Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I selected 2A on 777-200 from FRA-ORD in March when the seats were assignable. I hope UA doesn't bump me back.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
Maybe it hurts towards earning GS, but if I'm not mistaken, UA doesn't really care if you book LH or NH. They all share the revenue if I'm not mistaken.
that's correct, book swiss air and route through Zurich
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: United Premier 1k, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Wow. I know GS are almighty when it comes to UA, and I get it to an extent...But this is beyond ridiculous. We 1Ks were offered a perk, we made plans based on said perk, and now we have reports of it literally being taken away on the spot. UA moving the goalposts is not cool under any circumstances.

I’ve got 2A next month on two very long flights. For the same money and no further “time” on my part, I intentionally booked the GF seat when I could have taken the 777-300 or even a 789...Both are better than 2-4-2 business. But I chose my routing based on the fact UA allowed me to book that GF seat, or worst case (a wash to me), new Polaris.

Now, with PE going live next month, and the shift of re-configured 772s moving to SFO (for the most part) the likelihood of a 3-class out of ORD increases greatly.
I've got the same thing, I'm going to ask to be rerouted through EWR as my chance of getting my booked seat are minimal!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chuck1
Maybe it hurts towards earning GS, but if I'm not mistaken, UA doesn't really care if you book LH or NH. They all share the revenue if I'm not mistaken.
I don't have insight into the revenue sharing terms, but UA can't not care, or they wouldn't incentivize UA metal in the GS program.
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Wow. I know GS are almighty when it comes to UA, and I get it to an extent...But this is beyond ridiculous. We 1Ks were offered a perk, we made plans based on said perk, and now we have reports of it literally being taken away on the spot. UA moving the goalposts is not cool under any circumstances.

I’ve got 2A next month on two very long flights. For the same money and no further “time” on my part, I intentionally booked the GF seat when I could have taken the 777-300 or even a 789...Both are better than 2-4-2 business. But I chose my routing based on the fact UA allowed me to book that GF seat, or worst case (a wash to me), new Polaris.
I agree. I go with the proverb "Donner, c'est donner. Reprendre, c'est voler". Translation: "To give is to give. To take back is to steal".

My wife and I are actually arriving at our destination about 4 hours later than if we had taken a 763. But that is a small sacrifice for our seats in the former First Class that were given to us on the phone by an United agent.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Prometa,
Maybe i was not clear. The agent said they were for people that had booked F seats before they stopped selling them, and did not have seat assignments.
Interesting the agent said nothing about Rows1 and 2 only bookable by GS.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by cos999
Prometa,
Maybe i was not clear. The agent said they were for people that had booked F seats before they stopped selling them, and did not have seat assignments.
Interesting the agent said nothing about Rows1 and 2 only bookable by GS.
i assume what the agent meant is those seats are occupied by people who bought an F ticket way back when and UA didn’t bump them out. Holding the seats now for people who originally bought an F class ticket is probably beyond UA’s IT capacity, as tracking those people would be a challenge (compared to tracking who is GS, for example)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Well, I’m glad for the warning. If they give my 1K seat to a GS at the last minute, and bump me back to a middle seat, I think I’d lose my cool.
I get it—GS is the almighty King. But some DYKWIA rolling up at the last minute and demanding my seat? For SURE that pax will know how I feel about it.
onthesam likes this.

Last edited by chavala; Feb 20, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cos999
The agent said they were for people that had booked F seats before they stopped selling them, and did not have seat assignments.
The last seats available for sale in 3-cabin First on United flew in August 2018 (possibly a bit later as they pushed it back). Flights in 2019 never had F/A/O inventory offered as First.
jsloan, UA_Flyer, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Musical Chairs!

Originally booked on EWR-PEK on the trusty 77Y with my preferred seat. GPU cleared at booking!
Change of plans, and I canceled and rebooked ORD-PEK. GPU also cleared, but of course 2-4-2. At least not in the middle. Fair enough.
A few days out plane changes to 777-300. Okay. Change assigned seat to something nicer, 3A.
Receive an email from UA a day out that my seat has changed and they tried to keep a similar seat. Checked online, and they switched back to original pmUA 3-class plane. But now I'm up front! Okay, nice.
Check in and my seat has changed, although still up front. (Maybe crew rest, maybe GS complaint???l

Let's see if this sticks.....

Added: it was crew rest. 1A.

Last edited by narvik; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:16 pm Reason: added
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Just lost my seat 1K to 1L on a Polaris 772, fingers crossed they don't do the double swap!

Last edited by AceReport; Feb 27, 2019 at 2:57 pm Reason: clarity
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 1K
Have others recently received an "upgrade" email from United to the old GF seats on a 3-class 772?
  • I am a 1K booked in D on UA907 (ORD-FRA) towards the end of March 2019.
  • The old GF seats were not available for selection at the time of booking (grayed-out in seat diagram) so I went with an aisle seat in the old eight-abreast business section.
  • About a week after booking, I received an email saying that I have been moved to a seat in the old GF section of Polaris Business.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by marinbb
Have others recently received an "upgrade" email from United to the old GF seats on a 3-class 772?
  • I am a 1K booked in D on UA907 (ORD-FRA) towards the end of March 2019.
  • The old GF seats were not available for selection at the time of booking (grayed-out in seat diagram) so I went with an aisle seat in the old eight-abreast business section.
  • About a week after booking, I received an email saying that I have been moved to a seat in the old GF section of Polaris Business.
That’s good news and thanks for reporting- and welcome to Flyertalk!

But damn, I wish UA would get their story straight.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:13 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala

But damn, I wish UA would get their story straight.
It looks like they want the discretion to assign the seats as they see fit to 1Ks in a way that doesn't displace GS pax.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Sitting in 3-class 777-200 1K right now!
wxguy and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.