Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

This seatmap is being used for all flights will an sUA 777-200ER scheduled. It is being used to guard against equipment swaps into one of the three possible seating configurations: legacy sUA 3-class (8F/40J and 3-3-3 in Y), 2-class Polaris (50J and 3-4-3Y), and 3-class Polaris/PE (50J/24W and 3-4-3 Y). The actual seatmap for the aircraft assigned to your flight will become available when the flight is added to the normal Flight Status display, approximately 60 hours before departure (usually overnight).

Blocks in Economy are at all 'F' seats, plus 20CH, 21BJ, 22BJ, and 35ABCDE (the last for accommodation). The blocks are designed so that, regardless of which equipment flies, no one will be moved or scrambled when the seatmap updates. Instead, some seats will unblock and some blocked seats may be deleted based on the real configuration, and then some rows may be added. This process is similar to that for the 757-300, 737-900, and other frames with uncertain configurations.

Some danger remains if there are more equipment swaps after the initial frame assignment, and the change from F/J to Polaris in the forward cabins is not a well-defined mapping.

Premium Economy, if on the plane used, would be Rows 20-22, Seats AB[ ]DEFG[ ]KL

Similarly, as Premium Plus is added to the existing Polaris 773s, Rows 19/20/21 seats B & K are not shown, to accommodate potential swaps between PP & non-PP equipped aircraft.

It is speculated that once PP is offered as a true separate cabin. UA will focus the PP equipped aircraft on a few selected routes to minimize the swap risk.
Print Wikipost

Interim 77x seatmaps with Polaris seats & potentially Premium Economy (2018-19))

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geometry
... I assume if I change my seat to row 33 now, ,,,
are you talking about 772 or 773?
... if UA uses a 777-300ER with PP. (in which case row 33 become row 45?) ..
Exit row on the 773 is Row 39
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA, LH, BA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
are you talking about 772 or 773?
Exit row on the 773 is Row 39
sorry, I meant row 39 on 773.... but on the same route, there's frequent substituion using the 772 with row 45 being exit row...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
sorry, I meant row 39 on 773.... but on the same route, there's frequent substituion using the 772 with row 45 being exit row...
When there is an aircraft swap, seating re-assignments can be a bit of a mystery. Most anything can happen.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When there is an aircraft swap, seating re-assignments can be a bit of a mystery. Most anything can happen.
guess I'll just have to take my chances....

have been monitoring SFO-NRT-SFO for a while now... some have 2-4-2 Premium Economy setas, but on other days, it swapped back to the old 3-4-3 E+.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
guess I'll just have to take my chances....

have been monitoring SFO-NRT-SFO for a while now... some have 2-4-2 Premium Economy setas, but on other days, it swapped back to the old 3-4-3 E+.
Are you looking at random flights or the flight you are on? If it is random flights then that seems normal as changes roll in. If you find a pattern then good luck! The only flight you need to start watching is the one that you are on and my experience of this is to start watching a week out then about T-72 you might start seeing some changes (or not of course), and then about T-24-30 the seatmap will become "solid" and seems to stick. What I mean by solid is that you do not have the pseudo seatmap any longer. But checking random flights between now and then, even on the same route, is pointless imho.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Are you looking at random flights or the flight you are on? If it is random flights then that seems normal as changes roll in. If you find a pattern then good luck! The only flight you need to start watching is the one that you are on and my experience of this is to start watching a week out then about T-72 you might start seeing some changes (or not of course), and then about T-24-30 the seatmap will become "solid" and seems to stick. What I mean by solid is that you do not have the pseudo seatmap any longer. But checking random flights between now and then, even on the same route, is pointless imho.
what's the legroom like for seats 19A or 19L in premium economy on 777-300ER? Can someone who's 6'3" fully extend his legs?

or is he better off selecting exit row window or aisle for now to guarantee unlimited legroom?

thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
My mother (a gold member) will be flying ORD-PEK 2/3 and return a few weeks later. She mentioned the seat map looked different than usual. When I took a look, it looked the same as the one in this thread with the seats blocked. She is in 20D on the out bound and 24C on the return. Should I warn her to keep a close eye on her seat assignments for possible changes?
Flying just prior to chinese new year, I think her odds of an op-up are better on the outbound anyways.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:02 pm

what's the legroom like for seats 19A or 19L in premium economy on 777-300ER? Can someone who's 6'3" fully extend his legs?

or is he better off selecting exit row window or aisle for now to guarantee unlimited legroom?

thanks!
I sat in the PP bulkhead on a 777-300ER this weekend, though in my case the first PE row was 20. There were miles of legroom - seriously, about the most I've ever seen in a Y bulkhead. I ended up in 20C, the aisle seat in the middle section. One downside of those center seats--which you won't experience in either of the flanking 2-seaters--is that the distance from seat to bulkhead is so great many pax treat it like a cross-over highway between aisles. I'd definitely choose the bulkhead AB or KL seats over any others in that PP cabin, both for legroom and privacy.

To answer your original question, the guy next to me was over 6', and his feet didn't begin to touch the wall. The seats are wider than E+ seats, though the wider armrests leave the seat itself close to regular E width. The recline is greater at 7", and there are questionably useful footrests. So yes, take PP over the exit row. I'm not sure the total experience is worth the extra expense down the road, though. I'd probably spring for the 2-seaters, but not for center PP seats except on a redeye or very long flight.

As a different data point, I'm Platinum, and didn't get bumped from the PP section.

Last edited by mehitabel; Jan 6, 2019 at 10:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks!
It is row 20 in P+. There is lots of legroom (I'm 6'1") but I do not want to say for certain you can fully extend for the reason that I cannot remember! (I''m shaking my head in disbelief at myself that I cannot remember, sorry !!!).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
anyone book a 77W and choose rows 19,20,21 (where it is booked as a 2 person row) then when flying it was just a regular 77W plane and had their seat assignment moved?? Just curious to what seats they would move you too since PP is actually is 20,21,22 (just curious as I fly SFO-HKG next thurs and was wondering if I should just choose a reg E+ seat)

THANKS
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by whitethunder
anyone book a 77W and choose rows 19,20,21 (where it is booked as a 2 person row) then when flying it was just a regular 77W plane and had their seat assignment moved?? Just curious to what seats they would move you too since PP is actually is 20,21,22 (just curious as I fly SFO-HKG next thurs and was wondering if I should just choose a reg E+ seat)

THANKS
I"m wondering the same thing... I'm booked in row 19, but the flight has been operated with 777-300ER with premium economy seats lately.(no 19, just 20/21/22) I guess this means I'll be guaranteed an involuntary seat change sooner or later?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No-one knows and no amount of guess work is going to be able to find it out. There are lots of different tales of who/how/where they got bumped but there is no definitive answer. I am not even sure is is worth speculating upon. My "strategy" is to start watching my flight about a week out - and even then I think that is over-egging it - but at T-72 I am watching it like a hawk to try and react to anything I may find unpleasant. And then pray.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:32 pm

UA40 & 41

I am looking to book return Newark to Rome end of June to mid July. UA 40 and 41 are both 777-200s. If United allows me to select seat 2k (old first class) for a business class price does that mean the plane is not scheduled for a retrofit until later? Is there a schedule out there somewhere? Thanks in advance for any information.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Madiah
I am looking to book return Newark to Rome end of June to mid July. UA 40 and 41 are both 777-200s. If United allows me to select seat 2k (old first class) for a business class price does that mean the plane is not scheduled for a retrofit until later? Is there a schedule out there somewhere? Thanks in advance for any information.
I have not kept up to date with how many 772s have been Polarized but the last time I checked it was 13 of them. Most probably by June there will be more so your flight can always be swapped for a Polarized plane. You will not really know until 60 hours before your flight and that can change back until time of departure.

If you are 1K or GS, UA will allow you to select seat 2K. However, if your plane is swapped to a Polarized plane, most probably you'll get 2L which is not as good for privacy as an odd window seat. It's just a matter of babysitting your reservation.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jan 10, 2019 at 12:49 pm Reason: changed 11 to 13
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:33 pm

Thanks. A good fare so I will roll the dice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.