Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I’ve been watching the flight status for the past week leading up to my Wednesday ORD-FRA (1K in old GF).
I noticed a definite pattern. As soon as the flight status updated to 2 days later (ie on Mar 1 you can see flight status up til Mar 3), the flight got Polarized.
This happened 6 days in a row (maybe more, I didn’t check before then) except Sunday’s flight. None of them changed back to the old equipment afterwards.
So I got it in my head mine would update at midnight central time.

By 12:04am I felt like an idiot for staying up late for no reason.
Then at 12:06am I watched as it changed before my eyes! I was able to select 1L.

Btw 1A is still blocked according to EF.

Edit to add: Just got my EF Aircraft change notification — almost 10 hours later. What a joke.

gokeeper and findark like this.

Last edited by chavala; Mar 4, 2019 at 10:49 am Reason: messed up!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chavala
Btw 1A is still blocked according to EF.
ORD-FRA should fly with an augmented crew, so it will go out blocked.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
The seat alert still says I’m in 1K. What a joke.
How did you get EF to give you a seat alert that says you are in 1K?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
How did you get EF to give you a seat alert that says you are in 1K?
You're right - sorry, my brain is already in vacation packing mode.
But that doesn't forgive the 10 hour delayed notice on the equipment change. All the good seats were long gone by then.

In fact I'm editing that so nobody else can call me out for being an idiot ; )
AceReport likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
You're right - sorry, my brain is already in vacation packing mode.
But that doesn't forgive the 10 hour delayed notice on the equipment change. All the good seats were long gone by then.

In fact I'm editing that so nobody else can call me out for being an idiot ; )
No idiot talk allowed!

Actually, I was anticipating that you were doing what I do: Set a seat alert for my own seat, so I can see if I have been moved against my will.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
No idiot talk allowed!

Actually, I was anticipating that you were doing what I do: Set a seat alert for my own seat, so I can see if I have been moved against my will.
I do that for every flight, but in this case it wouldn’t work since there is no Polaris 1K seat. EF would never see it as becoming “available” since it doesn’t exist.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
Has any non-GS J customer been able to get one of the GF seats and if so, how was it done? Was it "upgrading" to the GF cabin before hand (were you charged or not?), or at check in (online/kiosk/agent?) (Did it have to be within 24hrs of GF flight or could it be at check in for earlier flight w/ GF flight on same leg?), or at the gate?

Would not having a seat selected improve chances?

Last edited by therossinator; Mar 6, 2019 at 3:08 am
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by therossinator
Has any non-GS J customer been able to get one of the GF seats and if so, how was it done?
Yes, see post #490 .
Basically, it was "done" through aircraft swaps, and I was assigned a GF seat (as a 1K).
First was assigned 1A, then at check in it was changed but still in GF.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Yes, see post #490 .
Basically, it was "done" through aircraft swaps, and I was assigned a GF seat (as a 1K).
Thanks for the tip. I’m really driving at what are the things within my control (influence) in order to get one of those GF seats. AC swaps are out of my control and so are random invitations to sit up front. The way the internal memo read, it sounded like anyone could select them at check in but in briefly scanning the thread, I didn’t see any reports of this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:17 am

The way the internal memo read, it sounded like anyone could select them at check in but in briefly scanning the thread, I didn’t see any reports of this.
Initially 1K and GS were able to select the GF seats, exactly. (For a VERY brief time after this scheme was introduced, everyone was able to select them IIRC.)
Then they changed their minds and removed that benefit from 1Ks and made it GS-only.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Initially 1K and GS were able to select the GF seats, exactly. (For a VERY brief time after this scheme was introduced, everyone was able to select them IIRC.)
Then they changed their minds and removed that benefit from 1Ks and made it GS-only.
I’m tracking all that. The internal memo I was referring to was one I found here: https://milesfromblighty.boardingarea.com/2019/02/19/united-slaps-1ks-again/
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:39 am

I’m tracking all that. The internal memo I was referring to was one I found here: https://milesfromblighty.boardingarea.com/2019/02/19/united-slaps-1ks-again/
Interesting.
So I figure it's:

1) GS (+ companion[s]) can choose at booking
2) A special team may assign 1Ks once aircraft is certain
3) Any leftover empty seats can be nabbed at check-in by any J passenger

Something tells me there aren't many leftovers...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Flying UA932 tomorrow, and the seat map indicates 4 GF seats left.

I guess the "special team" didn't deem me worthy of a GF seat in advance
narvik likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by JMBResona
Flying UA932 tomorrow, and the seat map indicates 4 GF seats left.

I guess the "special team" didn't deem me worthy of a GF seat in advance
I'm very interested to see if you can select one of those seats when you check in.
findark likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

I have one more flight dealing with this mess, and from now on no more booking this equipment until they get it together. Way too much stress involved wondering where I might be sitting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.