Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
In every other case, the market has shown that a large percentage of customers want cheaper, unbundled tickets, even if they come with significant restrictions.
It would probably be more accurate to say that a significant percentage of customers will buy exclusively on up-front cost, and fail to rationally assess unbundled costs or non-price considerations at time of purchase.

This will be proven again and again by the rant threads initiated by pax complaining about various aspects of the BE tickets they voluntarily purchased.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Kacee
This will be proven again and again by the rant threads initiated by pax complaining about various aspects of the BE tickets they voluntarily purchased.
And if we think it's bad here, take a look at UA's Facebook page some time. It's like Gettysburg. Scorched earth.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:58 pm

how does one know if they have purchased a BE fare?

I just bought a G EWR-DEN-LAS and was allowed to select a PE seat and apply a RPU. When I got the email confirm it says I will be getting RDM and PQM and PQD

Thx
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
how does one know if they have purchased a BE fare?
They are not for sale yet so if you have already bought it, it is not BE.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:15 pm

They are not for sale yet so if you have already bought it, it is not BE.
thx very much. for some reason I thought they were starting Jan 1
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
thx very much. for some reason I thought they were starting Jan 1
On sale sometime in Q1 for travel starting sometime in Q2
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The baggage issue is a red herring. BG 5's are already forced to gate check and manage to do it now. If there is no space, there is no space. This is easily dealt with at the gate and people relent pretty quickly when the GA says something like, "Sir, this flight is closing in 3 minutes with or without you onboard, what is your decision?"

The DOT family seating issue is not even close to a problem yet. The statute directs DOT to study and issue a rule "if practicable" and the statute already makes clear that nobody need be bumped from a class of service or paid "better" seat, e.g. E+. Additionally, this is not about seating families together, it is about seating one passenger age 14+ "adjacent" to one passenger age 13-. That could be two middle seats one behind the other.

As to whether it's a good deal, that is a consumer-driven decision. DL has been selling these fares for several years and there is a market for them. AA has followed and now UA. For all the whining here, so long as the disclosures are clear and, at least on DL they could not be more explicit, people who want to save a few bucks ought to be able to even if it isn't much and even if the fares are what used to be the el cheapos for standard Y.

UA has also taken care of its elites, sort of. Elites will still board early and won't have the OH issues. Thus, the only true BE customer is one who both purchases a BE ticket and has no status.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
These "asinine rules," as you put it, lower ticket prices, which leads to more bookings, which leads to more profits.
I don't believe UA has stated this as their strategy, and indications are that it's not. There's no evidence I've seen they are trying to sell more seats, or have enough empty seats in these supposedly limited markets to reach their goal of $1B in additional revenue due to BE fares.

Logically it would seem, unless they add significant capacity, they won't lower fares, or in some cases may lower them slightly but basically require ancillary revenue. We'll never know because the way fares are set isn't transparent to customers, which is perfectly fine.

By the way, your primary theory that lowering ticket prices leads to more profits is only true in a very specific market where supply is significantly higher than demand. If supply is limited, lowering prices may lower profits.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
United should make basic J rather than selling upgrades for TOD. Would it work?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Sorry, if this has been asked before: if buying tickets on non-UA stock but with UA segments, how would i know if it were in basic economy or not, or are basic economy tickets only being sold on 016 stock?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
Will saver economy tickets be considered BE?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Halo117
Will saver economy tickets be considered BE?
There has been no news to that effect that I have seen. My assumption would be no. However, I also wouldn't be surprised to see them introduce a "basic award" tier which might be 5k-10k miles cheaper, depending on destination, than saver awards.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by a9504477
Sorry, if this has been asked before: if buying tickets on non-UA stock but with UA segments, how would i know if it were in basic economy or not, or are basic economy tickets only being sold on 016 stock?
It's not known until tickets go on sale, but using DL/ST as a model, N fares will only be allowed plated on 016 stock.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I probably wouldn't be buying BE fares but if i bought tickets for my family with 3 children ages 7 and under, would they put us in seats together?

From wiki: No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions

and this is brutal: Tickets will earn RDMs but no PQMs, PQSs, PQDs, does not count for minimum 4 segment , no lifetime miles

I'm buying the ticket from UA...it's not like i'm buying a bulk or opaque fare
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
...a significant percentage of customers will buy exclusively on up-front cost, and fail to rationally assess unbundled costs or non-price considerations at time of purchase.
That is how Frontier and Spirit stay in business, and they do so despite crazy high complaint rates and rotten brand reputation. Is that what UA wants for itself?

You can argue that all those complainers didn't read the fine print, but that's not the point. A bad rep is a bad rep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.