Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

777 (all variants) seat map was missing, now back & seat assignments lost!

Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM

Woke up to an e-mail happily informing me I cleared a J waitlist, but the app was unable to cough up the seat map. I thought it might be related to the new app rollout, but nope -- United.com was unable to do so, as well.

Played around with other flights.....and keep getting "the seat map is currently unavailable" no matter what flight I was looking at. Am I alone here?

(Do we add this to the T-shirts we are printing this year? I survived the great seat map outage of 2019!)
wrp96 and chavala like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Had the same issue late last night. Outbound TATL tomorrow is fine, return Friday seatmap not available. Called GS line - they couldnt access either. Agent speculated the aircraft was changing from non Polaris 777-200 to Polaris, which does happen often on this flight (ORD-FRA-ORD). Still shows error message today.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I found a bunch of seat maps not available today...thought they were all 777 variants.
Didn't have any trouble accessing UAX seat maps on the same itinerary.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for the heads up as I became a bit complacent checking my March ORD-FRA-ORD.
Same for me — seat map unavailable.
I’ll have to sleep with my phone under my pillow again hoping for an EF alert.

edit to add: My 1K seat assignment has changed to “select seat”.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
Had the same issue late last night. Outbound TATL tomorrow is fine, return Friday seatmap not available. Called GS line - they couldnt access either. Agent speculated the aircraft was changing from non Polaris 777-200 to Polaris, which does happen often on this flight (ORD-FRA-ORD). Still shows error message today.
One of my flights has the same issue, but only on the 777-200 segment. But this is for next June, so I think maybe they're updating the seat maps for that aircraft in general. I can see all of the other seat maps.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
All my scheduled flights' seatmaps are available but I don't have any 777 flights but a bunch of narrowbodies and 787s (-9, -10).

And we are in the magical weekend (Friday night / Saturday) update period.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
All my scheduled flights' seatmaps are available but I don't have any 777 flights but a bunch of narrowbodies and 787s (-9, -10).
On my multiple reservations it’s just the 777s. Obviously about to change to Polaris?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by chavala

On my multiple reservations its just the 777s. Obviously about to change to Polaris?
I think it is on all 777 types and routes, so probably the switchover point where they are putting up generic maps for all of them to more easily accommodate reconfiguration changes....
I don't think it is a route-specific update to indicate plane swap type of thing...
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Had a similar issue last night for a leg in 2.5 weeks on a 77W. My seat turned into "Select Seat", but I couldn't pull up a seat map, the error was "Reaccommodation Pending - retry later". Checked again a few hours later, the seat map loads and I still have my seat.

Chocked it up to weekend IT work.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
They are up to something with the placeholder 772 seatmap.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by zspitzer
Had a similar issue last night for a leg in 2.5 weeks on a 77W. My seat turned into "Select Seat", but I couldn't pull up a seat map, the error was "Reaccommodation Pending - retry later". Checked again a few hours later, the seat map loads and I still have my seat.

Chocked it up to weekend IT work.
Hopefully, we will still have our seats on the 3-class 772s as both my wife and I have managed to get seats in the former First Class area for a ORD-FRA-ORD at the end of March. This "Select Seat" makes me nervous.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
I'm having that trouble with lots but not all seat maps for 777s for flights from Feb to April. I was having all 777s but most have come back up in the past couple days. The maps for routes that have definitely been Polarized (NRT SFO) are back, as are 773-ERs that prob aren't scheduled for Polarization for a while. Maps for 789s never went away for me.

What troubles me is that on my computer my seat assignment for a mid-Feb NRT IAD flight (in Y) is gone, though it's still there on the app. It's row 20 in a seat that should be a front row wall or a new Premium Plus seat but with the craziness of some planes having a row 19 and some not, I'm afraid I'll end up trapped in a window seat. So now I guess I have to check six times a day in case a row 19 suddenly appears in front of me. Sigh.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I posted this in the interim thread, for my March flights - one of my domestic 777s now shows this (the other one is also inaccessible on 777-200 ORDPVG)

Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The "seatmap is not available" message is very common on weekends as United uses that time to shuffle its fleet and schedule.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Any who expects anything useful from United's IT over the weekend is due for massive disappointment.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The "seatmap is not available" message is very common on weekends as United uses that time to shuffle its fleet and schedule.
Its not very common. Usually by Saturday morning, they have it sorted out.
chavala likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.