Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
I have been on 340 3 times in the last month, on 3 different configurations ( Premium Plus, old UA, and Domestic 3-4-3) and at least two of them had multiple plane swaps before the day of departure. So I would say you should have zero confidence that this plane will look like this in a month.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billygreg
I have been on 340 3 times in the last month, on 3 different configurations ( Premium Plus, old UA, and Domestic 3-4-3) and at least two of them had multiple plane swaps before the day of departure. So I would say you should have zero confidence that this plane will look like this in a month.
What amazes me about those swaps is the difference in the number of C seats between the domestic and the two into-configurations, that would seem to cause problems.

As a 1K do I have any hope of better reassigned seats in a swap, or is it a "computer assigns what's left" situation?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Irish93DCA
What amazes me about those swaps is the difference in the number of C seats between the domestic and the two into-configurations, that would seem to cause problems.

As a 1K do I have any hope of better reassigned seats in a swap, or is it a "computer assigns what's left" situation?
I've dealt with this swap multiple times in the past months.

If you sit near the front, you're more likely to keep your assigned seat. Status does not matter. It's "what's left" and basically "what matches" when the frame switches.

I've been on SFO-IAD multiple times when it switches from 60J to 48J (My numbers may be off; sorry). There are tons of upset people, literally tons. They find out at the gate. and start arguing why they're not seated in business and why they need to go to E+/E- middle seats. It's a horrible way to deal with it, puts all the pressure on the gate agents, when corporate could be calling people ahead of time. And of course SFO-IAD flights later are all booked full in business.

My advice? Sign up for text alerts. You'll get an alert very quickly when the frame switches and if you are aware, you can snag better seats each and every time (bulkhead E+, aisle J, window J, non across 4 J, literally every type of seat becomes available when the frame switches).
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The standard swap is from Polaris to sUA 772s, which is a decrease of 2 J seats. They block those two seats from inventory until the gate, so a situation where the forward cabin is overbooked should be very rare. A 77G swap (48J to 28J) would do it, but I have almost never seen that on 340.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Not necessarily. Some passengers have kept the same seat number. Some passengers have found themselves in Row 32 or any other row. You can only hope that if they changed your seat that your original seat number is still available and you can switch back.
I lost my Premium Plus seat. And checked as soon as it switched.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Based on this thread and a strong suspicion that my GPU won't clear, I just moved myself from 28K to 22K on UA 106 (IAD-MUC) on June 14th. :fingers crossed:

ETA: The flight status for this flight currently indicates that we'll be on a 738 ... which would indeed be an impressive improvement in range for this aircraft. Is this standard for flights with this interim 77x seatmap? (EETA: Apparently, 738 is just a default, as I see it on every other instance.)

Last edited by iapetus; Apr 29, 2019 at 2:51 pm Reason: Answering own question
Old May 15, 2019, 9:55 am

SFO-LHR chance of real polaris?

I'm flying UA 930 SFO-LHR on July 6 in biz and I have a slightly different seat map from the one in the wiki (see below). What are the chances that I end up with a swap to a real polaris product? Looking at the same flight in the next few days, it appears to still have the old config in biz.

seat map
Old May 26, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Mileageplus
Originally Posted by FeiTaipei

Thanks I’m actually flying a 777-300ER and either I’m getting PP aircraft or the regular non PP one. I bought a seat in row 20 hoping it sticks if and when the aircraft swap happens and I got a PP aircraft. If not, I guess I could be booted even to a E- seat, which I think I would call to ask what my options are.

Has anyone tried getting a refund of an E+ purchase for an aircraft swap and you don’t like your seat assignment (say it’s not in the mini cabin and there aren’t any more seats there) and you don’t like any of the other E+ seats available, could you get put in regular E- and get a refund for paying for E+? Or if the new seat you want costs more, could they assign it to you with no extra charge due to an equipment swap? I guess it depends on what agent you get on the phone. I’ve had it happen to me for IRROPS and my flight was completely cancelled, they gave me E+ the entire way without changing extra (see post #320 on this forum for the whole story https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...merged-22.html )
Thought I updated everyone.. A bit late of an update but I ended up changing my SNA-SFO flight for free since the connection was tight (over the phone w/ agent) and consequently I did get a chance to select a cheaper E+ seat for SFO-TPE and submit a refund for the original, more expensive seat (which I got). I then called to get a seat change and i guess YMMV but I first got a window emergency exit seat they blocked (row 45?). I then called again and said I didn't want the Exit row and they gave me 22K for free. So I got PE for around $129 (there was a sale I guess). Yay!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
United flight 850 PEK ORD February 27, Can someone look at the seat map in economy plus are those blocked seats in the front rows of E+, or are those crew rest seating that's available. Confused because I haven't seen this configuration in such a long time
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
United flight 850 PEK ORD February 27, Can someone look at the seat map in economy plus are those blocked seats in the front rows of E+, or are those crew rest seating that's available. Confused because I haven't seen this configuration in such a long time
It is the interim seat map for a flight that doesn't sell O/A/R but may get a P+ aircraft.

Picture:
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks, I saw that but the seating map that comes up on my app is quite different for that specific flight there's block seats in the early rows and not showing as diagrammed above

I flew the same flight a few months back, the aircraft was really old, but the seating configuration on the map for seat selection at that time looked different than the one that showing.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks, I saw that but the seating map that comes up on my app is quite different for that specific flight there's block seats in the early rows and not showing as diagrammed above

I flew the same flight a few months back, the aircraft was really old, but the seating configuration on the map for seat selection at that time looked different than the one that showing.
Yes, the app displays rows 20-22 differently.

There is no actual aircraft configured this way, though — the blocks are just used to preserve assignments as best as possible when converting to the assigned configuration.

The actual configurations possible are versions 1 (48/221) and 5 (50/226) on this page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...t/777-200.html. It will be assigned about 3 days before the flight.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.