Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2018, 7:45 am

Thumbs down

MileagePlus

You are not checked in yet

Why didn't I get a boarding pass?
Travelers who purchase Basic Economy and have indicated that they're not bringing a checked bag need to see a United representative to complete their check-in. Once you arrive at the airport, visit an airport kiosk or check-in counter to verify your onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass. You may complete check-in online if you indicate that you'll have a checked bag.

AAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old May 12, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
MileagePlus

You are not checked in yet

Why didn't I get a boarding pass?
Travelers who purchase Basic Economy and have indicated that they're not bringing a checked bag need to see a United representative to complete their check-in. Once you arrive at the airport, visit an airport kiosk or check-in counter to verify your onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass. You may complete check-in online if you indicate that you'll have a checked bag.

AAAAARRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Not a problem. Just pretend you are checking baggage, print your boarding pass and everything is fine. Do it all the time.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Not a problem. Just pretend you are checking baggage, print your boarding pass and everything is fine. Do it all the time.
not a problem if your elite. If you have to pay for a checked bag, and don’t have one, I’d think selecting that you are checking a bag, then paying for it is actually more of a problem.

of course, even for non elites it’s not really a problem - just show up at the counter, yes, perhaps a few minutes earlier then you might otherwise, take the minute or so to deal with the agent, and go on your way. If this is the worst treatment you get from buying a BE fare, I’d say you’re doing good. Of course, if this check didn’t take place, the posts would be about UA charging an extra $25 to check a rollerboard at the gate for a BE pax.
Old May 13, 2018, 3:00 pm

Has anyone else seen a $500 difference between the BE price and the regular economy price? Is this likely a glitch that will get corrected eventually? Frontier's price is a few dollars above the basic economy price.

This flight is on 6/2.

Old May 13, 2018, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Sariellet
Has anyone else seen a $500 difference between the BE price and the regular economy price? Is this likely a glitch that will get corrected eventually? Frontier's price is a few dollars above the basic economy price.

This flight is on 6/2.

That's the biggest delta I've seen.

It's not an error though. It's (IMO) a flawed business strategy, but it's what UA intended.
Old May 13, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The one-way fare is $66 vs $575. Sample round-trip using same departure and a return 1 week later is $131 vs $308. I guess UA expects only a few (or no) one-way types that are dumb enough to pay $575.
Old May 13, 2018, 5:34 pm

What's weird to my eye is that all the fare classes are wide open. Does UA really not have any one-way (non-BE) IAH-PHL fares with > 14 days advanced purchase filed that book into anything below the M bucket?

AA is offering $253 connecting for $575 nonstop.

Frontier's $70 option lands at 4:00am which is a bit rough.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe

not a problem if your elite. If you have to pay for a checked bag, and don’t have one, I’d think selecting that you are checking a bag, then paying for it is actually more of a problem.

of course, even for non elites it’s not really a problem - just show up at the counter, yes, perhaps a few minutes earlier then you might otherwise, take the minute or so to deal with the agent, and go on your way. If this is the worst treatment you get from buying a BE fare, I’d say you’re doing good. Of course, if this check didn’t take place, the posts would be about UA charging an extra $25 to check a rollerboard at the gate for a BE pax.
My fault. I didn't know that it works differently for non elites.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
What's weird to my eye is that all the fare classes are wide open. Does UA really not have any one-way (non-BE) IAH-PHL fares with > 14 days advanced purchase filed that book into anything below the M bucket?

AA is offering $253 connecting for $575 nonstop.

Frontier's $70 option lands at 4:00am which is a bit rough.
That part struck me too, and is why I chose to include that in the picture. If all of the remaining fare classes are reserved for round trips, that seems like a very odd business decision given that there are many cheaper ways to get to Philadelphia than that. Maybe they just want everyone to buy BE and pay extra fees for seat assignments and bags?
Old May 13, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...Maybe they just want everyone to buy BE and pay extra fees for seat assignments and bags?
“everyone”? How many people do you think buy a one-way ticket IAH-PHL?
Old May 13, 2018, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This is rather less normal than at first glance... ignoring BE for the moment, for some odd reason most of the OW fares and some of the RT fares have routing rule:

Code:
    V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG
  1   WAA4AFEN       W X   231.00 R06AU        14/1  -/  -  414
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT                 AUTO PRICE-YES              
FROM-HOU TO-PHL    CXR-UA    TVL-02JUN18  RULE-ECF2 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-WAA4AFEN          SPECIAL FARE  DIS-N   VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SIP      OW-INSTANT PURCHASE
USD   214.88  0414  E30APR18 D06AUG18   FC-WAA4AFEN  FN-8R   
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 30APR18/1211  EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG HOU-PHL/UA414 /TAR-DRG1    EF-30APR18 DIS-INDEF

TRAVEL MUST NOT BE NONSTOP
MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
 1. HOU-CHI/DEN/EWR/LAX/WAS-PHL
I would almost feel like it's a mistake but AA matches identically. For whatever reason, they seem to want a massive nonstop premium for one-ways and even a small one for round-trips (the round-trips which allow the nonstop have Saturday night stay requirements). I would hazard a guess that it's the standard market segmentation to hit business travelers, with the added knowledge that the one-stop routes get skipped by LCLF and so does BE.

Honestly it's hard for me to call it bad business. Someone carefully sat down, determined exactly what rules large companies play by, and exploited that to get over $1,000 for IAH/PHL round-trips.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
the round-trips which allow the nonstop have Saturday night stay requirements
This is extremely common on routes where UA believes it has market power. Was forced to buy an M SFO-SBA two weeks ago because anything cheaper required a Saturday night stay.
Old May 13, 2018, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

This flight is on 6/2.

Very common IMO. I'm looking at an IAH-ORD flight that has BE for $56 or the cheapest economy (restricted) is $474 for a difference of $418.

-RM
Old May 14, 2018, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Funny, IAH-PHL used to be a reasonable way to circumvent the punitive IAH-WAS fares.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: TK Gold
Greetings all, I am based in the ar East and the UK. I have never tied UA BE before. I'll have two companions and I am a * Gold. It says on UA website that the BE's restrictions on carry-on are waived. Does that mean 2 o my companions would get a carry-on and one personal item?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.