Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Should there be more specific fare classes for Basic Economy?

This was just a random thought I had...

So BE books into (N) fare class. But from what we can see now, BE is only -$15 from the lowest published economy fare. So basically if I was on a flight that was at a $150 (W) fare, and $135 (N) fare, I am really buying a (NW) or (WN) fare.

This is similar to upgrades. If I buy an L fare and am upgraded, I credit as a (ZL) class.

Not sure if this would have any benefit... this is probably just a stupid question but wanted to see what other people thought.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I don't understand what you're getting at. You either buy a W or an N. What's adding WN and NW supposed to help and what do they mean?
Old May 28, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No. The ZL thing is some stupid legacy system nonsense.
Old May 28, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think what you're getting at is that it's silly to peg BE (N fares) to the lowest currently available fare if that fare is relatively expensive. However, in UA's perspective W is still a 'cheap' fare. In my mind it's not, but that's how things are.

To the broader point, though, UA seems to agree—and to have recognised the error—as they were originally filing BE all the way up to 'YN' fares, and they've stopped doing that.

edit: Also, let me just take one more chance to state how disingenuous I feel this whole BE nonsense is. It's simply a convoluted fare increase.

Last edited by fumje; May 28, 2017 at 12:11 pm Reason: typo
Old May 28, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
It's simply a convoluted fare increase.
Unfortunately that is what it has become. I was looking into a flight right as BE was introduced, and the fare I was looking at went up $15! How fun!
Old May 29, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
Am low Silver on UA but still book E so I can choose my seat. On my last two bookings I've gotten the dreaded 'all complimentary seats have been taken' message. Literally the only benefit difference for me between BE and E is the seat choice. Both times have skipped to another carrier and saved the ~$25/difference on the flight AND gotten to select my seat. Their prices don't seem cheaper than competition, as others have said, you just get less on United for the same price. I'd love to say others won't follow but when these companies are run by institutional shareholders.. I'm sure it will catch-on - it means more money. I'm sure most of you read the article in the NYTs this weekend on the topic...
Old May 29, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Alright, I was trying to give UA the benefit of the doubt on these BE fares (and was hoping it did not infiltrate my travel routes), but it is now going to affect me

I fly XXX-IAH-WAS almost exclusively and had not seen any BE fares on that route until today. I was searching far out into the fall & could routinely see K fares for $137 OW on my travel dates. Now they are showing up as $137 BE fares and the up-charge to get them out of BE is $20 (a 15% fare increase to make them them MP eligible).

So basically UA has found a way to charge MP members for their benefits. It is no longer a rebate or loyalty program, you are paying a premium to buy your benefits. If I want to earn the 1700 PQM for that flight and the roughly 1000 RDM, I need to fork over $20. If you figure that it will take me roughly 12 flights to earn the RDM for one domestic saver award ticket. That saver award ticket will now cost me $200 (10 x $20) instead of being "rebate" for my loyalty.

At 4 flghts per month x 12 months x $20 up-charge = $960 more per year for me to stay loyal to UA. Not to mention, I am already paying $95 to Chase to "buy" my Platinum status since I would never make the PQD requirement.

I would almost have preferred a modest fare increase across the board than seeing these BE fares. It is no longer about matching LCC's on certain routes, It appears to be an across the board fare increase if it is infiltrating so many outstation routes. I don't know that it's going to be better with any other airline, but I am going to have to do my homework and reassess my travel plans for 2018.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Wow, just looked at several possible itineraries and BE came up as the first choice, lowest price (via Google Flights and on UA). I'm not seeing any discount's from the Normal S,T,L,K Fares that I normally purchase.. just seems like an added +$50-$65RT for me just to use my Platinum Benefits (I do like the SDC and use it often) Perhaps a waiver would be nice for Platinum's and Higher..
Old May 29, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Only BE

One SAN-DTW only has BE available. No Y or F.

​​​​
Old May 29, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I'm seeing BE fares on a route that appears to have no LCC competition. IAH-BNA in August. The differential is "only" $15 but still
Old May 29, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylane
One SAN-DTW only has BE available. No Y or F.​
Interesting. I see the same thing when I look at that as the outbound leg of a RT, but it works fine when selected as a one-way.

What's happening is this: Because the stop in Chicago is longer than four hours, and there are other valid ORD-DTW flights before UA555, ORD counts as a stopover. Most UA domestic fares disallow stopovers, so what you end up with is two fares ticketed end-on-end. (If you search for this as a one-way, you'll see that it's an H and a U, with a fare break at ORD).

When you add on the leg back to SAN, you've now created a circle trip, and UA has been adding a bunch of restrictions into their tickets to prevent circle trips, or, at least, to make them more expensive. (Circle trips are more commonly purchased by business travelers than leisure travelers). It appears that those restrictions are overwritten when the BE fare is constructed, making it possible to book this, but only in N.

This is likely an unintentional byproduct of an error in the rule that UA is using to create BE fares from non-BE fares. If UA notices it, they'll probably "fix" it by making this flight ineligible for BE also.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck

I'm seeing BE fares on a route that appears to have no LCC competition. IAH-BNA in August. The differential is "only" $15 but still
The LCC thing was a smokescreen. Neither DL nor UA is limiting their BE fares to routes where they face LCC competition. If all UA wanted to do was to offer these in response to (U)LCC fares, there were many easier ways to do it than what they did. Their intent all along was to raise fares.

Last edited by jsloan; May 29, 2017 at 7:43 pm Reason: Add response to new message
Old May 29, 2017, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
The LCC thing was a smokescreen. Neither DL nor UA is limiting their BE fares to routes where they face LCC competition. If all UA wanted to do was to offer these in response to (U)LCC fares, there were many easier ways to do it than what they did. Their intent all along was to raise fares.
I agree with this. I suspect there is also an intent is to compete unfairly with AS, VX, and B6, by appearing to beat or match their fares on routes where they compete head to head, while offering an objectively lesser product.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have corporate travel coming up to MCO. Going to be interesting to see if the corporate engine shows the BE fares or not. I think I can swing the argument that the fare differential is on par with the bag fee roundtrip if it comes to that...
Old May 29, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Basic Economy now an option on MFR-TUS! That's a really random route.

Damn, being based in MFR I thought I'd avoid this.

Is BE on all routes now?
That's what I'm seeing, my regional airport GJT or MTJ are all BE fares even though completion is not there, no low cost carriers to get to DEN. Real mind game. Not happy at all.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
What's happening is this: Because the stop in Chicago is longer than four hours, and there are other valid ORD-DTW flights before UA555, ORD counts as a stopover. Most UA domestic fares disallow stopovers, so what you end up with is two fares ticketed end-on-end. (If you search for this as a one-way, you'll see that it's an H and a U, with a fare break at ORD).

When you add on the leg back to SAN, you've now created a circle trip, and UA has been adding a bunch of restrictions into their tickets to prevent circle trips, or, at least, to make them more expensive. (Circle trips are more commonly purchased by business travelers than leisure travelers). It appears that those restrictions are overwritten when the BE fare is constructed, making it possible to book this, but only in N.
Intriguing, but not quite. I can price e.g.

SAN UA CHI 143.26TAA7AWEN UA DTT 169.30HAA7AKEN UA X/WAS UA SAN 375.82HEA7AFEN USD 688.38 END ZP SAN ORD DTW IAD XT 51.62US 16.40ZP 11.20AY 18.00XF SAN4.50 ORD4.50 DTW4.50 IAD4.50

I think .bomb is just wrong here. (also the trivial case of YUA prices)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.