Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
Greetings all, I am based in the ar East and the UK. I have never tied UA BE before. I'll have two companions and I am a * Gold. It says on UA website that the BE's restrictions on carry-on are waived. Does that mean 2 o my companions would get a carry-on and one personal item?
The rules are on UA's website. The passenger requesting the carry-on waiver must be a UA Premier member. From your profile, it does not appear that you have UA status and thus you would be limited to one personal item, as would your companion. It is possible that an agent would let you board with the second piece, but your companion clearly not. Note that if your second piece does need to be checked, UA will assess you not only the bag fee but a $25 penalty. The risk calculation is up to you.

If you have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card.1 Everyone else who is traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge. Payment is by credit card only.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The rules are on UA's website. The passenger requesting the carry-on waiver must be a UA Premier member. From your profile, it does not appear that you have UA status and thus you would be limited to one personal item, as would your companion. It is possible that an agent would let you board with the second piece, but your companion clearly not. Note that if your second piece does need to be checked, UA will assess you not only the bag fee but a $25 penalty. The risk calculation is up to you.

If you have purchased Basic Economy, you will only be allowed one personal item, unless you are a Premier® member or a primary card member using a qualifying MileagePlus credit card.1 Everyone else who is traveling on a Basic Economy ticket and brings a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate will be required to check their bag and pay the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge. Payment is by credit card only.
We've been over this before upthread -- that's not the whole story. This other UA website (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx) says:

Q: What is my carry-on baggage allowance when I buy a Basic Economy ticket?
A: With Basic Economy, you'll be allowed to bring on board one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item that is 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. Mobility aids and other assistive devices are also permitted. You will not be allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you're a MileagePlus Premier member, a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit cardor a Star AllianceTM Gold member.
And also (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...process.aspx):

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Basically, *G gets you Boarding Group 2. Anyone in BG2 is allowed the full normal carry-on plus personal item. Anyone in BG5 is not.

I forget if *G same-PNR companions get BG2, which is OP's original question here (I know Chase cardholders and UA Gold do, not sure about *G).

OP, regardless of answers here you can double-check when you check in online. If your companions' boarding passes say "Boarding Group 2" you are fine. If they say "Boarding Group 5" they will have to check the bag (and cheaper to do that at the counter than waiting till the gate). Yours should say BG2 regardless.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
Basically, *G gets you Boarding Group 2. Anyone in BG2 is allowed the full normal carry-on plus personal item. Anyone in BG5 is not.

I forget if *G same-PNR companions get BG2, which is OP's original question here (I know Chase cardholders and UA Gold do, not sure about *G).
*G companions on the same PNR get BG2 and all other Premier Access benefits.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:57 pm

Funny, non-UA*G is probably the people who should be most inclined to buy BE, as you get the carry on bag waiver, UC access, no BG5 boarding, and you wouldn't have gotten E+ for free automatically anyway. Doubly so if the original fare class would have earned 0 or 10-25% miles only in your FFP.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Funny, non-UA*G is probably the people who should be most inclined to buy BE, as you get the carry on bag waiver, UC access, no BG5 boarding, and you wouldn't have gotten E+ for free automatically anyway. Doubly so if the original fare class would have earned 0 or 10-25% miles only in your FFP.
Exactly how it goes from me. I'm more likely to get E+ when I buy BE anyways and the miles are the same.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zeer0
Exactly how it goes from me. I'm more likely to get E+ when I buy BE anyways and the miles are the same.
Pay less, get more . . . the genius of UA's BE fares just continues to amaze
Old May 27, 2018, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Greetings all, I am based in the ar East and the UK. I have never tied UA BE before. I'll have two companions and I am a * Gold. It says on UA website that the BE's restrictions on carry-on are waived. Does that mean 2 o my companions would get a carry-on and one personal item?
For MileagePlus Explorer Card holders, the luggage restrictions are waived for the member and one companion traveling on the same reservation. I suspect that it is the same for elite frequent fliers.

Take a look a the Basic Economy frequently asked questions.
Old May 28, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: TK Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
For MileagePlus Explorer Card holders, the luggage restrictions are waived for the member and one companion traveling on the same reservation. I suspect that it is the same for elite frequent fliers.

Take a look a the Basic Economy frequently asked questions.
Q: If my MileagePlus credit card qualifies for priority boarding benefits, will those benefits apply on Basic Economy tickets?
A:
Yes, if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits.

I'm aware of it and I am confused with the use of the word "companionS" I'd suppose usually one of my companion would get the perks; however, just not sure when I have two companions traveling with me in same PNRs

Called UA's Hong Kong hotline they weren't sure as well.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Q: If my MileagePlus credit card qualifies for priority boarding benefits, will those benefits apply on Basic Economy tickets?
A:
Yes, if you are a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card at the time of check-in and you provided your MileagePlus number when purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you and travel companions on the same reservation will maintain your boarding priority and be allowed to bring a full-sized carry-on bag on board if space permits.

I'm aware of it and I am confused with the use of the word "companionS" I'd suppose usually one of my companion would get the perks; however, just not sure when I have two companions traveling with me in same PNRs

Called UA's Hong Kong hotline they weren't sure as well.
From the email confirmation of my most recent Basic Economy ticket (the flight was less than two weeks ago):
MileagePlus® Explorer Card member and one companion on the same reservation are each eligible for waiver of the service charge for the first checked bag (within specified size and weight limits). Must be a MileagePlus Explorer Card member at time of check-in, and ticket(s) must have been purchased using the Card in order to qualify. Applies only on United- and United Express-operated flights, and when baggage check-in occurs with United.
Priority boarding: Premier members, companions traveling on the same reservation and primary cardmembers of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card will still receive their priority boarding privileges. Other Basic Economy customers may be in the last boarding group.
Perhaps you are correct, the one companion limitation appears to apply only to the first checked bag fee waiver.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sorry if this is known and already posted, but the United Android app offers purchase of seat assignments for $9 or $12 (not sure why the multiple prices) on BE tickets.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
Sorry if this is known and already posted, but the United Android app offers purchase of seat assignments for $9 or $12 (not sure why the multiple prices) on BE tickets.
The Android app has always been a good source of novel PSS bugs, like the old XN to PN "hack".
Old May 29, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
The Android app has always been a good source of novel PSS bugs, like the old XN to PN "hack".
This did not seem like a bug, but like an intended offer to sell seat assignments to BE ticket-holders. Bought them on both outbound and return flights for two travelers.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
This did not seem like a bug, but like an intended offer to sell seat assignments to BE ticket-holders. Bought them on both outbound and return flights for two travelers.
BE isn't supposed to be able to choose or buy seat assignments.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
BE isn't supposed to be able to choose or buy seat assignments.
Then I don't know. Does United offer any fares that don't come with free seat assignments, but you can buy them for about $10 each?

EDIT: According to the BE FAQ, you may be offered to purchase seat assignments, so this is intended functionality.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx
Old May 29, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh, that must be a change since the original launch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.