor altercations resulting, from say, being charged a fee to check a carry-on size bag at the gate. BE fares have been on many routes since May 9 (IIRC), and from April in MSP.

IMO, BE will keep expanding, whether FTers like it or not.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is there any way to exclude these abominations from a fare search on united.com?
Well...you could use the simple option - simply avoid the clearly marked "Basic Economy" column on the left.

The app does actually have a toggle. Perhaps that will be on the website soon?

Originally Posted by ermintrude
I've read that the vast majority of the predicted incremental revenue from BE rolling out is simply the upfaring on Y, which UA really shouldn't include when looking at the financial success of BE.
My guess is they can separate out the bag revenue on carryon size bags that are checked at the gate, based on it being associated with an extra $25 fee (vs. carryon size bags being checked at the counter where it wasn't charged). For the bags checked at the counter, they can probably seperate that out, based on it being connected to an itinerary booked as BE. From there, you can count that revenue in the financial success metrics, and I'd guess that the revenue on BE fares including this ancilliary is at least equal, and most likely probably more, than if the people had just bought a regular fare upfront in the first place. Much like how in many cases, flying a ULCC isn't actually cheaper than flying a legacy, but it appears to be upfront.

Originally Posted by TCD
I've been trying to work out why BE doesn't annoy me as much as so many other FTers. I think it must be that I started flying in Europe on BA. So I got used to deeply discounted economy tickets getting very few miles or status points*, and having to pay more for refundable tickets to get any meaningful status.

*non refundable economy earns 50% tier points, deeply discounted 25% tier points.
Yes, its probably because you're used to it. I've mentioned it several times - the US carriers on not leading on the BE front - they are badly behind carriers just about everywhere else in the world (including next door in Canada - AC introduced Tango fares sometime in the late 90's, IIRC). Like always, they are doing it a bit differently than carriers in other countries, but it is the same direction.

People here aren't used to it yet. Just like folks got used to paying for food on domestic flights, people will get used to this, too. And then something else will come out that they'll have to get used to.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
I think there's a big difference between UA's and DL's approach: UA are selling BE everywhere. Including on competitive routes where prices are matched across all airlines. DL are only selling it on some routes. (I.e. DL aren't selling it on routes where their Y price is permanently matched to Y on other carriers.)
DL has already announced that they're expanding BE domestically to most (all?) routes. They are already offering it on some routes where their low fares match other carriers -- it has nothing to do with ULCCs.

The only meaningful difference between UA and DL is that DL is currently only offering BE on their deepest discount fares, whereas UA is offering it on nearly every fare.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The only meaningful difference between UA and DL is that DL is currently only offering BE on their deepest discount fares, whereas UA is offering it on nearly every fare.
Which is a really significant difference. And one that's more consistent with the supposed purpose of keeping the legacies in the game with LCCs on the online search engines.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Well...you could use the simple option - simply avoid the clearly marked "Basic Economy" column on the left.
Thanks for your valuable contribution.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
If the other legacy carriers follow UA in this move, I wouldn't be surprised to see ULCC's raise their prices by $20 per leg as well since most ULCC flights are priced well below the UA BE fares.... this move by UA has the potential to drive a price increase for all domestic carriers..... just an opinion, of course, but it makes sense to me.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
If the other legacy carriers follow UA in this move, I wouldn't be surprised to see ULCC's raise their prices by $20 per leg as well since most ULCC flights are priced well below the UA BE fares.... this move by UA has the potential to drive a price increase for all domestic carriers..... just an opinion, of course, but it makes sense to me.
I agree. I kind of suspect the market hasn't quite realized this as a price increase yet. While the other legacy airlines certainly have, the execution of these rates is different. Possible they're just watching to see what happens to UA.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:53 am

The Basic Economy fares also popped up on SFO-IAD. What used to be the cheapest Y fare is now Basic Economy.

Just as we all had expected and known for a while, this is an overall fare increase.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
There are a LOT of differences between what DL has been doing, and what UA is doing.

(1) Delta only offers BE fares where the lowest fare categories are available, and with the exception of a few highly competitive routes where the lowest fares are not cut off at 7/14 days (MSP-ORD is the only example anyone has provided so far) it is never available for close in purchases. As a result, DL elites/business travelers are not likely to see these fares. On UA, you see them on nearly every trip.

The result is that on many routes DL/VS/AS offer a Y which is matched by UA with a BE, and to get a Y on UA is $15+ more each way.

(2) Delta still gives its elites status credit for any BE flights they take, UA does not.

(3) Delta does not restrict carry on bags, and elites board with their normal groups.

So a Delta Elite flyer can buy these fares, still get status, and only gives up seat selection and upgrades.

A UA elite can refuse to pay the upcharge, but then they get a whole lot less than Delta gives (a) no status credit, (b) no bag, and this impacts them on a whole lot more flights.

As I keep saying, United has in effect gone to differential pricing for elites, requiring them to pay more, and requiring this upcharge on nearly all flights (except those with only refundable fares left).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.