Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This.

The better practice is to hold the seats for GS to the gate and then offer them to 1K's. It's a small perk, but one which grates.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Why is that the better practice? IME seats were selectable for those who confirmed into J (either with cash or by applying instrument at booking) rather than those who confirmed into Y and played the upgrade lottery.

Why shouldn't those pax with actual confirmed J seats be allowed to confirm F seats before those who pay for Y and then roll the dice?

The new practice is to let GS confirm the seats and 1Ks are left to hope for what is essentially an OP-UP (highly remote and not a perk beyond what is extended to all membership).
chavala and JMBResona like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This.

The better practice is to hold the seats for GS to the gate and then offer them to 1K's. It's a small perk, but one which grates.
Yes, but WHICH 1Ks?

I have no problem reserving these seats for GS. I do have an issue with the fact I booked my ticket months ago when both cabins were wide open. Now the only seats left in the Business cabin are bad - and I mean BAD.
If, (or more likely WHEN), the seat map goes bonkers again, 1Ks will be left scrambling to get a decent seat along with the non-status last-minute wait-listed UG pax.
UA should at the very least say those who reserved their FC seats before Feb 4 will be allowed to have them back if this happens. After all, it's their system that's screwing everything up.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I imagine the change came because of GS (who are even more loyal/high spending than 1K) complaining about not being able to get a FC seat selection after they were all consumed by 1Kers.
The sad part is that the only GS I know is not more loyal and not higher spending than myself. He stated that he never paid a Business Class fare because it's too expensive. However, he works for an employer that can gift the GS status to some employees and I have my idea why he got it and not some of his colleagues that travel more frequently on international long hauls.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I spotted an ORD-SFO last night that had the old 772 configuration flying. Looked like the GF seats remained blocked at the gate and were getting filled by the upgrade list running. I imagine that to have any shot as a 1K you would need to go pester the GA. I do agree that this change was probably driven by too many 1Ks up front though; based on loads I've seen it's totally plausible that the 5-day AP GS-on-C-fare crowd were getting stuck in the middle of 2-4-2 and complaining.

Just hoping for Polaris mods at this point -- already at the 50% mark.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Continental
Any reports of 1k losing old gf seat?

I have one in old gf which I booked several months ago. An ewr to sfo flight. Hope I don't get knocked out of 2K.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
I spoke with a 1K agent who read me (or at least she told me she read) the letter which did not give any indication of allowing last minute OP-UP for 1K at check-in or at the gate. Of course GA's can always do what they want to a certain degree but at least according to this agent there was no additional policy in the email that she had received.
JMBResona likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I specifically paid the upfare to P so I could try in the international F one last time on DEN-SFO (and so far am still in FC), I really hope they don't swap me out at the gate, otherwise I am going to be sitting middle J

I would assume they would at least give me my upfare back??
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whitethunder
I would assume they would at least give me my upfare back??
I wouldn't assume that at all. You might get a customer service ETC if you complain, but if you paid for business class and got a business class seat, UA isn't likely to refund anything.
Artpen100, findark and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
The sad part is that the only GS I know is not more loyal and not higher spending than myself. He stated that he never paid a Business Class fare because it's too expensive. However, he works for an employer that can gift the GS status to some employees and I have my idea why he got it and not some of his colleagues that travel more frequently on international long hauls.
He personally may ot be more loyal or higher spending but obviously his employer is. UA is keeping the business relationship with the entity that spends, that doesn't always mean the individual person. If his employer decided to give him the GS instead of employees that travel more frequently, that's the employer's problem.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
Originally Posted by stellarlight
It is by all means superior to any of the 2-4-2 seats, right? And I guess more often than not there is still plenty of space in the overhead cabins. A lot more space than the new Polaris offers.
Right!

but there is no way i am booking 2-4-2 again. I did the DC-Beijing run out and back, and swore to never ever do that configuration again.

2-4-2 in BA was not as bad, still tight, but it seemed like you had some room to place a book or headphones near you.

For me in order of preference on seating in star alliance is
- polaris (odd numbered window, first, then middle)
- ANA (window)
- Singapore Air (any)
- 2-2-2 united (middle seats, or on the side when traveling with the wife)

All in all, i think still think its better to never fly business or first the first time, as you will just have higher expectations for sleep / food / etc.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Z Man
Right!

but there is no way i am booking 2-4-2 again. I did the DC-Beijing run out and back, and swore to never ever do that configuration again.

2-4-2 in BA was not as bad, still tight, but it seemed like you had some room to place a book or headphones near you.

For me in order of preference on seating in star alliance is
- polaris (odd numbered window, first, then middle)
- ANA (window)
- Singapore Air (any)
- 2-2-2 united (middle seats, or on the side when traveling with the wife)

All in all, i think still think its better to never fly business or first the first time, as you will just have higher expectations for sleep / food / etc.
I largely agree, and will add AC's 777 and 787'. Their A330's and 767's don't have any storage space. BR, TG, CX, OS and AM widebody products are also very good for solo pax. Tonight I will be flying in an LX throne seat for the first time .It will be interesting to compare their product to OS, which I quite enjoy. I find TK quite good, but I dislike the 2-3-2 configuration. However, thay are changing their J cabin cnfiguratuons for the better. There are so many better options currently available that I would never consider a J class seat without direct aisle access, or someone having to crawl over me.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I just booked a trip in business with one int'l leg on a 3 class 772 and was not able to select a seat in the F cabin. Although disappointed, I get that these seats ought to be available for GS first, then 1Ks.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Although disappointed, I get that these seats ought to be available for GS first, then 1Ks.
I get that too, but very few flights will have 8 GS and it doesn't seem right that remaining seats will be filled with nonrevs. Couldn't they open the seats at check-in?
AceReport likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I get that too, but very few flights will have 8 GS and it doesn't seem right that remaining seats will be filled with nonrevs. Couldn't they open the seats at check-in?
Not sure where the myth about nonrevs comes in.. the seats are sold as J inventory and anyone needing a seat assignment will end up in them. Unless you mean in the case where the flight is not fully sold up front?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.