Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
As of Feb. 5, only Global Services are able to select FC seats. The ability for 1K to reserve seats was removed. Existing 1K seat selections appear to be kept. In June 2019, the advance access for 1Ks on J/C/D fares was restored. [It appears this is not the case.]

Ex-GlobalFirst seats are selectable for all confirmed business class passengers at check in, even if >24 hrs from flight with GF seats (in the case of positioning flights).

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a pmUA 3-Cabin 777 Version 2
Print Wikipost

3-class F seat now sold as Domestic F/Polaris Bus,GS or J/C/D 1K? may select pre-OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Beware of 1A on the 3-class 772

Unsure if this is a one-off, or a new policy.

As a GS with a D fare, I have had 1A reserved on a 3-class 772 HKG-ORD for two months. Recently, within 24 hours of the flight, I was reseated from 1A to 8G (!), middle of the 8-across J section. I had been watching the flight like a hawk since it became visible on "flight status," and the frame number did not change.

I called GS, and the agent was very apologetic: She said that they had just received a memo that on ultra-long-hauls with augmented crews, the pilots can now have 1A as their designated rest seat (instead of 6A). Anyone in 1A can be moved, regardless of status or fare paid.

Long story short, I was transferred to a GS supervisor who said there was no way I could return to 1A, nor could she move a lower status or lower fare passenger to 8G instead and me back to the (former) F cabin. I resolved the situation when she rerouted me on a different itinerary that had a Polaris 2-cabin 77W.

I have at least four other segments in the future with 1A reserved, and proactively moved them to other seats in the (former) F cabin just in case. It would be good to hear if anyone else encounters this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wxguy

As a GS with a D fare, I have had 1A reserved on a 3-class 772 HKG-ORD for two months. Recently, within 24 hours of the flight, I was reseated from 1A to 8G (!), middle of the 8-across J section. I had been watching the flight like a hawk since it became visible on "flight status," and the frame number did not change.

I called GS, and the agent was very apologetic: She said that they had just received a memo that on ultra-long-hauls with augmented crews, the pilots can now have 1A as their designated rest seat (instead of 6A). Anyone in 1A can be moved, regardless of status or fare paid.

Long story short, I was transferred to a GS supervisor who said there was no way I could return to 1A, nor could she move a lower status or lower fare passenger to 8G instead and me back to the (former) F cabin. I resolved the situation when she rerouted me on a different itinerary that had a Polaris 2-cabin 77W.

I have at least four other segments in the future with 1A reserved, and proactively moved them to other seats in the (former) F cabin just in case. It would be good to hear if anyone else encounters this.
On my flight HKG-ORD on a Polarized 772 last week, the seat for the pilot was 1A. it kind of makes sense that they keep the same seat number for the pilot across the plane types. However, I think that they should give that seat to the pilot on flights where seat 1A has not been reserved already and starting now block that seat from available choices. It's poor form moving a paid passenger at the last minute to a lesser seat. My preferred seat in the 772 with the former First Class is 2K. The problem with that seat is that if they give you a Polarized plane, they give you 2L which is not good. Happened to my wife.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wxguy

Thanks for posting this as I’m in 1A as well in a couple weeks FRA-ORD. I thought that would be the safest seat in case it went to Polaris, hopefully they’d keep me there. But it looks like yet another thing to watch and worry about.
I guess I better change it now before it’s too late?
What would you experts do? Right now old FC is wide open but Business is mostly just the dreaded middle seats.

Edit to add a thought/question: Is the crew rest seat only for TPAC?

Last edited by chavala; Dec 13, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If the cabin is wide open I would take 1K. It smoothly maps to 1L and back in a Polaris swap, and shouldn't get hit by crew rest issues.
chavala likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by findark
If the cabin is wide open I would take 1K. It smoothly maps to 1L and back in a Polaris swap, and shouldn't get hit by crew rest issues.
Good to know -- Thank you!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
Thanks for posting this as I’m in 1A as well in a couple weeks FRA-ORD. I thought that would be the safest seat in case it went to Polaris, hopefully they’d keep me there. But it looks like yet another thing to watch and worry about.
I guess I better change it now before it’s too late?
What would you experts do? Right now old FC is wide open but Business is mostly just the dreaded middle seats.

Edit to add a thought/question: Is the crew rest seat only for TPAC?

There is also a crew rest seat on TATLs. It used to be 6B like for TPACs. But like for TPACs, the pilots often slept in the First Class seats.

chavala likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
There is also a crew rest seat on TATLs. It used to be 6B like for TPACs. But like for TPACs, the pilots often slept in the First Class seats.

[/LEFT]
There should be no danger of a crew rest seat reassignment on a 3-class 777-200 flying SFO-EWR, correct?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
There will be no crew rest, but a small danger of the block being put there if they ever code it correctly (it would then be released at T-60h).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Flying NRT-ORD in a 3-cabin 772 on Monday, I noticed the pilot used seat 1C as the rest seat.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by cranky1K
Flying NRT-ORD in a 3-cabin 772 on Monday, I noticed the pilot used seat 1C as the rest seat.
I''m in 1C and 1H flying to MUC in two weeks. I chose these in case they swap to Polaris and we have the two middle seats where we can chat with each other. Should I be worried of pilot using this? I can always just do 1H and 1K? For some reason I thought pilots in s-UA aircraft used to use 2A for their crew rest? It's been a while since I've flown in the global first seat internationally, usually just biz.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by SkiPremier
I''m in 1C and 1H flying to MUC in two weeks. I chose these in case they swap to Polaris and we have the two middle seats where we can chat with each other. Should I be worried of pilot using this? I can always just do 1H and 1K? For some reason I thought pilots in s-UA aircraft used to use 2A for their crew rest? It's been a while since I've flown in the global first seat internationally, usually just biz.
So now pilots can just grab whatever seat they want at the last minute? Now we have to worry about this on top of all the equipment changes.
Old equipment.
Now Polaris.
Back to old equipment, but this time with PE.
Maybe a pilot will snag your seat at -24 hrs
Markie and SkiPremier like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chavala
So now pilots can just grab whatever seat they want at the last minute? Now we have to worry about this on top of all the equipment changes.
Old equipment.
Now Polaris.
Back to old equipment, but this time with PE.
Maybe a pilot will snag your seat at -24 hrs
Maybe I should considering not flying for the next 3 years until all these things settle. I don't remember ever having to babysit my seats like I have to do now. And I'm talking about 36 years of flying. I started flying so long ago that sometimes I think that I only have started flying 31 years ago, but the real number is 36. At that time I was only flying a flag carrier.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 6:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Maybe I should considering not flying for the next 3 years until all these things settle. ...
It was much this way in the IPTE conversion days also
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was much this way in the IPTE conversion days also
I was not flying UA those days. And when USAirways switched a long time ago to the 1-2-1 configuration in Envoy Class, I was only flying international long hauls one time per year for my vacation and I was younger. So, it was easier. This year, I had to worry about my seat even when I purchased a Business Class fare. Looking forward for when I retire in a few years and only have to take one international long haul per year for my vacation......
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:38 pm

IAD-MUC earlier this week. Day before departure moved from 1A to 1C. It was explained to me too this was because the new pilot rest seat.
This was a non-Polaris 777 with the old GF seats.
Since I wasn't in row 6 and back, it was a change I could live with.
It seemed like 2 of the 3 pilots used the seat while the other preferred the bunk to the left of the forward most lav.
I think, like AA did when they had first in their 777-200, they have access to bunks and F seats.
Now what I'd like to know is 1A is used for shorter flights when there are 3 cockpit crew members.
What happens where 4 are required such as ORD-HKG? The map shows 1A blocked but shouldn't a 2nd old GF seat be blocked?
It looks like they've blocked 6B but I would be surprised if the pilots didn't get 2 GF seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.