Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
My SFO-LHR flight this Sunday just got polarized and I had 2K. I hope this doesn't switch back because now I have 3A.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Happy I found this thread.
Moved us into 20A/B for a couple upcomng TPACs that show this configuration (ORD-PVG in March, and NRT-ORD in April) Fingers crossed.

Interestingly also had 17A/B booked on a 3-4-3 SFO-DEN flight, and during today's schedule change got "reaccomodated" down to row 33 when the sear map switched to this configuration for late March. Put us back into 20A/B

Fingers crossed all these flights we end up with the new PE seat!
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Trying to figure out the best way to handle seating on the 777. Booked on 944 (ORD-FRA) in Dec. and 804 (NRT-IAD) in January. We’re currently booked in ABC seats in E+ on both flights, but wondering if we should change our approach. There will be 3 of us with seats, plus a lap infant.

We’d ideally want to do bassinets (I think UA is supposed to accommodate that, if they can), but not exactly sure how we accomplish that with the seating configuration as is. I believe the bassinet is in row 19 (middle section) on the non-Polaris/PE aircraft. But obviously not showing on the interim seat map. I could try to get us into 20 in the middle section, where I assume there is a bassinet since it would be by the bulkhead, but should the aircraft not get swapped, obviously, that doesn’t really help us for that. Also, since it seems the most recent reports have seen people getting swapped out of 20 anyway, not sure if it makes sense to try and get in there at this point (available on the FRA flight, not on the NRT flight at the moment).

I suppose if we get in PE, the ‘issue' in the middle section will be there will likely be a 4th next to us - not a big deal, but obviously, it would be better if there were just 3 of us in a section (I know…first world problems).

Thoughts on best way to proceed?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Happy I found this thread.
Moved us into 20A/B for a couple upcomng TPACs that show this configuration (ORD-PVG in March, and NRT-ORD in April) Fingers crossed.

Interestingly also had 17A/B booked on a 3-4-3 SFO-DEN flight, and during today's schedule change got "reaccomodated" down to row 33 when the sear map switched to this configuration for late March. Put us back into 20A/B

Fingers crossed all these flights we end up with the new PE seat!
My experience is here: 3 777-200 Aircraft Type Swaps in 1 Day. I am exhausted... - flight went out with the 3-3-3 777.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by username
My experience is here: 3 777-200 Aircraft Type Swaps in 1 Day. I am exhausted... - flight went out with the 3-3-3 777.
So bottom line, even though they made efforts to get these "interim" maps out, everytime there is a swap, you get bumped. whether it be months ahead or hours ahead of flight.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
My SFO-LHR flight this Sunday just got polarized and I had 2K. I hope this doesn't switch back because now I have 3A.
This is such a mess. Now the flight is back to the 3-class 772. UA decided to swap the new plane to the earlier flight and the old configuration to the later one. But whyyyyyyy? Both inbound planes are coming in on time and could serve either of the 2 flights. Now the created a huge mess of everyone on both sold out flights needing new BPs. The lady in the Polaris club was also very frustrated this happens so often for no apparent reasons, but she happily printed me my updated BP.
The only good news is ... I got 2k back automatically. The folks in the Polaris lounge were surprised I did, because usually it is a complete scramble. Perhaps the system remembered I had a GF seat in the first place before UA eliminated F. Either way, my seat is fine, but the gate for both flights will be a complete mess. Good riddance UA.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:13 am

Anybody knows what happens if a someone with a PP seat is upgraded at the gate? Who is getting that seat? Is that now a seperate waiting list/gate judgement/quickest person on the app?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Any reports on whether those in valid seats in rows 20-22 were able to keep their seat assignments on the new configuration with PP? Reports above seem to vary, and it's unclear if status has a bearing (I'm not GS or 1K, just a lowly Gold). I'm flying IAD-BRU-IAD in a couple of days - outbound flight was just Polarized, was automatically moved from 7H to 4D (managed to grab 5L, looking forward to finally trying out the new seats). Return flight is too far out for an aircraft assignment, but I do currently have 22G. Seems like IAD-BRU is almost 50/50 for new vs old config, so I know there's a decent chance I could still end up with the old config anyway.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by chleonard
Any reports on whether those in valid seats in rows 20-22 were able to keep their seat assignments on the new configuration with PP? Reports above seem to vary, and it's unclear if status has a bearing (I'm not GS or 1K, just a lowly Gold). I'm flying IAD-BRU-IAD in a couple of days - outbound flight was just Polarized, was automatically moved from 7H to 4D (managed to grab 5L, looking forward to finally trying out the new seats). Return flight is too far out for an aircraft assignment, but I do currently have 22G. Seems like IAD-BRU is almost 50/50 for new vs old config, so I know there's a decent chance I could still end up with the old config anyway.
I was able to maintain my bulkhead seats for both flights where the seat map converted to PE without problem. At the time I was MM/Plat.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Observation on 772ER PMUA retrofit

FWIW....UNITED FLEET on GOOGLE DOC
https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking
(scroll down and click on 772 tab)
shows 20 planes with the old PMUA config (v1 772 on UA seat map) flying and 9 with the new Polaris/PE config and none with Polaris but no PE. (not shown on UA seat map)
More specifically it shows 24 772ER with the old PMUA config/v1 of 8F/40BF/113E+/108Y= 269 chairs with 4 at XMIN (CHINA) for Polaris/PE retrofit=20 birds flying
and 9 772ER with the new Polaris/PE mods with 50BF/24PE/46E+/156Y = 276 chairs
The never seen v5 config (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx) had 292 chairs! (50 BF/80E+/162Y)

So the subtraction of 16 seats (292-276) comes from the 3 PE rows having 8 seats vs 10 (-6) and the extra PE PITCH and extra bulkhead separating PE from E+ meaning 1 row of 10 seats goes away
which gets them from 292 to 276 seats. I assume Mr Kirby feels they will make the seat decrease up with PE increased pricing (+24 PE seats $$$$ > 40 (34E+ + 6Y) seat $$$$
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Have 2A EWR-FRA on Thursday - I think since the old GF is going I hope the plane doesn't change for nostalgia. We've lost GF and the 744's in a year - a lot of memories. Going forward things will be good with the Polaris Cabin except the FA's aren't happy with smaller galleys where pax cross over. Wish everyone could be happy....
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:44 am

Anyone have any insight into the inventory policy on the the 772ER when flown domestically before a frame is assigned? Of course the Polaris birds have more seats than the 3-class config does. Will they oversell a 3-class? I presume they oversell the interim map, since it has fewer seats than any actual config.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by prometa
Anyone have any insight into the inventory policy on the the 772ER when flown domestically before a frame is assigned? Of course the Polaris birds have more seats than the 3-class config does. Will they oversell a 3-class? I presume they oversell the interim map, since it has fewer seats than any actual config.
If I recall from the 77H to 77G days, they will treat it as having inventory equal to the smallest number of seats which could fly, but still oversell that like normal (and maybe more than normal). Inventory management in Y is pretty opaque so there's a lot of guesswork there.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Just got aircraft assigned and was kicked out of my 21G interim seatmap assignment overnight into 33J on a polarized bird with PE. The whole of E+ seems to be full
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by expressboy
Just got aircraft assigned and was kicked out of my 21G interim seatmap assignment overnight into 33J on a polarized bird with PE. The whole of E+ seems to be full
Yeah, the problem is there are only about half the number of E+ seats on the Polarized planes, meaning a good chunk of people will lose E+ when there's a swap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.