Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:35 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sannmann

OP said he’s *G. He’s allowed a full sized carry on and will board with Group 2.
And to answer the posed question, if it will not fit in the OH bin or under the seat, you will gate check it at DTW as you board, and you will be reunited with it at IAD. It will not be checked through to your final destination.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, WN A-list, AS MVP 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The $114 BE vs. $304 Economy makes me choose option C. Don't go. But it pales in comparison to the AA offering of $114 vs. $470 for the same routing!

They're asking for an extra $40/hour so I can sit in E+ and be 8th on the upgrade list as a 1K? That's awful.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
And to answer the posed question, if it will not fit in the OH bin or under the seat, you will gate check it at DTW as you board, and you will be reunited with it at IAD. It will not be checked through to your final destination.
thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hokiebuy

thanks.
Anytime they give you the green tag to put it on yourself (or sometimes they will come around and do it for people) then you always get your bag back at the next airport like you would any other carry on from the overhead bin. If they actually print out a tag from the computer with the tape backing and put that on then they can check it through to your final destination and you will get it at baggage claim. If you are ever unsure ask the GA when you scan your boarding pass to board.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
You should be able to request them to check it to your final destination instead if you prefer (white tag), although with a BE fare I'm a little unsure how that would work fee-wise.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
In the "this pricing makes no sense" category . . .

Looking at SFO-LAX next month, BE is priced just $4 less than regular economy ($55 vs. $59).

And in the related, "I can't believe how cheap this fare is" category . . . F is only $160, and the post purchase buy-up was offered for $89, meaning a total price of $148 for a paid F seat.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the "this pricing makes no sense" category . . .

Looking at SFO-LAX next month, BE is priced just $4 less than regular economy ($55 vs. $59).
IMO makes more sense than $25, which is what it was last month.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
IMO makes more sense than $25, which is what it was last month.
Would you give up SDC, pre-assigned seat, and chance for a CPU to save $4?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: united
It is only a one hour flight. The BE discount should be lowest on short flights.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dilanesp
It is only a one hour flight. The BE discount should be lowest on short flights.
SFO-LAX is exactly the type of route where I want the SDC option because of frequency of flights and commute-like nature of the travel. And the whole reason I fly UA rather than WN to LA is for an assigned E+ seat and a first class cabin.

But you'd give all that up for $4? Maybe UA's not as foolish with this BE pricing as I thought
Old Apr 17, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused - no, I wouldn't. I would pay $4 more than WN to get guaranteed E+ and 1K benefits, and CPU odds. And isn't that what they want me to do?

At a $25 differential I will just fly WN. I've been saying for months they should do a $10 differential and straddle the WN fares +/- $5.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: united
SFO-LAX is exactly the type of route where I want the SDC option because of frequency of flights and commute-like nature of the travel. And the whole reason I fly UA rather than WN to LA is for an assigned E+ seat and a first class cabin.

But you'd give all that up for $4? Maybe UA's not as foolish with this BE pricing as I thought
I wouldn't. But then I will pay for F on that route, and have.

But I am just stating a truism- the shorter the flight, the less differential between Y- and Y.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:59 pm

Only one of those (seat assignment) applies to non-elites. I don't think United is targeting elites with its BE fares.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by findark
At a $25 differential I will just fly WN. I've been saying for months they should do a $10 differential and straddle the WN fares +/- $5.
I don't think UA should (or can) compete with WN by offering BE fares. WN's not in the GDS so UA gain's no meaningful advantage in online comparisons. Plus WN doesn't use the unbundled services model the other LCCs do. Go on the WN forum, all you hear is "free checked bags, no change fees"; offering a $4 cheaper fare is not going to bring those pax over to UA. And WN just killed UA intra-California when BE first came out . . . the resultant fare war is still raging.

I'm not sure what the fare differential Y=>BE should be, but $4 is ridiculous.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:11 am

PHX-LAX next week. BE at $ 52.00, reg Y $ 165.00. For a one hour flight on a RJ. No brainer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.