Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus GS, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, ITC Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
Besides, there's an excellent chance that the people getting those seats are also paid F travelers.
For sure. And there certainly are not travelers who paid a coach fare, since it is not possible to jump two classes, regardless of status.

Originally Posted by climmy
And now, my cash goes to AA and not to UA. That's just bad business for UA.
Well, yes and no. I would imagine that part of United calculus is that if you were buying as many high-value tickets on United, you would have the status and thus the access to the cabin, so their "high value" fliers are worth more in a straight dollars calculation.

I actually just had something like this happen to me, booked EWR-HKG through ORD in a flexible business fare on a 3 class 777, and had access to the GF seats during seat selection. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:05 am Reason: Please attribute quotes
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncleb
For sure. And there certainly are not travelers who paid a coach fare, since it is not possible to jump two classes, regardless of status.
UA is now a two-class airline. You can absolutely sit in the eight front seats on an upgraded coach ticket, if you're 1K or GS. I've done so on a recent trip to NRT. But your chances of getting upgrade space on SFO-IAD, especially as a 1K, is essentially nil.
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus GS, Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, ITC Platinum
You can absolutely sit in the eight front seats on an upgraded coach ticket, if you're 1K or GS. I've done so on a recent trip to NRT.
WOW! That I find a little surprising. I get that they are calling it two classes, but one would still be "jumped" to the front 8 seats from Biz, so I am surprised that they would also "jump" from coach as well, regardless of status. I mostly book in Biz anyway, as most of my rev flights are for business travel, so likely won't have the opportunity to experience of getting all the way up from coach, but glad it worked!
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What I want is to hear from the folks who end up in the front 8 seats after the swap to Polaris and back. Like, “I was in the middle of the 2-4-2, now I’m in seat 1K!” Who are these people who win the seat lottery??
jsloan and findark like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uncleb
WOW! That I find a little surprising. I get that they are calling it two classes, but one would still be "jumped" to the front 8 seats from Biz...
The front 8 seats are Biz, too. All former First and Business seats are now only “Polaris Business” (long-haul int’l) or “First” (domestic, non-premium) seats on a former 3-class a/c. It’s not “jumping”, it’s preferential seat selection.

If a 1K or GS upgrades from coach and selects 2K on a former 3-class plane, they are just picking the best Business seat.
Originally Posted by climmy
you've PERFECTLY summarized my original point that I was making so poorly. I might not fly 100,000 miles a year anymore...But I almost always pay for a premium cabin. So on any given Tuesday, that makes me a high value flyer. I mean, if you're paying the freight, you're paying the freight, right?
You’re not a HVF in UA’s view. UA is giving the perk to flyers who demonstrate a loyalty in mileage and $. To UA, 1K and GS flyers provide a somewhat predictable source of revenue. You don’t. UA is rewarding those who provide continuing $, not one-off $.

These seats ate eventually going away anyway.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:07 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
UA is now a two-class airline. You can absolutely sit in the eight front seats on an upgraded coach ticket, if you're 1K or GS.
This. To be explicit, in OP's case, all 8 former GF and 40 former BF seats are considered part of the "FIRST" cabin on this aircraft/flight, as SFO-IAD is not a PS or international market where the forward cabin would be marketed as "BUSINESS". There is no UA flight that offers both anymore.

Think of the former GF seats as merely a form of "preferred" seating in the F/J cabin, somewhat like E+ is to E-. Like others, I think it makes perfect sense for UA to restrict access to these preferred GF seats to its top FFs.

Originally Posted by cranky1K
What I want is to hear from the folks who end up in the front 8 seats after the swap to Polaris and back. Like, “I was in the middle of the 2-4-2, now I’m in seat 1K!” Who are these people who win the seat lottery??
If there's an a/c swap from Polaris back to IPTE, the system *should* auto-reassign GF seats to GS and 1K and restrict subsequent GF seat selection (in the event of any pax seeking to manually make changes after the swap) to GS and 1K, or at least that should be UA's intention. Now, who knows whether either of those happens in practice, particularly (and more importantly) the correct initial auto-reassignment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2018 at 12:09 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by dkc192
If there's an a/c swap from Polaris back to IPTE, the system *should* auto-reassign GF seats to GS and 1K and restrict subsequent GF seat selection (in the event of any pax seeking to manually make changes after the swap) to GS and 1K, or at least that should be UA's intention. Now, who knows whether either of those happens in practice, particularly (and more importantly) the correct initial auto-reassignment.
It worked. I booked a (former) 3-class IPTE 772 and self-assigned 1A. Three days out it swapped for a Polarisized 772, and was automatically assigned 1A. A day later, it reverted to an IPTE, and was re-reassigned to 1A.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
But in the case of SFO-IAD, the vast majority of GSs and iKs are also paid F, Very few upgrades for SFO-IAD, especially the flights with lie-flat seats. So UA is prioritizing its paid F HVF who are also high-level elite. The days of upgraded elites on hub-hub flights with lie flat-seats is long gone.
A few weeks ago I needed to book an SFO-BOS. No PN (or PZ) available all day. But there was an excellent coach fare SFO-IAD-BOS with PZ; the SFO-IAD on a 3-class IPTE and I was able to select 1A. Rare, but it can happen.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I think what climmy (and perhaps a few others) are most bothered by are the few GS and 1K that bought coach and get CPU'ed to GF seats when they paid full fare F and didn't even have that as an option. I get the anger/disappointment there. Personally, and I am 1K, I would think they probably have should have made that an option for full fare F ticket purchases but they didn't. I guess as the saying goes, you pay your money and you take your choice. In this case it sounds like some are jumping away from UA to what they perceive is a better product.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I think what climmy (and perhaps a few others) are most bothered by are the few GS and 1K that bought coach and get CPU'ed to GF seats when they paid full fare F and didn't even have that as an option.
On SFO-WAS, the route in question, full-fare F is $5486 RT (for the loosest definition of full fare -- JUA fare basis) or $19640 RT (for the actual F/J fare bases). I'm willing to wager that full-fare has nothing to do with it. (The cheapest discount F for some January dates I pulled up Is $1008 RT, by comparison).

There are very few, if any, CPUs on these routes. As you well know, it's extremely difficult even to clear an instrument on them. That point has been made repeatedly. The vast majority of people sitting in the front eight seats also bought first-class tickets, and are 1K/GS. End of story.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...There are very few, if any, CPUs on these routes. As you well know, it's extremely difficult even to clear an instrument on them. That point has been made repeatedly. The vast majority of people sitting in the front eight seats also bought first-class tickets, and are 1K/GS. End of story.
This. The hysteria of GSs or 1Ks using CPU/instrument/mileage to fill the 8 seats is a fairy tale. The issue non-GSs or 1Ks really have is that they aren't able to select the seats because they are not GS or 1Ks.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
O
There are very few, if any, CPUs on these routes. As you well know, it's extremely difficult even to clear an instrument on them. That point has been made repeatedly. The vast majority of people sitting in the front eight seats also bought first-class tickets, and are 1K/GS. End of story.
Preaching to the choir with no argument from me on any of this. The "very few" , and I agree, that got CPU'ed to GF seats well great for them. It is what it is.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by nomad420
I think what climmy (and perhaps a few others) are most bothered by are the few GS and 1K that bought coach and get CPU'ed to GF seats when they paid full fare F and didn't even have that as an option. I get the anger/disappointment there. Personally, and I am 1K, I would think they probably have should have made that an option for full fare F ticket purchases but they didn't. I guess as the saying goes, you pay your money and you take your choice. In this case it sounds like some are jumping away from UA to what they perceive is a better product.
I think UA also doesn't want to have to deal with people complaining "I bought a FULL-FARE F ticket because you said I could choose a former GF seat, and now the plane has been swapped and there are no former GF seats anymore!!"
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by physioprof
I think UA also doesn't want to have to deal with people complaining "I bought a FULL-FARE F ticket because you said I could choose a former GF seat, and now the plane has been swapped and there are no former GF seats anymore!!"
Indeed, which is why they stopped selling the Global First cabin in the first place. They stopped treating it as a separate cabin entirely In order to repurpose the O and A booking codes for P+, but you haven't reliably been able to purchase a Polaris First ticket in a long time, specifically because of this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
As a GS, pretty happy with booking full fare Z and selecting seat 1H on ORD-NRT in two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.