Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SF_DUKE

Update - The computer reassigned my seats out of PE even though my seat number existed. Called CS and the PE seats are blocked out for assignment. Appears the computer reassigned GS and 1Ks to Rows 20-22 and bumped Plats and lower out of the section. Any open PE assignments are under airport gate control.

Summary - No PE experience if you are a Plat and hold original seating in the mini-cabin. Was looking forward to trying the new hard product and disappointed they are treating PE only to GS and 1Ks.

Well, my flight on Saturday now has the new PP cabin. I had grabbed a seat in row 20 (bulkhead) on the old interim seating chart, which exists in PP. Now I am in 31, on a different letter! 31 is not bulkhead.

I called and 1K agent said she did not know the algorithm and all the PP seats are taken, not blocked. The change occurred in the middle of the night so I doubt everyone checked and moved themselves.

The ticket was pretty cheap - not Light Fare though. I guess somehow the re-assign algorithm does not think I am good enough to be in PP and was too lazy to find seats for people in the old row 30 to keep me in bulkhead?

Last edited by username; Nov 15, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
@username that is very interesting and I assume that you are a 1K. What fare class were you? And I wonder if it is an "elite" heavy route and you were out of luck due to that. I think someone might have explained how they apply the seat assignment but don't have time to trawl this thread or the others. I'd be a little upset if that happened to me too so you have my sympathy for whatever that is worth.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the Saturday before Thanksgiving leaving the US so I am not sure how heavily elite the flight is. I think something is wrong with the seat re-assignment logic.

I am hoping maybe it gave priority to those waiting for a GPU. My fare was not GPU-eligible.

Prior to the changes, there were a decent number of seats open in Y+ but now none. However, the last few rows in Y are wide open.

I guess my only hope is people in better seats in Y or PP get upgraded to J.

Last edited by username; Nov 15, 2018 at 1:14 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by username
This is the Saturday before Thanksgiving so I am not sure how heavily elite the flight is. I think something is wrong with the seat re-assignment logic.

I am hoping maybe it gave priority to those waiting for a GPU. My fare was not GPU-eligible.

Prior to the changes, there were a decent number of seats open in Y+ but now none. However, the last few rows in Y are wide open.

This now makes me wonder whether I should just select an E+ seat that would not be a premium economy one if a plane with one is assigned to my flight.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

There are substantially fewer E+ seats on the reconfigured 772, and more E-. Or at least with E- they block the last few rows (they don't show on interim seat map) so those seats become "available".
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
There are substantially fewer E+ seats on the reconfigured 772, and more E-. Or at least with E- they block the last few rows (they don't show on interim seat map) so those seats become "available".
Thanks. Now only if we can figure out how I lost my bulkhead seat - there is 1 bulkhead row with the same number of seats in the first Y+ zone on both configurations...

Originally Posted by gusd
This now makes me wonder whether I should just select an E+ seat that would not be a premium economy one if a plane with one is assigned to my flight.
According to what drewguy said above, that might not be a good idea either as there are fewer E+ rows on the 777-200s with Polaris and PP.

Last edited by username; Nov 15, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
How do I tell if a 777-200 has been retrofitted for Premium Economy?

I will be on 777-200 from EWR to HKG tomorrow and looks like my upgrade with GPU will not clear. I had chosen E+ but don’t know if that seat is now PE or not. Thanks in advance
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like you don't. If you do, it will be obvious - 20, 21, 22 will have 2+4+2 and then it jumps to 30/31.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Looks like you don't. If you do, it will be obvious - 20, 21, 22 will have 2+4+2 and then it jumps to 30/31.
I see, thanks. It’s definitely not 2+4+2
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sapguy

I see, thanks. It’s definitely not 2+4+2
For some reason, I thought that you could only get PE on planes that have been polarized. Your flight EWR-HKG is served by the 772s that come from the Continental side. They have 2-2-2 Business configuration. So, you will not see PE seats until they start Polarizing those planes.

The discussion here is still about the 772s that originally have the 2-4-2 configuration in Business. Those planes are in the process of Polarization right now (to 1-2-1 configuration in Business). The ones that are already Polarized got the 3rows of PE seats.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cricketer
You'll be wanting this thread - Interim 772 Seat Map

This is a placeholder for in case you get premium economy on your flight. Choose rows 20-22 and keep your fingers crossed.
Well, this worked out well for me. Wound up with Premium Economy, and then all four of us got upgraded to biz. Which is proving to be a problem, because Cricketer Jr now wants to be downgraded to get her window seat back...
Old Nov 23, 2018, 7:03 am

Booked what is supposedly this configuration in biz: ORD-PEK out, PVG-ORD back in. When I booked it, it showed that the old GF seats are available, but when I try selecting it nothing happens. I called in and the rep said the same thing, and when she escalated it sounded like they were blocked out for all members including GS (I'm currently Plat). The rest of the PE/E seats follow the same pattern above.

1) these flights are for April/early May. What would be my chances of being on a Polaris-configured 772 by that point?

2) If, by flight time, it stays in the old 772 config, would it be possible for me to grab the old GF seats?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by slowreactor
Booked what is supposedly this configuration in biz: ORD-PEK out, PVG-ORD back in. When I booked it, it showed that the old GF seats are available, but when I try selecting it nothing happens. I called in and the rep said the same thing, and when she escalated it sounded like they were blocked out for all members including GS (I'm currently Plat). The rest of the PE/E seats follow the same pattern above.

1) these flights are for April/early May. What would be my chances of being on a Polaris-configured 772 by that point? ...
Probably more likely than not. But it is expected to take much of 2019 before the 3-class 772s are gone.

2) If, by flight time, it stays in the old 772 config, would it be possible for me to grab the old GF seats?
For Plat, low -- GS and 1Ks have initial access and reports the seats disappear quickly
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...le-1k-gss.html
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

1) these flights are for April/early May. What would be my chances of being on a Polaris-configured 772 by that point?
I guess that the probability is very high. Currently, ORD-PVG is around 50% or better.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu

I guess that the probability is very high. Currently, ORD-PVG is around 50% or better.
Can you tell me what you're using to determine that (I'd also like to check how ORD-PEK looks)?

I'm also looking at the United fleet website to see which planes are currently being worked on, but I'm not sure if there's also a way to see the rough rate of conversion of the 772s from when it started?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.