Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
A followup as the second flight did indeed have the new PE layout.

The bulkhead has significantly more legroom than rows 21 and 22 however pax, to some extent, treat the area as a walk through which would be an annoyance to me. Aside from the side seat storage area with socket/audio jack there is a generous behind seat pocket for rows 21 and 22. Interior seats for these last 2 rows would find access/egress difficult without aisles seat pax getting up first.

The folding flap on the tray table is 6"x6" and worked nicely as a backing for watching videos on my phone. There is an anti-slip groove just below this flap which serves efficiently to grab the device. On the first flight the flap was easy to move and would not have help up under even a phone's mass however the second flight's seat worked well.

Finally aisle seat armrests can be lowered by pulling a lever just below the armrest though I'm a loss to understand when that would a desirable thing to do. Also, screen resolution and controls are very nice.

I have not had the time to compile pics yet.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
I have searched the web but haven’t been able to find the answer. Does anybody know how many 777-200 Version 1 are in use? Trying to determine how likely it is that we will have the 2-4-2 configuration in J. Update! The number stands at 21 which is quite sizable.

Considering ANA to Narita from SFO but understand that Haneda is far more convenient to Tokyo.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dsquared37

Finally aisle seat armrests can be lowered by pulling a lever just below the armrest though I'm a loss to understand when that would a desirable thing to do.
I believe that's a common thing (or can be raised) in order to enhance access/egress for passengers with limited mobility.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by janehoya
I have searched the web but haven’t been able to find the answer. Does anybody know how many 777-200 Version 1 are in use? Trying to determine how likely it is that we will have the 2-4-2 configuration in J. Update! The number stands at 21 which is quite sizable..
from a couple days ago
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Check 2 days before travel -- until then UA will most likely to continue to show the present seatmap
However, there is always the chance of last-minute swaps

Old 3-class aircraft (your route) are the most susceptible to swaps
9 modified
3 in the shop
20 unmodified
speculation is it will take another 12-15 months to finish
Use https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/ (maintain by FT volunteer) to track yourself
Old Nov 4, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by janehoya
I have searched the web but haven’t been able to find the answer. Does anybody know how many 777-200 Version 1 are in use? Trying to determine how likely it is that we will have the 2-4-2 configuration in J. Update! The number stands at 21 which is quite sizable.

With 7 active with Polaris/P+ and 21 with IPTE you have a 75% chance of getting an old config...if they are evenly spread on all routes. Some routes seem to get the new config more frequently.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Flew on ship #2786 yesterday in Premium Plus. Even though that aircraft has PE and had been assigned to my route 4-5 days before, the seat map didn't display it correctly until about 2 days out. I was traveling with my family so my Gold spouse took 21D and G on the interim seat map at booking. I had no trouble picking 21F at check-in. When checking my bag I could see the ticket agent's screen, which unlike the website, had those seats in purple. That cabin went out with 2 empty seats. Even the FAs were puzzled about the headphone jack. While there have been many reviews and reports on the product, it was fun to try out but personally I probably wouldn't pay for it assuming it is priced somewhere between E+ and a Polaris buy-up at check-in.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
A followup as the second flight did indeed have the new PE layout.

The bulkhead has significantly more legroom than rows 21 and 22 however pax, to some extent, treat the area as a walk through which would be an annoyance to me. Aside from the side seat storage area with socket/audio jack there is a generous behind seat pocket for rows 21 and 22. Interior seats for these last 2 rows would find access/egress difficult without aisles seat pax getting up first.

The folding flap on the tray table is 6"x6" and worked nicely as a backing for watching videos on my phone. There is an anti-slip groove just below this flap which serves efficiently to grab the device. On the first flight the flap was easy to move and would not have help up under even a phone's mass however the second flight's seat worked well.

Finally aisle seat armrests can be lowered by pulling a lever just below the armrest though I'm a loss to understand when that would a desirable thing to do. Also, screen resolution and controls are very nice.

I have not had the time to compile pics yet.
thx for this review.

my Upcoming flight (+/- 48 hours out) just loaded the PE seatmap, and my 20A/B seat assignments are intact.

question: do pax treat the space in front of 20 AB as congregation area similar to the pass through area in front of the middle seats?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by NightTripper

thx for this review.

my Upcoming flight (+/- 48 hours out) just loaded the PE seatmap, and my 20A/B seat assignments are intact.

question: do pax treat the space in front of 20 AB as congregation area similar to the pass through area in front of the middle seats?
No, 20 A/B and K/L (?) are inviolate and far and away the best of the PE lot. It's not that pax congregate in front of row 20, after all this is a bulkhead, it just that they treat the middle seats as a passage between aisles 1 and 2 in lieu of backtracking down the aisle from whence they came.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
What I didn't like about my new experience of Premium Plus is that there seems to be an issue with the toilets in the middle of the plane and they cannot operate below 16000ft. The FA said that this was true on all the refitted PP planes and not just a fault with this one. Is that true? It seems a massive oversight if so and I did not debate the point and used the Polaris toilet instead.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by atword
With 7 active with Polaris/P+ and 21 with IPTE you have a 75% chance of getting an old config...if they are evenly spread on all routes. Some routes seem to get the new config more frequently.
I’m 4/4 last two RT from ORD to PVG. Guess I should have bought lottery tickets.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atword
I followed a plane the other day on the App and it seemed it did the long Asian routes + TLV and BOM. So, it seems TATL, even from the west coast, is out of luck...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: United 1K, Southwest Companion, Marriott Platinum Premier, National Executive
ORD-NRT on 11/9 swapped to #2786 at T-26. Snagged 22K. interested to see how it compares
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, Frontier 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Have been following this thread for a while and had booked 20A/B for IAD to LHR last night. At T-48 the placeholder seat chart was replaced with the new configuration. Our seats held and we are now spoiled/spoilt. These bulkhead seats are actually about x2 the square inches/ cm of E- in that plane and about x1.75 of E+. Really wide with wide arm rests and about a 45-48 inch pitch. The 10 wide in the back looked depressing and I never went farther back than E+! The lavs are an issue. You have to go back to between E+ and E- and I only saw two. Always busy and a line. Inadequate for all the pax in front of them. Again, I never went all the way to the back of the plane to see those. So, Premium Plus are excellent seats in a nice little cabin. They are particularly attractive given the seeming new packed in nature of E+ on that plane. I hope they don’t cost too much ‘cause mama ain’t never going back.

Actually, next time I would book one row back from the bulkhead. I could not stretch out my left leg because there was no seat in front. Also, the leg rest does not really work there and there are no foot rests. Last the in arm IFE gets in the way of moving around. Having it on the seat back in front of you would work better.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
Actually, next time I would book one row back from the bulkhead. I could not stretch out my left leg because there was no seat in front. Also, the leg rest does not really work there and there are no foot rests. Last the in arm IFE gets in the way of moving around. Having it on the seat back in front of you would work better.
There is not a ton of foot room in row 21 and we found it difficult to even store a backpack under the seat in front due to low clearance. The footrest worked for my 5'0 spouse but not me at 6'1. Another thing I noticed was an upgraded map view on the very nice screens where you could pinch and zoom, etc. It seemed to be in an Android environment because the three buttons would pop up if you swipe up from the bottom in the map app only.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by username
I followed a plane the other day on the App and it seemed it did the long Asian routes + TLV and BOM. So, it seems TATL, even from the west coast, is out of luck...
I followed ORD-HKG flights over the past week, which, I thought, has the lowest probability of flying a Polarised B772. The aircraft can come from FRA, PEK, PVG, GRU or even EWR (GRU-EWR). And a Polarised aircraft was used about half of the time. If you fly out of ORD, the probability is very high with the retrofitted aircraft. Good luck with switching to Polaris/PP birds (or not switch if you grab a Polaris First seat).

Edit: Unlucky switch at T-6 h from 2 K (formerly Polaris First) to 2L (Polaris) for my flight today. I changed to a row 12 window seat promptly. I was not sure of 7A.

Last edited by Kmxu; Nov 14, 2018 at 6:25 am Reason: Switch at T-6 h

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.