Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:58 am

Yeah I have explore card.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by flybie
So we are good then if we use gift card to buy BE ticket without using my United cc at all and just make sure my Mileage # on reservation?
This worked for me, I hold an Explorer card and bought a BE ticket with my CSR (didn't use my Explorer card at all) and had my MileagePlus number on my reservation and I was in BG2 and brought a full-size carryon, as did my companion on the same PNR.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Aliquot
You have other choices if AS, HA (both legacies), B6 or WN fly between the cities you want. The big three have often been price matching these carriers lowest fares, with BE fares. Why would anyone choose a UA BE fare for the same price as a normal economy ticket on any if these carriers?
In the "sticking with my principles department" I just booked SFO-SEA-SFO on UA/AS vs the usual DL since DL wanted another $10 to avoid a BE vs. UA/AS which were both $179 each way (vs $189 on DL). I really don't know why Delta is suddently doing BE on this type of competative routing in higher fare catigories, but it certainly has impacted my buying decission. That said, I'm somewhat unusual in that I'm gold on AS/VX, PLT on DL, and Gold on UA (a few miles from 2MM) so there is no appreciable loyality bump from flying any carrier (other than that upgrades do occur on AS and DL but not UA, but its a short flight). About the only down side in not flying DL is that I can't use the shower at SEA (SkyClub has them, the Centurion does not) but for the principle of the matter (and that AS's flight time is better) I am down on DL....
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Odd pricing strategy:

Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Odd pricing strategy:

Happens more often than it doesn't @:-)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Odd pricing strategy:
If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by mduell
If this a one way or RT/multi-city? Buying BE on that leg preserves the ability to buy it on others where it may be cheaper.
This is a one way ticket. I tried to book this as a round trip yesterday and the BE fare for the LGA-IAH segment was the same price, regular economy was $308.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: United Silver
What just happened?

so i need a last minute flight from CHI - DC. United offers 300 dollar flights to DCA and 100 $ flights to BWI. Which is an hour away. I get pissed off. The flights to DCA are all pretty empty, and i begin to rail at United for being evil/greedy -- especially because the 100 dollar flight is basic economy, and my platinum status wont give me an upgrade to Economy Plus seating, which is all i care about. Anyway, i do the 100 buck basic economy seat because i dont like paying an extra 200 bucks for an economy plus seat which is what i thought i was guaranteeing with all my mileage runs last year

i walk to the back of the plane depressed -- and then discover that my seat is 8A a nice economy plus seat, especially after they throw out the women in the row next to me for trying to sit there with a different seat assignment.

So...why did they give me this economy plus upgrade, i didnt even ask for it!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There have been widespread reports of Premiers on BE fares being auto-assigned E+ if it remains. However, if you fly BE you won't stay Premier for long.

Not really surprising to see a huge premium for DCA - it is after all a lot more convenient than BWI. Even most Scrooge-like company policies would endorse it.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Not really surprising to see a huge premium for DCA - it is after all a lot more convenient than BWI. Even most Scrooge-like company policies would endorse it.
And $300 for a last minute ticket ORD-DCA is hardly outrageous. I'm kind of surprised it's not higher.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama
United offers 300 dollar flights to DCA and 100 $ flights to BWI.... the 100 dollar flight is basic economy, and my platinum status wont give me an upgrade to Economy Plus seating, which is all i care about. Anyway, i do the 100 buck basic economy seat because i dont like paying an extra 200 bucks for an economy plus
How much was the normal economy (not Basic Economy) ticket on the BWI flight?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:20 pm

Mrs. EX flew home to NRT today. Two different itineraries. PHX-LAX BE, LAX-NRT GPU upgrade. Agent in PHX not happy about two itineraries and warnings about being unable to check luggage through all the way ( "the U.S. Government does not like when you do two separate itineraries" ). But in the end she did her the favor and we graciously thanked her. Incidentally, she was able to do OLCI on both itineraries and got a windows seat in E+ on the BE portion. They went to a 739 from the original E190. Wasn't as cheap as SW, but certainly more convenient. Also she got lounge access at PHX.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Wasn't as cheap as SW, but certainly more convenient.
It would be worth at least $100 to me to get E+ and not have to carry my bags across the parking lot at LAX (or take that awful intra-terminal shuttle all the way from T1 to T7).
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Interesting.. as of today, UA removed Basic Economy from SFO-MSP, one of the original rollout markets. Not sure if it's a mistake or due to competition from AS. DL has not matched yet, but I'm taking these $89 G fares to the bank.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Interesting.. as of today, UA removed Basic Economy from SFO-MSP, one of the original rollout markets. Not sure if it's a mistake or due to competition from AS. DL has not matched yet, but I'm taking these $89 G fares to the bank.
Are you sure they removed it, or just screwed up how it works. Did a SFO-MSP search on Feb. 23 - 27 (random dates), and see the $89 G fare, but there is also BE available on the same flight at $119. There are reports of similar upthread. Probably a error somewhere in the implentation of the N fares, or the N is matching to a higher regular class for some reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.