Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Not sure when you’re flying, but an EF alert might be in order.
My last EF seat alert took 18 hours. I wouldn’t rely on them for anything important - not anymore.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
My ORD<>HKG pmUA 777-200ER r/t was just Polarisized. 1A went to 3L (I would have lost 1A anyway due to the new pilot rest location, so I'm glad it got P'ed); the other went from 1K to 1L.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy
My ORD<>HKG pmUA 777-200ER r/t was just Polarisized. 1A went to 3L (I would have lost 1A anyway due to the new pilot rest location, so I'm glad it got P'ed); the other went from 1K to 1L.
That's a good outcome. Hopefully, it does not swap again for the flight that you got 3L as who knows what seat you would get.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:12 pm

Who gets F seats on 3-class 777 sold as 2-class domestic?

I got upgraded (CPU) from economy to business, but on the upgrade list I see a handful of people with upgrades cleared into rows 1 and 2. How did they pull that off?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 28, 2018 at 1:44 am Reason: moved to existing thread
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Booked on ORD-MUC in January. I decided on this flight for being able to grab the GF seats. Picked 1A before I knew it would become a crew rest. No notice from UA. Go into my reservation and see I am in 8K. Not really what I want but I am guessing there is no recourse.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Booked on ORD-MUC in January. I decided on this flight for being able to grab the GF seats. Picked 1A before I knew it would become a crew rest. No notice from UA. Go into my reservation and see I am in 8K. Not really what I want but I am guessing there is no recourse.
Keep checking the seat map as many times passengers who purchase Business Class tickets decide not to fly as work decide that they are needed somewhere else. I have seen very good seats open up even close to boarding the flight.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chavala
My last EF seat alert took 18 hours. I wouldn’t rely on them for anything important - not anymore.
Economized alerts under the new owners?
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:06 pm

I just checked in for my flight tomorrow -- can I finally relax now? Has anyone been Polarized AFTER check-in?

Yesterday I got an EF Equipment change alert while I was in the shower and nearly killed myself running to my desk. Turned out to be a false alarm -- the only change I could see was the tail number. Same CO 767-300. More evidence EF is now completely unreliable.
Also changed my seat yesterday and still haven't gotten an alert from that.

Last edited by chavala; Dec 31, 2018 at 2:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I just checked in for my flight tomorrow -- can finally I relax now? Has anyone been Polarized AFTER check-in?

Yesterday I got an EF Equipment change alert while I was in the shower and nearly killed myself running to my desk. Turned out to be a false alarm -- the only change I could see was the tail number. Same CO 767-300. More evidence EF is now completely unreliable.
Also changed my seat yesterday and still haven't gotten an alert from that.
Close-in changes are more apt to happen at hubs where multiple planes are available in case of IRROPs. Less likely at out stations where you're waiting for an inbound.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Close-in changes are more apt to happen at hubs where multiple planes are available in case of IRROPs. Less likely at out stations where you're waiting for an inbound.
Wow you are right -- they just changed it now! I must have caught it as the change was in process, because I didn't yet have a seat assignment and it wouldn't let me select one. I just kept refreshing it, then had to re-check-in to change it to a seat I like

PMCO 767-300 1D changed to 1F Polaris. Was able to switch to 3A before the rest of the seats were assigned.

Thank you Flyertalk once again!
Normal people (meaning people who don't read this forum every day) would not know what hit them until they were getting on the plane.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yes, after check-in is actually the most likely time for these swaps if you are departing a hub. This (tail changes) happens all the time on every flight, it's just you normally don't notice because the seat configs are the same.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Y....This (tail changes) happens all the time on every flight, it's just you normally don't notice because the seat configs are the same.
That's why I thought it was so odd I got the EF Eq. Chg. alert. The tail # was the only change I could see.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Wow you are right -- they just changed it now! I must have caught it as the change was in process, because I didn't yet have a seat assignment and it wouldn't let me select one. I just kept refreshing it, then had to re-check-in to change it to a seat I like

PMCO 767-300 1D changed to 1F Polaris. Was able to switch to 3A before the rest of the seats were assigned.

Thank you Flyertalk once again!
Normal people (meaning people who don't read this forum every day) would not know what hit them until they were getting on the plane.
Lucky you that you managed to get seat 3A. A good seat. One time my plane changed from a three-class 772 to a Polarized one then back to a three-class 772. The last switch was at 9:00 AM for a 6:00 PM flight. I ended up with a bad seat and my wife with no seat until we arrived at the airport at 3 PM. Then we had to bother agents in different locations (at check-in, at the Polaris Lounge and at the gate) to slightly improve our seats.....but they were never the good seats that we had originally.

On the return of that trip, the normal person who had booked a First Class seat was desperately looking for it when our plane was Polarized.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Lucky you that you managed to get seat 3A. A good seat. One time my plane changed from a three-class 772 to a Polarized one then back to a three-class 772. The last switch was at 9:00 AM for a 6:00 PM flight. I ended up with a bad seat and my wife with no seat until we arrived at the airport at 3 PM. Then we had to bother agents in different locations (at check-in, at the Polaris Lounge and at the gate) to slightly improve our seats.....but they were never the good seats that we had originally.

On the return of that trip, the normal person who had booked a First Class seat was desperately looking for it when our plane was Polarized.
I remember you posting about it!
I am lucky because 1F they put me in is by far the worst seat on the plane -- practically in the galley.
I am gonna watch it like a hawk. It will be interesting to see what happens at the airport tomorrow when everyone's BPs start beeping at the gate.

P.S. 1A is blocked -- I assume for crew rest

Last edited by chavala; Dec 31, 2018 at 4:23 pm Reason: add
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
More evidence EF is now completely unreliable.
It’s still pretty good — I’d rather have it activate and send too many messages than fewer, I suppose! Right now there are 4 configs of the 767 out there ... the 76L (Polaris and P+), 76A (Polaris but no P+), 76C (2-Class), and the elusive 76N (single old three class hanging out there). Soon there will be the high-density J one as well. I’ve had a flurry of alerts close in with it switching from L to A because of the P+ seats. Doesn’t affect J, just Y. Also with the A and C having the same number of J seats in same layout it’s sometimes hard to tell what happened with the alert. Can’t wait until all AC are done!
chavala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.