Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
What are the chances of 2 swaps in 2 weeks lol.
All the swaps will happen within 72 hours of departure, but higher than you might think.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And there was the big seat wipeout this past weekend.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
So I finally called regarding my ORD-NRT seat assignment with the hope of getting 2A back on account of my 1K status at the time of booking. The agent informed me that an e-mail was sent out today (or recently anyways) that GF seats were now blocked for "globals only" (I'm assuming she meant GS). It didn't sound like she was making stuff up; she seemingly pulled up the e-mail on her end and paraphrased it to the effect of what I just wrote. She volunteered to check with a supervisor to see if the block could be overridden.

Do any 1Ks have recent experience getting a seat in GF?

Mods: feel free to move this post into the original thread about GF seat assignments for GS/1K if it's better suited there.

UPDATE: the agent said her supervisor said that previously GF seats were not supposed to be selectable by 1Ks. So now I feel more suspicious that the two of them were making stuff up. Who knows!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:23 am Reason: Moved as suggested
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
So I finally called regarding my ORD-NRT seat assignment with the hope of getting 2A back on account of my 1K status at the time of booking. The agent informed me that an e-mail was sent out today (or recently anyways) that GF seats were now blocked for "globals only" (I'm assuming she meant GS). It didn't sound like she was making stuff up; she seemingly pulled up the e-mail on her end and paraphrased it to the effect of what I just wrote. She volunteered to check with a supervisor to see if the block could be overridden.

Do any 1Ks have recent experience getting a seat in GF?

Mods: feel free to move this post into the original thread about GF seat assignments for GS/1K if it's better suited there.

UPDATE: the agent said her supervisor said that previously GF seats were not supposed to be selectable by 1Ks. So now I feel more suspicious that the two of them were making stuff up. Who knows!
I just did a dummy booking. FC is now grayed out for me.
As if I didn’t have to obsessively check my seats already, now I’m really paranoid.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
Innnnteresting, My Saturday NRT-IAD booking also has all of the GF seats greyed out. I just thought someone got them before my u/g cleared, but perhaps they have been blocked from this 1K.

Watching it like a hawk,
big V
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by big V
Innnnteresting, My Saturday NRT-IAD booking also has all of the GF seats greyed out. I just thought someone got them before my u/g cleared, but perhaps they have been blocked from this 1K.

Watching it like a hawk,
big V
Damn! Just before I did a dummy booking I checked my flights and they looked normal (with a few seats left in FC). Just looked again...all blocked. My 1K seat is still holding strong. Glad I didn’t try to switch it.
And most the decent seats in Business are already taken.
They are really upping the game, aren’t they!
Originally Posted by big V
(Do we add this to the T-shirts we are printing this year? I survived the great seat map outage of 2019!)
Let me know when you start making these. And don’t forget the missing magic word ; )

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:22 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
As if I didn’t have to obsessively check my seats already, now I’m really paranoid.
I'm getting really sick of this. My wife is getting really sick of this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:38 am

As of Feb 5th seats can only be selected by GS. 1K my be assigned Polaris FC seats close to departure time if there is availability.

Last edited by MMBlakes; Feb 5, 2019 at 5:40 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Maybe time to revise the Thread title? Seems pretty confirmed....
Mod alerted

Added a wiki.
Also, does any 1K have a domestic segment on a 3 cabin plane that can check their seat options. Just want to confirm this is all flights, and not just Intl.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MMBlakes
As of Feb 5th seats can only be selected by GS. 1K my be assigned Polaris FC seats close to departure time if there is availability.
Before or after they upgrade the non-revs to those seats?
goodeats21, chavala and JMBResona like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Yep, greyed out. 2K still holding here.

But frankly, it just sucks. Give it, take it away next day.

I guess AC flights will see more of me until they get Polaris all in. Not that the seats in pre-UA are that bad. But frankly I don't like this cat-and-mouse game.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skidooman
But frankly, it just sucks. Give it, take it away next day.
I'm disappointed, but I'm not terribly surprised. I think UA failed to realize that once word got out, GS and 1K members would start preferentially booking the 3-class birds instead of avoiding them.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Also, does any 1K have a domestic segment on a 3 cabin plane that can check their seat options. Just want to confirm this is all flights, and not just Intl.
SFO-IAD (dummy booking) 2CH show free on the flight search seat map, but I cannot select them. Restriction to GS seems to be for real. I can't find a legacy GF plane within frame assignment that has free GF seats to test whether they unblock at T-60.

This is less of a big deal though as we are already at the 50% mark for Polaris conversions. I was looking forward to a GF seat one last time, but instead I'm "stuck" with an odd Polaris window
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
This is less of a big deal though as we are already at the 50% mark for Polaris conversions. I was looking forward to a GF seat one last time, but instead I'm "stuck" with an odd Polaris window
Knowing my good luck, I'll still be in the 3-class 772 and I'll be "stuck" in a middle seat of the middle section of four. And my wife will be "stuck" in a middle seat of the middle section of four but in a different row. I expect that in April we'll not have the Polarized plane as they should be assigned to routes where they sell the Premium Plus tickets. Not selling those on UA metal on nonstop flights from ORD even for flights in late summer.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I just booked a three-class 777-200 IAD-MUC for the fall and could book 1K. Though with the return on a Polaris seat plan, I wonder if it will change before the flight. I use EF to monitor aircraft changes. In my experience, many airlines change craft frequently. I just got alerted to a change on an upcoming BA flight from a 787 to an A380, BA kept my seat number, but that is an aircraft change which definitely made me go in and change the seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.