Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by whitethunder
anyone book a 77W and choose rows 19,20,21 (where it is booked as a 2 person row) then when flying it was just a regular 77W plane and had their seat assignment moved?? Just curious to what seats they would move you too since PP is actually is 20,21,22 (just curious as I fly SFO-HKG next thurs and was wondering if I should just choose a reg E+ seat)

THANKS
What did you end up doing? I'm currently booked into a row 19 window seat on an early February flight EWR-NRT. There are a few middle seats in 20 and 21 available, I'm not sure if I should go ahead and take one? I'm only silver status.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No-one knows and no amount of guess work is going to be able to find it out. There are lots of different tales of who/how/where they got bumped but there is no definitive answer. I am not even sure is is worth speculating upon. My "strategy" is to start watching my flight about a week out - and even then I think that is over-egging it - but at T-72 I am watching it like a hawk to try and react to anything I may find unpleasant. And then pray.
the route that I'm on is operated by 777-300ER... pretty sure UA has less than 20 of that type in its fleet.

I've been looking at the seat map for the flight for the last coupel of weeks. in the booking system, it always shows 2-4-2 with 19 being the first row. However, as soon as the flight shows up in UA's flight status page(T-72), it always become 2-4-2 with row 20 being the bulkhead) Does that mean people in those 3 row always get moved around on a daily basis?)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by geometry
the route that I'm on is operated by 777-300ER... pretty sure UA has less than 20 of that type in its fleet.

I've been looking at the seat map for the flight for the last coupel of weeks. in the booking system, it always shows 2-4-2 with 19 being the first row. However, as soon as the flight shows up in UA's flight status page(T-72), it always become 2-4-2 with row 20 being the bulkhead) Does that mean people in those 3 row always get moved around on a daily basis?)
So the flight I am on is operated with 777-200 where 20 is the bulkhead row. Every time I have been put into P+ I have kept the same seat of row 20, aisle, bulkhead. I have no experience of the 777-300ER switch. Sorry.
pbartp likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by geometry

I'm dealing with the same situation! If 19 becomes 20, I'd rather keep my current seat. If not, there are 4 middle seats available in 20 and 21 that I could switch into. For now I'm just stalking the seating chart and planning to react to any unpleasant changes...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by danico216
I'm dealing with the same situation! If 19 becomes 20, I'd rather keep my current seat. If not, there are 4 middle seats available in 20 and 21 that I could switch into. For now I'm just stalking the seating chart and planning to react to any unpleasant changes...
I was in 19A and got shifted to 20B when my 777-300ER got Polarized. I'm Plat, so doubt it was status related, but based on other reports, it's kind of a crapshoot at this point.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:40 am

United - Economy+

I have recently booked a flight for SFO to LHR in April in Economy Plus on a 777-200. When I looked at the seat map, the whole column of F on Economy+ have been reserved. That is odd given column F is a middle seat even though most of the economy plus section is opened. When I called United to see what gives, the agent told me the plane is being reconfigured [?]. Has any one experienced that? I am thinking of booking the aisle seat (E) next to the seat being reconfigured. Will that be a smart move or will that be mistake?.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
No version of a 777 is E an aisle seat, FYI
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wong8888
I have recently booked a flight for SFO to LHR in April in Economy Plus on a 777-200. When I looked at the seat map, the whole column of F on Economy+ have been reserved. That is odd given column F is a middle seat even though most of the economy plus section is opened. When I called United to see what gives, the agent told me the plane is being reconfigured [?]. Has any one experienced that? I am thinking of booking the aisle seat (E) next to the seat being reconfigured. Will that be a smart move or will that be mistake?.
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the United threads!

What you are seeing is just a seat map for if your flight gets switched to a Polarized 772. in the original 777-200, Economy Class is 3-3-3 seating. In the Polarized seat map, Economy Class is 3-4-3 so they add that empty column of F seats. What plane you end up getting is announced about 60 hours before your flight but it can change until the last minute.

You have to read this thread to get more information: " Interim 772 seat map with Polaris & potentially Premium Economy (2018)".
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
See the 777 reconfiguration thread.

UA is re-configuring all economy seats on this aircraft from 3-3-3 to 3-4-3. 3 rows at the front of economy will be sold as Premium Plus (Premium Economy) and will be in a 2-4-2 configuration.

until enough aircraft are converted to use on specific flights/routes, UA has put in a modified seatmap that reflects seats that are offered on both the current and new versions, to avoid too many headaches depending on which aircraft you get on the day you are flying. So they are only allowing pre-selection of ABC, DEG and HJK seats, to avoid too many seating changes. The F seats, if you get a version that is 3-4-3, will show up on the seatmap sometime about 2 days before departure. Also watch out for seating switches at this time - since row numbering is different, and there are fewer E+ seats in the new version, so if you booked one, you may need to be moved to stay in E+.

In my trip I just returned from, I was booked in 24 ABC, and moved to 33 when we were assigned a new aircraft. I moved that to 20DEG (Premium Plus bulkhead) since they were open and I wanted to try the new seats. When our aircraft switched back to the old version, we once again were moved to 19DEF, the bulkhead in the old E+ cabin. On the return, yesterday, we got the new aircraft, and I was moved from seats in row 23 to the same ones in row 32. Since I again saw the premium plus seats available, I moved to 20. Since we kept the aircraft, that where we sat.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:55 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by wong8888
Welcome to FT wong8888 - I've merged your thread with this one. If you review the earlier posts (or the wikipost at the top of the page) you'll see how UA's playing the reconfiguration of their 772s and what this means for the seatmap.

Safe Travels,

J.Edward
UA forum co-moderator
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Slightly off-topic, my flight this weekend is showing a 3-class 772 seat map, but asserts that it will be operated by aircraft #2791 aka N791UA -- which is a Polaris and PE 772. Every other flight in the chain (looking at flight status) shows the new seatmap. Curious to see when they change/update it (or reassign aircraft of course) - currently in 6K, was hoping for a final ride in the old F seat, let's see what I end up in. Haven't tried one of the angled Polaris seats yet, so maybe that should be the goal.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cricketer
....Curious to see when they change/update it (or reassign aircraft of course) ....
It seems to happen 60-48 hours beoredeparture, around midnight Chicago time -- but it can always change until you depart.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It seems to happen 60-48 hours beoredeparture, around midnight Chicago time -- but it can always change until you depart.
Spot on. Looked shortly after 10pm PST, and it had updated. My 6K turned into 15L - really wish we could see the mappings. My return flight at the end of the week has me in 1A in the old F right now, but looks like that one change as well. How sad!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by cricketer
Spot on. Looked shortly after 10pm PST, and it had updated. My 6K turned into 15L - really wish we could see the mappings. My return flight at the end of the week has me in 1A in the old F right now, but looks like that one change as well. How sad!
And I woke up this morning to find that I'm now in 10K after another swap. The Polaris aircraft is heading to ORD tonight, spending 24 hours on the ground, and we got downgraded back to the IPTE config (or upgraded for those who got put back in row 1/2).

Now why the mappings work differently in reverse, who knows? 6K --> 15L --> 10K doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Whole "Column" of Center Seats Blocked?

I'm flying SFO-LHR in E- on a 772 in July. It's 3-4-3 and the seat map shows all letter "F" seats (one of the two middle seats in the middle section) as "occupied or unavailable."

I'm going Basic Economy. (I know, I know...but I'll only have a carryon and even after paying to seat select I'm saving enough to make it worth it.) Anyway, at first I was getting the seat map by going in through "My Trips," which means I'd show up as BE, so I thought maybe the blocking was a sneaky way of keeping BE families of four from sitting together. But I see the same thing even when looking at the seat map when just doing a flight search, and even for other days.

Obviously, I don't actually want to sit in a middle seat, but I'm just curious as to why they'd do this. Any ideas? Surely they can't be trying to keep the center section from being too crowded, can they?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2019 at 10:02 pm Reason: moved to consolidated thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.