DOT Rule on Family Seating

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:29 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
DOT Rule on Family Seating

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
UA appears to be testing functionality for its new "Budget Economy" fares. Saw a pop-up on .bomb asking whether indeed I wanted to confirm the "Budget Economy" option, which noted that it would NOT provide for seat selection (until 24h check-in), E+, UPGs, and ability to change flights. Did not indicate that M+ miles wouldn't be earned, so am assuming that still will be the case. Appears solely to be beta-testing, but at least we now know their name for this no-frills fare.
Great now I can just see the families with children buying this fare and then at the gate screaming and moaning that they can't sit together.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:26 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a
Great now I can just see the families with children buying this fare and then at the gate screaming and moaning that they can't sit together.
Given DOT is going to start requiring airlines allow families to get seat assignments together without charge, it will be interesting to see how ua's IT handles this.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
Given DOT is going to start requiring airlines allow families to get seat assignments together without charge, it will be interesting to see how ua's IT handles this.
It does not require that the entire family be seated together, just anyone under 13 seated next to an accompanying member who is 13 or older.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by exerda
This was my first thought as well. My guess is it will be handled at the gate, with some last minute moves as necessary. I can tell you they do not handle this great with lap babies currently where on some UAX aircraft there are restrictions on where lap children can sit, and got hit by this when I was a novice at that. I had booked row 5 on an ER4 the first time we flew with our infant and didn't know, and even the GA didn't fix it - it was done on board by the FA - luckily, he pax in row 7 didn't have a problem switching with us in row 5 though it was pretty even switch. The second time, didn't realize we needed to be on the CD side of a CR7 - this was switched and the gate and involved splitting the wife and I up.

To the OP, can you give any indication (or screenshots) of what the selection process was. Did this fare show up in the regular "lowest economy" column, or is there something specific to select the budget economy fare. I really hope the latter. While I like getting the best price as much as the next guy, I will never, ever be buying one of these fares - not on UA or as a similar fare on any other carrier.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 23, 2016 at 10:46 am Reason: splitting post to seperate subjects
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For anyone who's interested, here's the proposed DOT rule (I've highlighted the heading on "Family Seating"):

SEC. 3113. LASTING IMPROVEMENTS TO FAMILY TRAVEL.

(a) Short Title.--This section may be cited as the
``Lasting Improvements to Family Travel Act'' or the ``LIFT
Act''.
(b) Accompanying Minors for Security Screening.--The
Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration
shall formalize security screening procedures that allow for
one adult family caregiver to accompany a minor child
throughout the entirety of the security screening process.
(c) Special Accommodations for Pregnant Women.--Not later
than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act,
the Secretary of Transportation shall review and, if
appropriate, prescribe regulations that direct all air
carriers to include pregnant women in their policies, with
respect to preboarding or advance boarding of aircraft.
(d) Family Seating.--Not later than 1 year after the date
of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall review and,
if appropriate, establish a policy directing all air carriers
to ensure that, if a family is traveling on a reservation
with a child under the age of 13, that child is able to sit
in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family
member over the age of 13, to the maximum extent practicable,
at no additional cost.
Congressional Record
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"to the maximum extent practicable"
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
That's what caught my eye.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
This will be firmed up when the FAA actually writes the regulation, it will mean that it will be done unless it is an issue of safety (weight and balance).
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ROCAT
it will mean that it will be done unless it is an issue of safety (weight and balance).
O2 masks (for lap kids) and exit row requirements could also come into play. So could having too many <13 year-old kids for the number of 13+ family members on aircraft with 1x2 or 2x2 seating. That's all I can think of at the moment but there might be more.

Only downside I see is for the passenger who's forced to give up his desired seat in order to make the change. It should be pretty manageable, though.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kacee
For anyone who's interested, here's the proposed DOT rule (I've highlighted the heading on "Family Seating"):

Congressional Record
This isn't the proposed rule, it's the statute enacted by Congress, ordering DOT to issue a rule within one year. There isn't anything even remotely close to a proposed rule yet.

Note that "maximum extent possible" gives DOT a great deal of discretion and as others have already noted only requires one <13 w. one >13 and only when on the same "reservation".

The EU has managed quite well for years with a similar scheme and somehow people seem to survive.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kacee

Congressional Record
That's not the proposed Rule, it's just the statutory language requiring DOT to issue a rule within a year. A proposed rule is a long ways away and DOT is notorious for blowing deadlines.

The EU has done this for years and people seem to survive. As others note, it's being wrongly characterized as "family seating" when it only applies to <13 and only means adjacent to one 13+. Also, gotta be the same "reservation".

All it takes is the GA offering to move somebody else out of their middle seat near the lav and you'll see people slink away quite fast.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:20 pm

I hope the ONE >13 with <13 is a VERY prominent part of whatever rule is drafted.

Im certain some families will expect ..shall we say... "family seating"...
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Considering the DOT rules, you may very well be watching the passengers who are being reassigned seats to accommodate those families screaming and moaning....

Last edited by rickg523; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:49 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:00 am

Programs: US Gold
A lot of BA's fares work like that - you have to pay extra for seat selection - and they seem to manage.

wg
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by wendyg
A lot of BA's fares work like that - you have to pay extra for seat selection - and they seem to manage.

wg
All BA bookings place kids with at least one adult family member before - no need to pay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.