Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I would believe the UA map. Seat guru has been wrong for some time about the United planes, especially with the conversions to Polaris.

Yes, you are on a Polarized plane with the new Premium Plus seats.
Thank you. Might have to look for an alternative to seat guru. Good to know seat guru isn't reliable - for a long time, I thought it was the gospel truth!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jjay
Thank you. Might have to look for an alternative to seat guru. Good to know seat guru isn't reliable - for a long time, I thought it was the gospel truth!
I added some information after you replied.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
UA896 - HKG - ORD on 12/10 appears to have been swapped to a 772 v5 (N799UA) coming directly out of retrofit in XMN to HKG for the flight.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond
Another Polarized 777-200 leaves XMIN for HKG on 12/10/18 (N799UA) and will fly US896 same day HKG-ORD.
The incoming metal is headed to XMIN for Polaris/PE/10 across in Y retrofits.
(i did not see same0717 comment before i posted this)

Last edited by cos999; Dec 9, 2018 at 8:44 pm Reason: spelling mistake
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: United Gold, Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
There is no PE cabin from an inventory perspective on the flight; all seats are sold as Economy. I currently see every seat in rows 19-21 on UA989 tomorrow as assigned. There have indeed been reports that they are deliberately choosing who gets the seats in the case of a frame swap.
Can also confirm that in the case of an actual swamp from standard 777-200 to the retrofitted 777-200 with Premium+, higher status reservations (i.e. 1K) move automatically (& immediately) into the Premium+ seats while Silver members simply get moved into standard Economy+. To note, for the original 777-200 seatmaps with placeholders in the first 3 rows, there's still a lot of seat assignment swaps to make sure that people booked into Economy+ still get those seats once the retrofit 777-200 is confirmed.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Can also confirm that in the case of an actual swamp from standard 777-200 to the retrofitted 777-200 with Premium+, higher status reservations (i.e. 1K) move automatically (& immediately) into the Premium+ seats while Silver members simply get moved into standard Economy+. To note, for the original 777-200 seatmaps with placeholders in the first 3 rows, there's still a lot of seat assignment swaps to make sure that people booked into Economy+ still get those seats once the retrofit 777-200 is confirmed.
On what data/facts can you confirm this please?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Gold, Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
On what data/facts can you confirm this please?
Sure. I meant to say that this was only in my experience.
This was what happened with our upcoming ORD-FRA flight this Friday:

Seat Changes due to Retrofitted Swap
12/14/18 ORD-FRA
(4 seats)
777-200 -> N788UA #2888

1K Status
Original: Economy+: 26A & 26D (3rd to last row in Economy+ section)
Changed to 22A & 22D (Last row of Premium+ section - 3 rows)

Silver Status
Original: Economy+ 26B & 26C (3rd to last row in Economy+ section)
Changed to 32F & 32G (3rd row of front Economy+ section)

This change to a retrofitted 772 happened overnight 3x days before departure, the higher status made it into Premier+ seats automatically and the computer even took consideration of the original arrangement of window/aisle seat assignments during the seat swaps.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by CollegeFlyer; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:04 pm
Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Well, if this is the price point then P+ is not on my horizon once it goes on sale (June 1-7, LHR-SFO-LHR):

Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak Select
Just a note to followup on my experience in case it's informative to other people. My automated seat swap was from 21K to 31L. 31L being an E+ bulkhead window. I would have been less upset initially had I realized that, but the seat map didn't make it clear that the seat was E+ much less a bulkhead.

At the airport, I inquired about how they were assigning premium plus seats and didn't really get an answer. At check in, the agent said she didn't know. At the gate, the agent first said it was treated as E+ and "those people paid for those seats." I gave her my boarding pass and she sort of huffed and said she would add me to a list but that there were several people ahead of me (she pointed to a hand-written list she was keeping). I expected her to say the seats were being kept for 1K/GS, but she didn't.

Of course, I didn't make it off her list tough. That said, I sort of regret spending the time thinking about it/calling. The new seats didn't seem that much better than the E+ bulkhead from my quick in-person glance at them.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Was the implication that there were unassigned PE seats at the gate? I thought that it would still be treated as E+ and the scramble is what is messing with people.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amtrak Select
Good point. A detail I forgot to mention: there was a blue premium plus seat when I looked at the map at the check in desk. I tried to select it, but wasn't able to. That is, I thought I could, but then it wouldn't confirm it (the same way as if I tried to select the old global first seats when booked in polaris now: it seems like it works and then it just reverts back to the old seat assignment). The agent at check in said she couldn't select it either but didn't know why. She suggested I check at the gate. The seat was gone on the map by the time I got to the gate, but there were still several seats open up front, so I assumed that premium plus seats would open up as folks were upgraded.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Well, I can confirm that as a platinum with a seat assignment in the first row of E+ on a non Polarized 772, I was kicked back to the last E+ row when our a/c was swapped. Fortunately I was able to reclaim my frst row seat, but I wasn't the least bit surprised that my platinum/1MM status meant nothing to UA.
pbartp likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
So if I select PE seats SFO-ORD on the 777-300ER...and the map clearly shows PE seats...will I still get kicked out even if there is no aircraft swap just cause I am Gold ??

2nd question: I am actually in ORD...I can skip the direct ORD-HKG flight and fly to SFO to get on the 777300ER with confirmed PE seating (same price)...do you think this extra step is worth it to be confirmed in PE for the 15 hour leg SFO-HKG, versus winging it on ORD-HKG direct in regular Economy+???

Last edited by Winkdaddy; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:44 pm Reason: adding content
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:38 pm

Hi. I am flying LHR-SFO on Tuesday. I have an economy saver award ticket. There looks to be business saver award availability on the earlier flight because the earlier flight appears to be Polarized. Mine, sadly, has not been. Do you think United would allow me to switch to the earlier flight and then upgrade? If so, is there still a chance that the plane may go back to a non-Polarized version? If so, I am less inclined to switch because I could end up in a middle seat. Plus, I really only like to spend cash or miles on the true Polaris seats. Thanks!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Do you think United would allow me to switch to the earlier flight and then upgrade? If so, is there still a chance that the plane may go back to a non-Polarized version? If so, I am less inclined to switch because I could end up in a middle seat. Plus, I really only like to spend cash or miles on the true Polaris seats. Thanks!
Yes, provided you pay the change fee ($0-$125, depending upon status), increased Air Passenger Duty, and the extra miles.

And, yes, there's always a chance it will change back. That's likely to be the reality of traveling United over the next couple of years as they upgrade the fleet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.